Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 16:29   #91

Re: Capsize vs Sinking Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Its all about the HEAVY LEAD WEIGHT ATTACHED TO THE BOTTOM of a Mono.
No,
because 99% of them have no reserve buoyancy. They can and have been built unsinkable.
Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 17:40   #92

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Never gave it a single thought.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 18:11   #93

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I have survived sinking on two commercial vessels, so listen closely... it doesn't matter how many hulls or how many life rafts you have aboard... if you have a will to live, chances are you will survive. If you put your faith in anything other than a will to live, you won't! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 19:00   #94

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Gosh, never really thought about it ... till now! Thanks a lot!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 20:43   #95

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

I thought about this as I read the thread, and I have to say, given the sheer volume of old fiberglass and even wood or ferrocement boats out there still on the waterways including the oceanic and nearshore/inshore paths, the chance of capsize and/or sinking is being highly inflated by people's fears relative to these issues. Most of the lost vessels I have heard of in my life were lost either by fires (bad wiring and cooking and engine accidents) or by storms (and often the vessel was tossed onto higher ground or into a tree by storm surge, or impaled or crushed by another boat or pier in the storm).

I have no doubt my relatively (to most of the people here) small 27 foot vessel will handle inland waters just fine. I also have no doubt she would handle six foot wind waves fine, and swells even higher, as long as the slope and wave period are not terribly steep (ie., I am not in a severe tropical or cold core low storm in open sea). I have seen what 20+ foot seas look and act like in the North Atlantic, and have seen the damage the waves alone can do to a steel hull. I have no illusions about this. That said....

If a person will keep the hoses and valves to the few seacocks on even a relatively seaworthy monohull in good repair, watch for damage in the hull prior to departure and underway, attend to maintenance on the durable structures of the vessel on a regular and ongoing basis, and keep the rigging in tune and good repair while attending to sail inspection on a regular basis with maintenance repairs of same, there is no reason a boat with an experienced crew cannot make long trips, assuming of course they have sufficient funds to provision and storage to make it from one land location to the next.

However, I don't think that the science of monohulls lends itself to them remaining inverted should one turtle temporarily, and that when they revert to upright state, they make EXCELLENT lifeboats should such occur, provided someone is dumping floodwater into the sink drains and/or cockpit, also provided these drains are running clearly and that the person keeps at it while running whatever bilge pumps they have at their disposal.

I don't think I will likely be able to own a cat in my life because they cost a great deal more than I can seem to scrabble together at any point, and I can afford a LOT more monohull quality and resto than I can afford stripped catamaran. I therefore do not fear capsize as much as sinking, but I also don't fear sinking that much either.

So, given I am using the mono only for comparison and sinking versus capsize, I think capsize and sink are equally unlikely, and if one does happen, well, at least I was able to get out there and enjoy something I love, the ocean and the animals and winds inhabit and caress her, vindictive as the beeotch may occasionally be.
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 03:13   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Given the two propositions, I can't see how anyone would pick sinking monohull over capsized catamaran. It's like being asked if you'll rather be shot in the head or have your wrist cut off.
NOt a good example. Cutting wrist off is better. Can stop the bleeding and fix. but shot in the head... not so much... Ive seen a lot of both so is real world experience.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 03:19   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Reminds me of the story of the old dying sea captain in his bed with the family around to say their goodbyes.

The ole mariner looked at his wife and said... "Martha, youve been with me 60 years. When we lost the house to the storm in '38, you were there. When we foundered on the rocks in '42 and lost the boat, you were there, When we were building the new boat in '44 and the fire broke out and burned the boat and the house down, you were by my side. And now Im dying, here you are along side me. Kinda been bad luck all my life ainch ya...."
Old 28-11-2016, 03:24   #98
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

LOL...Weavis.... Near Death Awareness will do that to you!
[emoji3]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 03:39   #99

Boat: I don't have a boat yet. Shopping

I got over it in the Navy.

Was aboard the USS Mount Whitney in a force five Hurricane off Cuba.

The theater showed continual repeats of the "Poseidon Adventure" the theater's chairs were not bolted to the floor, so the entire audience kept sliding from one side of the room to the other.

We managed to really roll deep on the Poseidon's capsizing moment on one movie repeat, the whole audience was piled up on one side of the room. It was a heart stopping moment. Life imitating art?

I never worried about capsizing again after that.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 03:46   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When I was taking my first solo at age 16, my mother asked me if I had a fear of flying. I told her "No. Flying is cool. Crashing not so much.."

I have never thought about capsizing or sinking. I have done all the prep work for the event however, its like driving a car, I dont consciously think about having an accident. Deal with it IF it happens but dont borrow trouble... I have a waterproof grab bag, a prepared life raft and provisions aboard it. I check it every 2 months and change out the water and check nothing has been compromised. Its a job to do, not a worry to consume my thinking.

I was once with 2 friends on my boat on top of a 30 foot swell with the vision before me of a huge hole in the water... I was fascinated that we would be surfing down the wave... my buddies were collectively unhappy... As it happened, the underneath of the wave surfaced in front of us and guided us down gently.. My friends were REALLY worried. I guess that I am the sort that can put trust in the boat under my feet.

(Actually, Im a fatalist-it will either work or it will not....The odds are in our favour.)

Old 28-11-2016, 07:48   #101

Boat: Skookum 53'

Although I loathe the statement "Plan for the worst, and hope for the best." I do operate that way. I am far more concerned about a collision at night than taking on water or rolling over. That keeps me awake because, I know my relief watch stander does not have my experience. I have two video cameras in my engine compartment and keep a weather eye on them. Where to find the fish keeps me awake more than anything. You are in far greater danger of being damaged by bacteria than external threats. Most days I breath deep the sea air and give thanks to the Great Spirit for allowing my to live another day on the ocean.
Old 01-12-2016, 20:43   #102

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

Even being a mono man, I too would prefer to be on a capsized cat than a mono where I step up into the life raft. Cats also carry life rafts, or should.
It's 6 of one, 5 of the,other ....
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 22:09   #103

With my Multi I had every chance of flipping.
With my Mono I have very little chance of sinking.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, size