Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 16:30   #76

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: Columbus Day: The Myth Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Genetics is now playing an important role in rewriting History. It is contravening many historic inaccuracies with introconvertible scientific truth since DNA doesn't lie. A professor of human genetics at Oxford University, Brian Sykes, has written a fascinating book called "Blood of the Isles" which traces the genetic ancestry of England and Ireland showcasing the influence of the Vikings, early Germanic tribes, Celts and the Romans. This is a must read for any serious history junkies. Also, for about $250. U.S. he will send you a lab kit that will trace your genetic history with an explanation of the results.
I wish I had more time (and higher IQ) to learn about our genetic history. I can't think of anything more fascinating (except boats :-) than comparing written and genetic history and following the movements of people.

I had my and my two children's DNA tested via this company https://www.23andme.com/

23andme'sfocus is more medical than historical but they do provide considerable info about mtdna and y DNA in a historical context. I discovered that both my kids have AAT alpha 1 anti-trypsin deficiency. Short version is that it is what causes people to develop emphysema. It may have saved their lives. If they had taken up smoking or drinking they potentially could be on supplemental oxygen by the time they are 30 years old. Forewarned is forearmed!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 16:38   #77

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: Columbus Day: The Myth Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
The haplogroup I1 population in Polermo could also have been introduced from the Baltic and Southern Scandinavia via the Goths and Vandals who for a while controlled the island.
I learned something new, thank you.

I still have to go with Viking influence based on the fact that I1 developed thousands of years ago and yet no group of people between Sicily and Scandinavia have even close to 30% Of haplogroup I1. While the Goths and Vandals surely had some I1, I dont see any evidence along their migration routes that they had that high a percentage. I don't see any other explanation.

But that's why I love this stuff, I could be proved wrong at the very next exciting discovery!

Christopher Columbus was a Viking fer sure.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote