Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 23:39   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

For europe try
Second hand sailing boat ads - EYB

or scanboat.com

usd50 is probablyon the low side, unless you are a huge "handyman". Getting these boats blue water (blue water meaning ocean passage) ready usually adds a fair bit of change to the total bill

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:01   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I did a search in a few of the above links on Roberts and/or steel(hull) and 40' - 49' feet and quite a few listings popped up.

If yous don't have much money there was this Spray...

For a bit more there was this Offshore 44 (OK, so I'm partial)...

And the photos of this Roberts 4534 looked real purty (maybe if yous sweet talked the owner...).
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:09   #18
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
haha CSY Man what is that??
"motor sailor"? Always seemed like a weird idea to me
Old home made ferro boat that was sitting on a canal in my neighborhood for 20 years. Now on the bottom of the sea, thank God.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:00   #19

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
So Blue Agave my descripton called out to you eh.

Methinks youd be shocked at the number of people on this forum sailing in 10k, 20k.. even 5 k boats. One of my fav websites was by a guy who built a cat out of Softwood in his 20's, cruised w his gf for a couple years, sold it for materials to build a bigger one out of marine ply, then sold that one years later to buy a monohull... the guy cruised for decades.. One of his tricks was to buy his materials and equipment at lowes rather than buy the same thing at a marina for 4x the price because "pocketbook cruisers" said you had to.

i'm sorry you arent capable. But lots of people are.
Not above 40ft there aren't.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:35   #20
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourOldNemesis View Post
I don't think my expectations are unrealistic
Nearly everyone on yachtworld thinks otherwise
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:52   #21

Re: Where to Find Blue-Water Boats Online?

OP: What's your location? I think a vigalent (sp?) watch on Craig's list is probably a likely place to find what you are looking for. For instance, there was a Cape George 36 on CL for $15k. The boat looked pretty nice, but needed a new engine/rebuild, some tlc and two specific places of deck rot to be repaired. With a new engine and some work you could have had one of the best traditional design boats in the world for your $40K I imagine.... and had a new engine in the process. These deals some and go, the good ones go faster.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:19   #22

Check estate sales too. A lot of times they sell boats well below market.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 14:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Not above 40ft there aren't.

Really????

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...+2279+1473+942

And thats just YW not exactly known for "reasonably priced boats". A few more of you need to read my previous post...
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 14:51   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Old home made ferro boat that was sitting on a canal in my neighborhood for 20 years. Now on the bottom of the sea, thank God.
i honestly think thats what 99% of the ferroboats that actually get finished do.. thoough ive read of a few people who bluewater them all over the place. Thought about it myself 15 years ago.. til i realised you can get a slightly smaller guttable hull for the price of the components.. that they took a century of labor to build and.. oh ya.. that even the best ones were absolutely hideous..
Old 09-08-2013, 17:33   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
So Blue Agave my descripton called out to you eh.

Methinks youd be shocked at the number of people on this forum sailing in 10k, 20k.. even 5 k boats. One of my fav websites was by a guy who built a cat out of Softwood in his 20's, cruised w his gf for a couple years, sold it for materials to build a bigger one out of marine ply, then sold that one years later to buy a monohull... the guy cruised for decades.. One of his tricks was to buy his materials and equipment at lowes rather than buy the same thing at a marina for 4x the price because "pocketbook cruisers" said you had to.

i'm sorry you arent capable. But lots of people are.
Say, that scheme sounds a lot like Hot Rod and the Flyin' Hawaiian, and he is about to depart on a trip to the South Pacific... so you must be right!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-08-2013, 18:14   #26

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Really????

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...+2279+1473+942

And thats just YW not exactly known for "reasonably priced boats". A few more of you need to read my previous post...
Pity none of the boats in that search are above 40ft.

Carry on dreaming.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 17:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
\and he is about to depart on a trip to the South Pacific... so you must be right!
\
No Jim this was a guy who started in the seventies and was a lifelong cat sailor. That Flyin Hawaiian guy.. well it looks to me like he built a coastal houseboat. i wouldnt be on it outside the ics but to each their own. i do love watching all the credit card sailors who know jack about engineering piping in though. His cat is >basically< a frp boat with exterior ply as the core. Note exterior ply is infinitely stronger (and heavier) than the light but useless foam/balsa core his critics sail in. if he got the cross beams right and the rigging support right thats likely to be as safe as any production cat in the deep ocean.. which is to say... not safe..

The guy im talking about and his gf (from memory) built a 24ish mono from donated/salvaged material.. some softwood some hardwood etc. Take note: from an engineering standpoint the Only problem with using cheap softwood is rot resistance. They lived aboard(!!!!!!!) for 2 years i think then sold it cheap w full disclosure. The then built a 30ish junk rigged cat out of mostly softwood/exterior ply w some marine over the next year. Heres the kicker.. the damn thing was beautiful. Seriously. They sailed that for years then sold it and built a bigger one and last i remember reading were still living on that one.

The reason i'll always remember that... ive owned 2 businesses i built from scratch with $0 in the bank. Everyone said it couldnt be done and i was an irresponsible fool. later on those people were the ones saying life handed me the world and i was lucky because i only had to work when i felt like it (!!!!!! i put 100 hours a week in for years eating ramen w no guarantees).

Sorry but this is a touchy issue w me:
These same people are the ones who say you need a naval architect designed factory produced boat with crap workmanship and lowest bidder materials fitted out with "nautical' equipment that costs 5 to 10x what the Exact same equipment costs w/o nautical in front of it. A note.. these people were criticising 'Hot Rod' for using drywall/deck screws. Those are near perfect for this application. These arent a bad choice (i'd fork out the money for silicon bronze). Because of what he's building they may be better than stainless (which rusts/bleeds).

These same people were the ones laughing at plastic boats, at foam core, at balsa core, at sheathed wooden boats. They're low iq followers sans knowledge or ability and they are the ones who think only millionaires shouls sail.

So because joe factory worker or tom the stock broker cant do it.. (or much of anything) they attack people who try .. do anything to bring them down.. then when those people succeed.. they revere them and claim always to have done so. it's an odious cycle the sailing community is especially noted for.

So when i see a 20yo scrounging an old mast or a 50 yo with a worn out 40' sloop in his back yard or a family constructing a 50' ferro hull?? i have nothing but respect and admiration.. because they refuse to listen to the bleating of the sheep living in the marina on their identical low bid cloneboats in the marina.. never daring sail them.
Old 13-08-2013, 09:02   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
i honestly think thats what 99% of the ferroboats that actually get finished do.. thoough ive read of a few people who bluewater them all over the place. Thought about it myself 15 years ago.. til i realised you can get a slightly smaller guttable hull for the price of the components.. that they took a century of labor to build and.. oh ya.. that even the best ones were absolutely hideous..
Be careful...we've had a few thread wars over that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Say, that scheme sounds a lot like Hot Rod and the Flyin' Hawaiian, and he is about to depart on a trip to the South Pacific... so you must be right!

Cheers,

Jim
Oh crap Jim...don't invite that thread over here!

creid:---Just as a suggestion...If it's just you and one other person, you can easily get by with less than a 40 ft. vessel. The cost goes down and the quality goes up. My vintage of HR's generally go for the price you're looking at and are of the best materials and craftsmanship.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 05:07   #29

Celestial thanks. im looking in the 30-35 foot range. Thanks to >this< forum ive found some excellent boats and designs. And im continually shocked at the difference in expense. Seems like every 10' doubles the costs.

As for FC i studied it extensively. if i were building a boat < 35 feet myself it would be sheathed hardwood. if above 40 it would be ferro.. above 40' it has massive advantages >if built correctly<.

Savoir are you Trying to be obnoxlious. The search was precisely for 40' boats. Name a size? 50? 60?? Plenty of very nice boats at that pricepoint.
Old 14-08-2013, 05:50   #30

Boat: Westerly Conway 36

You can also try looking on Boatshed (mostly European), but the best place seems to be Boats for sale, used boats, new boat sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck
A quick search found these:
52' steel yacht 1990 52' USD $30,403.92 Available UK
1986 Morgan 41 Out Island 1986 41' USD $35,000 Ex. Tax Available USA
1974 Coronado 45 Sloop 1974 45' USD $35,000 Ex. Tax Available USA
1974 Cuttyhunk 41 1974 41' USD $37,928.89 Inc. Tax Available Antigua And Barbuda
1947 Concordia Hurricane 40 1947 40' USD $38,900 Ex. Tax Available USA
1985 BRUCE ROBERTS 44 OFFSHORE 1985 42' USD $39,011.70 Inc. Tax Available France
1989 STEEL YACHTS 1989 44' USD $42,912.87 Inc. Tax Available Turkey
40' steel Van de Stadt Mermaid 1976 40' USD $45,000 Tax Paid Available Grenada

Didn't check for bowthruster or in mast reefing. I would agree that you shouldn't need a bowthruster once you get used to how *your* boat handles.

Also, keep an eye on Ebay - things often get sold there when the owner runs out of patience and just wants it gone.
maersi is offline   Reply With Quote