Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2022, 17:38   #1

Question Family dog is getting old... Some ideas.

So... sadly... our family dog is getting older and she's changing.* She's the only dog we ever had that we boarded at a fancy dog place when we travelled -- and she loved it.* But now, as she ages, she is VERY nervous when we leave her, and she can tell if we're getting ready for another trip.

We like to travel by boat - often 3 weeks at a time. Our boat is small, and is definitely "dinghy challenged" but, as a family, we are willing to change out trips from "on the anchor" to going to marinas (heck, the money we save on boarding will pay for the marinas LOL)... so that part of the equation can be solved and the pup could, in theory, come with us. (For a few anchor nights... we thought about the turf patch on the rear deck.)
Similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Artificial-Tr.../dp/B08L6SSCRD

The next variable is if we go on a day trip or something.* She's NOT destructive, and she's good if we're gone for a day (she is fully housebroken, etc.) -- so the next portion would be: take her, use marinas, and leave her on the boat when we go where ever we go.* Just like leaving her home when we go where ever.

I can even set up a t-stat alarm if something goes sideways with the air conditioning in the cabin of the boat.* Plenty of water, etc.* I know that there is always the risk with a floating boat and pet, but -- that's not much different than a house catching fire or something, I suppose. (?).

I'm mostly typing this to think-it-out in my own head... but if anyone has any thoughts, it would be great. She's a VERY important part of our family, as I'm sure all the pet owners here feel the same.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2022, 21:34   #2

Re: Family dog is getting old... Some ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
S...But now, as she ages, she is VERY nervous when we leave her, and she can tell if we're getting ready for another trip...
At least on the issue of nervousness, weather-permitting, a swaddle vest (e.g. Thundershirt) can be a godsend for some dogs.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 04:17   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

My dog is too old and mobility-restricted to sail with us. :-( But there are countless sailing and power boat youtubers out there who seem to do it quite successfully. So it certainly is doable. ("Scho and Jo" with their dog Ollie is one of the best I've seen for traveling with a dog on a smallish -- 34' -- trawler).

I'd suggest baby steps for you. Start off with short 1/2 day trips and extend them a little at a time. Experiment. Stay at a marina and take brief trips off the boat with and without your dog. Anchor and take the dinghy out with and without your dog. See what works and what his/her tolerances are. Figure out what works and what doesn't.

You won't know until you try.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:23   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

They are dear to us - sources of unconditional love, at the level of "Please Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am."

Our Scupper (terrierist) joined us while we were living on the boat. I built a ramp for him to scurry up from the forward cabin to the main salon, and added the pee pad on the fantail - which resulted in our discovering that he could last 28 hours if needed.

So love her, and do your best by her, and give her a good life in exchange for all that she has contributed to your family. You will lose her, and there are risks involved in every choice you make for her, because even kennels burn down. Know that you did your best for her, and that you made the best decisions with the information you had at the time. That's the best deal any dog can hope for.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:31   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

You will need to check the requirements of your destinations when travelling with a pet. Is your dog still agile? We made a platform that fits the companionway ladder and settee by the galley so our dog (fourteen years old 45#) could get in/out of the cabin. Also usable as a 'gang plank' when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Platform in place.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	260787  
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:12   #6

Boat: Fleming 58

I highly recommend train your dog to use Pee Pads. They are highly effective. We
Carlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:25   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We always took Angus our 40kg labradoodle with us when we had him. The dinghy malarkley was always interesting and I feared we would both get very wet one day, but he understood and was calm after a couple of days of the run ashore.

Today our Cockapoo and Boston Terrior are more manageable in and out of the dinghy, but we don't leave them on board for more than an hour at most.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dog.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	260789  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:27   #8

How did you do it when you went someplace without the dogs for the day?
Old 10-07-2022, 08:58   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

I know how you feel! I’ve lived aboard for three years with two Rottweilers, and the older one is starting to have issues. His hips are starting to give him pain, and in compensating for that he torn his CCL in his left knee. Had surgery for that 7 weeks ago, and he and my wife have been living with a friend ashore since then. Hopefully he’ll be strong enough to come back aboard in another 4 weeks or so, but things are only going to get more challenging as he’s not getting any younger. We will just have to love him and do the best we can. In the meantime it’s just me and his little (75lb!) sister on the boat, on a mooring. Suffice it to say, she has me wrapped around her little paw ;-)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:20   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
How did you do it when you went someplace without the dogs for the day?
WE always take them with us, even to this rather impressive monastery, more so when chatting to one of the monks, he said this monastery is only temporary until we decide were to finally build

If we are shopping, wifey goes inside and I hang about outside until she returns with the heavy stuff, then we swop dogs for heavy items like wine, gin and milk. Charity shops and chandlers, we just ask and normally not problem. Pubs and yacht clubs often have a beer garden to sit out and eat etc.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0616.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	260791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0618 (1).JPG
Views:	49
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	260792  

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 17:22   #11

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

I understand the space constraints on a small foredeck, but perhaps my solution could be scaled down a bit. On my 42’ GB, we got an outdoor rug for the foredeck. We made holes in the corners and ran rope through them in such a way as to create long “handles” which we use to dunk the rug over the side for a saltwater rinse (after cleaning up the poop and stowing it in a secure trash bag).

The rug is heavy enough that it won’t blow away before the dog can use it, and eliminates the need to carry and constantly source (and pay for) pee pads. Training the dog was a piece of cake, just put the rug down where your dog normally goes and put him on the rug instead. I did this twice and my dog uses the rug all the time without any prompting from us. Just roll the rug up and stow it when you’re underway. Good luck!
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 17:29   #12

Boat: Just Learning

As a dog trainer - the turf/fake grass matts are ABSOLUTELY superior to pee pads in every way. It's MUCH easier to get dogs reliable about using them. (My personal theory is that the different texture underfoot makes it easier for them to 'aim'.

I'd recommend getting a good-sized patch (for a 30-50 pound medium sized dog, I'd recommend at least 2x2' (4 sf) but 3x3 or 4x4' is even better (keeping in mind that a 4x4 will be heavy when wet- most of the clients I recommend these for are using them on apartment patios and washing with bleachwater every other day and scooping after every use.)

Can't speak to the rest of it - but that part at least, you're on the right track.
OffTheCharts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family