Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2017, 06:31   #31

Boat: Carver 356
Re: Documentation renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
OK, I have to admit, I was annoyed with this as kind of a buyer beware scenario, but after looking at the facebook page and the reviews any doubt is gone. I cannot imagine that anyone doing business where they have to generate what appears to be fake reviews could then claim legitimacy in any form. Either your a liar or not...right?

Tkeeth, yes you are right that this is a "buyers beware scenario".
The whole purpose of this thread and threads like it on other boating forums, is to give boaters a "heads' up" so they don't fall for this like me and many others.
Once the word gets out about these people, it won't take long for this cash cow to dry up. The little bit of revenue the company gets won't even cover the postage costs of mailing all of these fake letters.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 06:44   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Chuck34,
Thank you very much for posting this topic.
I received this letter last week and was just about to go to the website and "process" my USCG DOC renewal when I saw your post.
Very much appreciate your heads-up about this scam.
Liam.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 07:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Chuck34,
Thank you very much for posting this topic.
I received this letter last week and was just about to go to the website and "process" my USCG DOC renewal when I saw your post.
Very much appreciate your heads-up about this scam.
Liam.
Thanks. Glad to help. Now do whatever you can to spread the word.

There are a lot of pissed off boaters who fell for this. I read a post on another forum where one guy signed up for the 5 year plan....$375. He is really pissed.
Old 25-05-2017, 08:01   #34

Boat: Carter offshore 35

KenK
Glad you got your money back. Keep an eye on your mail you may just get your Documentation. I got mine minus 2 months and it has been over 6 weeks and nothing more from VISA. Everyone should dispute it with their credit card company they have nothing to lose it doesn't cost anything. I seriously doubt they will dispute as they could end up losing their VISA account. Don't forget to file a mail fraud charge with the Postal Inspectors The web site is on BoatUS. I also just read the USCG is finally taking an interest in scam and is investigating them. Defiantly fraud as they over charge and you lose time on your present documentation while making you think you are dealing with the USCG.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 08:26   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
I also just read the USCG is finally taking an interest in scam and is investigating them. Defiantly fraud as they over charge and you lose time on your present documentation while making you think you are dealing with the USCG.
Where did you read this? Do you have a link?
Old 25-05-2017, 08:40   #36

Well, I've yet to receive the letter from these folks. Maybe they have crawled back under their rock, but apparently some are still receiving these letters. At least I learned not to renew early with the real coast guard site and lose a month.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 16:51   #37

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Where did you read this? Do you have a link?
No. I've been to so many sites on this I can't remember which one I read it on. Supposedly the USCG has had so many complaints and people thinking it was them that they are investigating it. If I find it again I will post the link.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 18:09   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Anyone ever had a survey done by the guy running this scam ?
"John Soria"

PS. He's just closed his Facebook page. but his surveying website is still up.

PS.PS. He also has a law suit going on with his web designers

Looks like the heat getting to him.
Old 25-05-2017, 18:22   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Anyone ever had a survey done by the guy running this scam ?
"John Soria"

PS. He's just closed his Facebook page. but his surveying website is still up.

PS.PS. He also has a law suit going on with his web designers

Looks like the heat getting to him.
I was just on his facebook page. There are several more 1 star reviews than there were a few days ago.
Old 25-05-2017, 18:24   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
I was just on his facebook page. There are several more 1 star reviews than there were a few days ago.
I was just ther too. It said "Permanently Closed"
Old 26-05-2017, 07:09   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I was just ther too. It said "Permanently Closed"
Do they have 2 facebook pages? I was on one early this am. I'd look now but I can't access facebook on my work computer.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:14   #42

Last April, I disputed the $75 fee with my Visa provider, claiming fraud.

Yesterday, Visa denied my dispute. A Visa rep said the company sent an 18 page letter claiming uscgdocumentation.us clearly started on their web site (in light grey text at bottom of each page) that they were not affiliated with the USCG documentation center.

I hope others have better luck disputing the $75 free with their credit card provider.
jeffatds9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:16   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatds9 View Post
Last April, I disputed the $75 fee with my Visa provider, claiming fraud.

Yesterday, Visa denied my dispute. A Visa rep said the company sent an 18 page letter claiming uscgdocumentation.us clearly started on their web site (in light grey text at bottom of each page) that they were not affiliated with the USCG documentation center.

I hope others have better luck disputing the $75 free with their credit card provider.

I would not give up so quickly. Send your own letter stating why you think this is fraud. In fact another poster made a very good case right here on this thread.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:19   #44

Post 15 gives a good summary.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:13   #45

This is from the Coast Guard.

May 16, 2017 Safety Advisory 01-17. Washington, DC

Coast Guard Certificate of Documentation Services

Be Aware of Third Party Service Providers

The U.S. Coast Guard’s National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC), located in Falling Waters, West Virginia, is the only entity authorized to issue Certificates of Documentation (CODs), Form CG- 1270, valid for a period of one year from date of issuance. This document is required for vessels engaged in Commercial trade and is optional for vessels five net tons and over engaged in recreational use/activities.

The NVDC is aware that there are commercial entities that offer to manage the certification/renewal process on behalf of vessel owners for a fee. The Coast Guard does not endorse any of these companies, and the companies do not operate on behalf of the Coast Guard in any way. Any fees charged beyond the $26 renewal fee, to include other fees found in title 46 CFR 67.550, or other agreements offered by such companies are in no way associated with the NVDC certification process. In addition, these companies are not authorized to issue any form of documentation, including travel letters and/or permits that authorize operation of ANY vessel.

Persons interested in conducting business directly with NVDC should visit the official Coast Guard website at: THE ONLY OFFICIAL SITE FOR US GOVERNMENT VESSEL DOCUMENTATION SERVICES, NATIONAL VESSEL DOCUMENTATION CENTER.. NOTE: The only legitimate Coast Guard website offering documentation uses a “.mil” domain name. Web domains using “.us,” “.com,” “.org” are not authorized.

To obtain official forms, visit the USCG NVDC website or contact NVDC at (800) 799-8362 or (304) 271-2400. Phone hours are 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday; phones are not manned on Thursdays.

Application packages and documents eligible for filing (in .pdf format) can be e-mailed to nvdc.pdf.filing@uscg.mil or faxed to (304) 271-2405. COD Renewal requests (Form CG-1280) are accepted via vdc-pf-nvdcrenewals@uscg.mil with credit card payment of $26.00 via Form CG-7042.

The following products may be ordered online: Renewals (Form CG-1280), Late Renewals (Form CG-1280), Abstract of Title (Form CG-7043) and Certified Copy of COD (Form CG-7043) requests. From the main page, follow the “Order Products Online” link. The Fee Schedule can be found here: http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/fee%20sch.pdf

Users are encouraged to register to receive notices and updates via e-mail by utilizing NVDC’s email subscription service. From the main page, follow the "Subscribe to NVDC Information" link. Please report any issues to the NVDC Webmaster. Customer complaints regarding false service providers can be made through the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) website at http://www.ftc.gov/.

This Safety Advisory is provided for informational purposes only and does not relieve any domestic or international safety, operational or material requirement. Developed by the Coast Guard’s National Vessel Documentation Center and distributed by the Office of Investigations and Casualty Analysis, Washington DC. Questions may be sent to nvdc.w.webmaster@uscg.mil.

Tags
documentation, men