Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 20:13   #31

Boat: Tayana V 42
Re: Where to shop for liability insurance? Canadian boat going to Mexico.

Two types of insurance, Mexican Liability from a Mexican company and then if you want hull insurance usually get it from the country the boat is from--but must make sure limits cover the area you plan to travel and time of year.
James R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:26   #32

Boat: sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I've used Dolphin for the last few years too. Don't know how good they are to deal with as I haven't had a claim. Generally, insurance makes you feel secure until you need it.
A good insurance company is worth their weight in gold, I'm seeing that first hand right now in Fort Mac, some companies are helping, some are looking for loop holes. You're wise in asking these questions.

goat
i was insured by dolphin and tried to put in a claim. the adjuster led me down the garden path saying everything was good but in the end they didnt come thru on a technicality that i could have avoided if i hadnt listened to the adjuster. so ..... whos to blame...good question ....one must read all the fine print and not take anyones "word".
Shala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:17   #33

Boat: Catalina

Hi Red Herring, We took our boat down to Mexico last October, left from Nanaimo. I bought the $800.00 Lloyds of London, liability insurance from Dolphin Insurance in Vancouver. Maybe I paid too much, but it works in Mexico. That is the Marinas accept it, the border in Ensenada accepted it.
But I haven't made a claim yet so don't really know if it works.
One thing we did have a little problem with at the Mex. border was
my Canadian Boat licence. Ensenada wanted the boat Registered, not Licenced. However, they let me in because I had my Bill of Sale with me.
The marina people were very helpful getting us through customs at Ensenada.
atkinsoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 16:13   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
I needed it for mooring on buoys, and anchoring in some harbors, in Hawaii. Just called my house insurer, Allstate, and got a personal umbrella liability policy, that provides that coverage, for about $300 per year.
The Allstate umbrella policy will give you the "check in the block" liability required for harbors and such -- but read the fine print because if they do not use an underwriter used to writing marine/boat policies you may find yourself short on environmental clean up and salvage. Compare it to a REAL liability policy for recreational boats and ask specific questions about coverage and get those questions answered in writing.

Tags
insurance, Mexico