Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 23:55   #1

Boat: Vindö 45
Blog provider or other way to keep in touch

Dear community,

till recently, I was on Facebook and shared my vacation (also sailing) experiences with my friends through it. I have closed my FB account after the recent change of their privacy policy.

I also have a blog on the German Segeln-Forum, but only registered members can access it, moreover it is in German.

Now, I would like to find a way to share my experiences and show some photos to my (not so numerous, but still living in different corners of the world) friends. I was thinking about just email, but probably this will be too cumbersome for everybody.

Perhaps I should start a kind of blog in English? Will a provider respect my privacy settings? Will I retain the ownership of my photos? does it make a sense for somebody, whose only experiences are 1-2 weeks of sailing per year?
Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 00:04   #2

Re: Blog provider or other way to keep in touch

Just add a link to a translation page and your German blog is available in any language.

Not sure about the platform you are using but you may be able to export your posts and put them in a new public blog format. We use wordpress but there are several options.

Are you a professional photographer? If someone can pull it up (even if they must sign in), expect that photos can find their way onto the larger web...but there are billions of photos being uploaded daily so the odds of yours being something to be picked up would be unusual.

That said, if you are just blogging 1-2weeks per year, outside of close friends and family, I doubt many would follow it anyway. Doesn't mean it isn't worth doing just don't expect hundreds of hits every time you post.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 00:15   #3

Yes I mean rather close friends and family.
I do not expect high hitcounts - basically, I do not think I have great writing nor photography skills. I have in mind something like showing photos from my album to my friends, who just happen to be too scattered to appear at my fireplace...

The blog at the Segeln-Forum has a drawback that it limits the number of photos to 5 per entry:

https://www.segeln-forum.de/user/blog19749-browning/

I think I will give the WordPress a try...
Old 25-02-2015, 01:18   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I've just started using wordpress. Works great, although their help functionis not made for dummies like me.

Best of all - it is free

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 08:06   #5

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

I just make a Word document, insert pix from computer and then write long captions. The more photos and the less text, the better I've found. I have had no problems with including 10 pix because I guess the amount of band with is less with pix in Word.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 08:38   #6

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

If you purchase your own domain, you have complete control over privacy.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 08:53   #7

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

We use www.blogger.com. It is easy to start a blog. You can post pics and if you set it up that way you can allow readers to post on your posts as well. I think Google owns it now. We used to post from internet cafes ashore, with our PC ashore, or sometimes via Sailmail and our SSB.

You can look at our blog at SVMaggieDrum - Web Log of a Whitby 42 Sailing Vessel but you can set up your blog at www.blogger.com or direct through google.com. It is free. You can put on links to other blogs, sites, etc.

There are many other blog sites out there though where you can do the same thing.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 11:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlathom View Post
I just make a Word document, insert pix from computer and then write long captions. The more photos and the less text, the better I've found. I have had no problems with including 10 pix because I guess the amount of band with is less with pix in Word.
Do I understand it correctly: you just mail this Word document around then, right?
Old 26-02-2015, 11:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
If you purchase your own domain, you have complete control over privacy.
The more I give away for such things, the less I will have for the boat, when the buing time comes