brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 22:32   #17

Re: Best Sailing channels on You Tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Ryon,
Great video!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
"Moxie Marlinspike" is more than just a great storyteller. He has a Wikipedia page devoted to his work in computer security and software development. He's something of a legend in the areas of secure protocols, cryptography, privacy, and internet anonymity.

And he's wildly popular with the girls! If it weren't for my square-rig sailing background and much better looks, I'd probably feel jealous.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:12   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
It's not a channel, but here's a great sailing documentary "Hold Fast":
It would appear to be a good documentary too so far.
I will have to put this one on my list to watch as time permits.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:43   #19

@travellerw

First off, thanks for mentioning my videos! I am glad you enjoyed!

Quote:
You do realize the shear amount of time it takes to produce those videos! One of the youtubers mentioned above told me they average 35 man hours per video. Plus the cost of the resources (cameras, laptops and fuel for power).

Now you may argue that "No one asks them to make those videos". Unfortunately that isn't true. They also shared with me that they get e-mails every week asking when the next video is.

I have no problem with any one of them requesting some support. Its not like any of them are being pushy. You are not obligated to donate anything.
I addressed this issue in another CruisersForum post, but this is very true. These videos are very expensive and time consuming to make (my Pacific videos took roughly 30 hours each to make - not including the 10 months of filming). Anyone can go on a vacation and make a single Youtube video/series about it, but if you want a channel that continuously releases quality videos, then you will have a hard time doing that for free.

In order to keep crewing on people's boats (or sailing your own boat around), you need both time and money. Even crewing, you have to pay for your flights to and from the boat, which aren't cheap, and often have to pitch in for cruising costs. Those of us born without a trust fund need to figure out a way to make money while at sea. One of those ways is to make videos/blogs about your experiences. Luckily for me, I love making videos as much as I love sailing. I've been making videos ever since I was a boy (I would actually convince my teachers in elementary/highschool to allow me to submit almost all projects/assigments in the form of videos).

Anyway, I had to take a break from sailing in 2014 to work and recoup my losses from the Pacific crossing and to save $ for my own boat (my dream is not to keep crewing on boats, but to cruise the world on my own boat). Note, I am not complaining about having to work to sail, but even a little income from my videos can allow me to work just one less day a week and would double the time I can spend with my boat/making videos.

Up until now, I had released all my videos for free and did not have a Patreon or Paypal account. But I came to the realization this year that if I want to keep releasing decent videos on a regular basis, then I need to start earning some sort of income on them. So I sold out, made a website (shaunsailing.com) and created a Patreon account. My goal is to make sailing videos that people will WANT to pay for. Imagine going to the movies and after watching the film having the choice to pay for the movie or not. Think of how much the quality of films would increase (haha)!

Send me a message if you guys are interested in hearing more, have any questions, or just want to vent at one of us Youtubers (haha).
ShaunSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:09   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Norseman 447

ShaunSailing -- right on! Internet content is taken for granted. I appreciate so very much those who recognize the value of internet content and provide support for you and us, and everyone out there. Now with facebooks entry into video and their algorithm model which completely EXCLUDES youtube videos.... we, as content creators are in for another shake-up.
benjiwoodboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing