Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 15:45   #106

Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
BE VERY CAREFUL

So if vessel of any size has been classified as an inspected vessel and has a USCG Certificate of Inspection, OUPV License can not used.
If this vessel is 50 Tons or less the 50 Ton License would be good.

If a 100 Ton or less vessel has been classified as an Uninspected vessel then both the OUPV or the 50 Ton License can be used.

So the real question is when do you need to get the USCG Certificate of Inspection.

I do not know all the rules for when you have to get a USCG Certificate of Inspection, maybe someone else can explain.
Potential references as to certificate of inspection.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/2.01-5

https://www.offshoreinjuryfirm.com/m...f-inspection-/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 18:26   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Quote:
BE VERY CAREFUL
If you are looking for a loop hole in the rules, that loop hole might turn into a noose.

Lets review
1. The Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels License (OUPV 6 pack) is restricted to
Uninspected Vessels up to 100 Tons AND no more then 6 passengers

2. The 50 Ton License is restricted to
Uninspected Vessels up to 100 Tons AND no more then 6 passengers
Inspected Vessels up to 50 Tons with as many passengers the vessel is permitted to have.

So if vessel of any size has been classified as an inspected vessel and has a USCG Certificate of Inspection, OUPV License can not used.
If this vessel is 50 Tons or less the 50 Ton License would be good.

If a 100 Ton or less vessel has been classified as an Uninspected vessel then both the OUPV or the 50 Ton License can be used.

So the real question is when do you need to get the USCG Certificate of Inspection.

I do not know all the rules for when you have to get a USCG Certificate of Inspection, maybe someone else can explain.

The other difference is OUPV is limited to 100 miles offshore.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:29   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
The other difference is OUPV is limited to 100 miles offshore.
It depends on your Sea Service.

Your Sea Service will also decide what type of water you can be a Captain in.
1. Inland Waters - Great Lakes, rivers and Lakes
2. Near Coastal - Includes Inland Waters and up to 100 miles off shore
3. Ocean - Includes Inland Waters, Near Coastal and Oceans.

Captain1 has an OUPV license for Near Coastal because his Sea Service has been in Near Coastal Waters.
Captain2 has a 50 Ton License but because he only sailed in lakes he is restricted to Inland Waters.
Captain3 has an OUPV license for Inland Waters

If you have a charter fishing boat that is an inspected vessel because normally it takes out 10 paying passengers.
But this trip you only have 6 paying customers and you want to go out 20 miles offshore fishing, none of the Captains above are allowed to Captain this trip.

Captain1 is not allowed because it is an inspected vessel.
Captain2 is not allowed because it is in Near Coastal Waters.
Captain3 is not allowed because it is an inspected vessel and in Near Coastal Waters.

This will all be listed in your MMC.

PS If you have 720 Days on Lakes then you quality for Near Coastal.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:48   #109
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

2. Near Coastal - Includes Inland Waters and up to 100 miles off shore

Captain1 has an OUPV license for Near Coastal because his Sea Service has been in Near Coastal Waters.
Captain2 has a 50 Ton License but because he only sailed in lakes he is restricted to Inland Waters.

If you have a charter fishing boat that is an inspected vessel because normally it takes out 10 paying passengers.
But this trip you only have 6 paying customers and you want to go out 20 miles offshore fishing, none of the Captains above are allowed to Captain this trip.

Captain3 is not allowed because it is an inspected vessel and in Near Coastal Waters.

I hate stupid arguments- but when someone makes up facts-they need to be corrected.

OUPV's are capped at 100NM "OUPV Near Coastal endorsements may be limited to 100 miles offshore, Inland or Great Lakes in accordance with 46 CFR 11.467 and the service provided. No OUPV endorsement is valid for International voyages." see https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/charter_boat_captain/

Master NC are capped at our "economic exclusion zone" or 200 NM "Near coastal means ocean waters not more than 200 miles offshore." see https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...-sec10-104.pdf

Speaking to the USCG examiner I asked so what happens at 200NM? The answer? "No one cares!"

And for the record charter vessels can take out more than 6 passengers under a "Demise Agreement", this is a gray zone wherein the charter guest hires the vessel as a bareboat and then directly engages the licensed mariner. This is a BS loophole that the USCG should plug, but hasn't.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 06-01-2019, 07:32   #110
Marine Service Provider

At this point I suspect some are a little confused.

I will try to clarify.

If you have an OUVP License you do not automatically get to sail in Near Coastal waters.
You have to have an OUVP License for near coastal.

If you have a xxx Ton Licenses you do not automatically get to in sail Near Coastal waters.
You have to have xxx Ton License for near coastal.

Below is my earlier post with changes in bold.

2. Near Coastal - Includes Inland Waters and up to 100 miles off shore for OUVP and 200 Miles off shore for xxx Ton License.
OUVP is not allowed to get the Ocean Rating.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:52   #111
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
At this point I suspect some are a little confused.

I will try to clarify.

If you have an OUVP License you do not automatically get to sail in Near Coastal waters.
You have to have an OUVP License for near coastal.

If you have a xxx Ton Licenses you do not automatically get to in sail Near Coastal waters.
You have to have xxx Ton License for near coastal.

Below is my earlier post with changes in bold.

2. Near Coastal - Includes Inland Waters and up to 100 miles off shore for OUVP and 200 Miles off shore for xxx Ton License.
OUVP is not allowed to get the Ocean Rating.

There ya go. That is almost correct. Either can operate a vessel under a demise to the limits of thier license.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:02   #112
Marine Service Provider

Some have pointed out that getting a Captain License does not mean you are an experienced boater.

Well that depends.

The USCG requires a lot of time on a boat before they will give you the License.
This is the Sea Service form.
But what kind of boating time is it?

Everyone has different boats and boat in different areas, so their knowledge is different.

If your Sea Service has been on small sport fishing boats with a few buddies, I would not expect you to know how to sail a sailboat.

The way I look at it is
1. The Captains License just tells me that he has the correct paperwork and some general boating experience.
License, background check, drug test, medical test, knowledge of the USCG Rule, etc.
2. His SV or resume will give me the details about his boating experience and help me decide if he is right for the specific job.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:24   #113
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Some have pointed out that getting a Captain License does not mean you are an experienced boater... ...

The way I look at it is
1. The Captains License just tells me that he has the correct paperwork and some general boating experience.
License, background check, drug test, medical test, knowledge of the USCG Rule, etc.
2. His SV or resume will give me the details about his boating experience and help me decide if he is right for the specific job.

Wow- we agree 100%. There are test takers who specialize in minutia and there are mariners.

Happy to be in the second group.

Tags
captain, license