Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2016, 04:38   #61

Re: Adventure Yachts brokerage experience

And by the way.. Thanks Ipasgas1 for bringing Chris Castles to my attention. I'm sorry you trust was misplaced.
JBBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 04:45   #62

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Personally, I don't believe your story. In any case, unless you were just born yesterday you would know that you can't sell a boat or house outside of the contract without incurring a commission from the broker.
You can absolutely write stipulations into any contract. His mistake was he relied on a verbal agreement instead of getting it in writing.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 07:02   #63

A lot of responses, some good some not. My point to all of this was to warn others so they would not find out the hard way as I did. My assumption was that a verbal agreement would trump the "standard" written contract. My legal counsel informed me that in Florida, verbal agreements cannot materially alter or affect written contracts. Some states yes, here no. I did not know that but I am guessing the broker did as he told me that they had sued others for the same and won more than the initial $5000. So, yes, I did read the contract...just assumed the verbal agreement would trump it. As far as posting on here...my hope is to prevent others from making my mistake. If it costs this broker more than the $2500 he got from me in lost commissions and contracts, so be it. I see nothing wrong with sharing my bad experience on as many forums as possible if it educates others and helps even one person from losing money as I did. For some reason, this offends some...sorry. Not really...
ipasgas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 07:05   #64

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

That's right...seems pretty simple. Not like it doesn't happen everyday, so you can't claim you were taken advantage of.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 07:07   #65

CS...BS...ugh...
ipasgas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 07:14   #66

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipasgas1 View Post
A lot of responses, some good some not. My point to all of this was to warn others so they would not find out the hard way as I did. My assumption was that a verbal agreement would trump the "standard" written contract. My legal counsel informed me that in Florida, verbal agreements cannot materially alter or affect written contracts. Some states yes, here no. I did not know that but I am guessing the broker did as he told me that they had sued others for the same and won more than the initial $5000. So, yes, I did read the contract...just assumed the verbal agreement would trump it. As far as posting on here...my hope is to prevent others from making my mistake. If it costs this broker more than the $2500 he got from me in lost commissions and contracts, so be it. I see nothing wrong with sharing my bad experience on as many forums as possible if it educates others and helps even one person from losing money as I did. For some reason, this offends some...sorry. Not really...
there are no good responses and some not so good. more so i see that you got a lot of responses you like and some not so much. a good many of those not so much suggest that your relying on a verbal statement to alter a written contract is naive at best an down right dumb at worst as an adult living in america. hearing such responses might not sound 'good' but ignore them at the peril of repeating your mistake. carry on.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 07:25   #67

Quote:
For some reason, this [post] offends some...sorry. Not really...
Yeah, sometimes these discussions get a little heated for one reason or another. All you can really do is try to get the info you're looking for, help others when you can, and then just watch.
Old 26-07-2016, 07:30   #68

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
For some reason, this offends some...sorry. Not really...
sorry? not really? this is more entertaining with each post.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 07:34   #69

It's not like I have never been taken, but I am willing to own my part in it, learn and change the way I do things. One that comes to mind is loaning money to friends and/or family members. I spotted a friend his months rent because he was coming up short. He never paid me back and it ruined the friendship. My take away?...Never loan more than you are willing to loose. Now I loan small amounts and never expect it back.
Ipasgas1, you can call BS all you want. Learn a lesson or not. But I would bet that you will read a contract next time. Life kinda works that way.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 26-07-2016, 07:42   #70

Well, several years ago I worked for a RE broker. I should have done my research, in fact I was advised not to work for him but I was young.

Turns out this guy had been to court several times, against clients as well as a few of the people who worked for him. I used to do open houses or step in to show his clients properties when he couldn't make it, thought I was helping out, doing the right thing. Then when I got done with that office, he screwed me out of about $3,000 and cited some BS stipulation saying that his office assistants went to one of my home inspections.

Long story short, I can sympathize with decent people who are lead to believe one thing, then get stiffed by people who have no problem lying or misleading. (Yes, as long as the story is true)
Old 26-07-2016, 07:52   #71

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
And calling someone a douchebag on a public forum would strengthen their integrity?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
That and I would be concerned that the OP could be sued for liable and lost revenue the $2500 would be the least of his worries.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 08:05   #72
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
Yeah, sometimes these discussions get a little heated for one reason or another. All you can really do is try to get the info you're looking for, help others when you can, and then just watch.

Good advice

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 08:22   #73

Seems like Adventure Yachts is now permanently closed.

I've seen businesses close before, and some of them grabbed for everything they could get at the end. AY may have acted this way because they knew they were closing.

http://imgur.com/qHlsuW2
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 10:48   #74

Hmmm...guess he should have waited to hork over the $2500 or at least challenge him in court. Lesson #2
Old 26-07-2016, 15:07   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Please keep in mind that we enforce our BE NICE rule that you all agreed to. Some posts have been deleted, either because they were rude and crude, or quoting the same.

Tags
enc, yacht