Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 11:10   #1

Boat: 1970 Mariner 32
Send a message via Yahoo to Marq
What's a Good Blue Water Boat on a Budget ?

Hey there everyone. Soooo I need to ask the wise out there what is a good Blue water sail boat in the 30 to 34 region. Now here is the trick I am only looking at spending 10K. Currently I have a offer in on a Cal 34 so what is your opinion on this boat and recomendations for any others?

Thank you
Marq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 11:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: whats a good blue water boat on a buget?.

Those parameters are pretty limiting, but you might find an Alberg 30 that needs some work.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:50   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

You are going to be hard-pressed to find anything seaworthy for $10k.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 12:01   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq View Post
Hey there everyone. Soooo I need to ask the wise out there what is a good Blue water sail boat in the 30 to 34 region. Now here is the trick I am only looking at spending 10K. Currently I have a offer in on a Cal 34 so what is your opinion on this boat and recomendations for any others?

Thank you
-Usually these requests require you to do alot of searching yourself using the net..However here is a thought for you to consider if you really want the best "bang-for-your-buck" and have good credit score you wont need later.Go to where boat mortgages are common with liveaboards such as cali or florida and look for a nice new boat which is for sale and the loan is underwater{market value is less than outstanding loan/mortgage value}.tThe true seller{bank} will approve you and you can then provision the boat with your plasti c{ credit cards} and sale away for a party using your great credit which will be great no longer..But if your a serious wanna be world cruiser you will be so far away from the USA based repo man the bank wont spend 1000 looking else where for your boat cause possession is 9/10ths of the law isnt it so why get possessed by your possessions trying to turn a 10k boat into a "blue water ruiser".If your not afraid of alot of dirty work and cash infusions a 65ft fixer -upper can be had from Welcome to Official .ST Domain Registry.. peterburg yacht sales.com ,florida . Believe it was a bank repo in pieces a few months ago so somebody has allready started a job you can finish . Cheers andhappy boat hunting.
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 12:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There is blue water and there is green water. Most boats are capable of blue water cruising as it will be with favorable winds in the right season so you won't face any huge storms. Green water is cruising the North Atlantic and Pacific other than in the summer, the Capes lower southern latitudes at almost anytime of year.

The Cal 34 is a stoutly built verteran boat with pretty good sailing qualities. There are a lot of things that can be done to make it survive extreme weather but it will do pretty well in it's original form as long as everything is kept in good condition and renewed as necessary.

The most important addition I'd want to make are storm shutters for those large cabin windows. Cut plywood pieces to cover the windows, drill holes to through bolt them or some secure method to fasten them should the need arise. You can fill the holes with LifeCaulk or other non sillycone marine sealant to seal them until you actually have to use the shutters which probably will be never.

Generally go through the boat and figure what could be torn off by solid water over the boat. Things like hatches etc that cold be ripped away leaving large pukas, need to be able to be securely fastened. Assume you'll have proper reefing/furling capabilities. You can add a track to the mast to rig a Storm TriSail in place of the main. Be sure you have a way to raise a storm jib in significant winds, like more than 40k should you get caught with your pants down.

Anyway, the Cal 34 is a good cheap boat that will get you almost anywhere in the world safely with a few precautions. For most of what people consider cruising, it is fine as originally designed and built. I wouldn't expect to get away on the original just the orginal cost of the boat. Nice to have things like stout ground tackle, dinghies, rafts, larger winches, minimal electronics, HF radio, etc. all seem to add up in a hurry. A lot of this stuff can be added as you feel the need but proper ground tackle and a dinghy are two things you shouldn't leave home without.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 12:58   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

marq, I think you've got two questions mixed up.

Asking "What is a good blue water boat in the low end of the price range?" is one of them.

The other is "What's my best bet in a $10k boat that might be blue water capable one day?"

You see the difference?

While boats half that size have gone around the world, there are also major ocean races like the Bermuda races where the rules simply prohibit boats under something like 36' OAL because they are considered inherently unsafe, compared to larger boats and typical ocean weather. These rules are developed out of experience after boats and lives are lost, i.e. the Fastnet Race disaster, where boat size was considered to be a major factor versus losss of boat and life. (See Fastnet, Force 10 if you haven't read it yet.)

So, can $10k or even $15k buy you a bluewater capable boat? Well, sure, if you are skilled enough to avoid all the bad weather, keep the boat upright, and deal with mechanical problems and older gear. And baggy old sails that can't be trimmed for speed and may tear on the way. If you can simply read the weather and stay in balmy conditions, a Sunfish can make it. If you can stow enough water on board. That's the other catch, if you plan to cross big empty places, you need enough payload capacity to keep perhaps three weeks worth of food and water for at least two people on board. You rapidly get into "How many thousand pounds can this boat carry?" for fuel as well as water tankage, and smaller boats often can't carry enough for a crew of four. Two, maybe.

Which is probably why you never see the same twelve clowns taking a clown car down the highway to dinner. They don't pack 'em that tight unless they're on stage. Why is that? (VBG)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:28   #7

Boat: 1970 Mariner 32
Send a message via Yahoo to Marq

Yes this is a two stage question there.

Asking "What is a good blue water boat in the low end of the price range?" is one of them.

The other is "What's my best bet in a $10k boat that might be blue water capable one day?"

I know I am about as clear as mud somedays . Anyway I appreciate the responses as is. Again any info on the different 30 and up range in the low end bracket would be apprieciated.

Side Note here getting myself in debt ever again is not an option I would rather buy outright and go from there. Thanks all
Marq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:33   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you can find all kinds of sea worthy boats for 10k..i found my formosa 41 for 10k..LOL is bigoted thing to say that in htis market -- which, btw, suxx bad, and is totally a BUYERS market, that ye cannot find a decent boat for 10k. keep looking and ye will find one if you havent already done so....
CAL IS A STURDY LIL GO ANYWHERE BOAT ' you will have fun with it and yes, can go to sea. smooth sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:57   #9

Yachtworld.com is a place to start looking.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 19:05   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

With that amount of money I wonder if he should just cruise the backwaters Jack. I saw an Allied about that size that had been towed in by the city. They would have given it away to someone that would pay the back taxes on it.
Remember that you are going to put a fair amount of $$ into it to make it seaworthy.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 20:06   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Even if I found a small yacht for under ten-thousand dollars, I start my calculations at what it will cost to make the yacht ready for world voyaging. I inspect the yacht looking at every item to see what needs to be replaced or upgraded, and when I am done, I go to the catalogues and figure out the real cost of the yacht which may be several times more than what you pay for it.

Once I figure the real cost of the small yacht, that becomes the baseline value against which I compare all other possible yachts. If a poorly equipped ten-thousand dollar yacht really costs $30,000 to get ready to cruise, you can afford to look at well equipped $30,000 yachts in excellent condition with lots of gear and nearly ready to set sail.

Sale price doesn't mean anything to me. It's the real cost of the yacht that I focus on.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 20:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post

Sale price doesn't mean anything to me. It's the real cost of the yacht that I focus on.
Remember "boat" is an acronym = Bring Out Another Thousand
Old 29-06-2011, 06:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

What Is The Best 25 to 35-foot Cruising Boat For Under $15,000? | Daily Sailing News from North American Sailor
Old 29-06-2011, 07:33   #14

Yachtworld may not be the best place to look for a boat in this price range. Brokers don't like to take low end boats. They don't make much on them. You would probably do better with Boattrader, craigslist, or cruising boatyards and docks.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 08:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vfootloose View Post
Yachtworld may not be the best place to look for a boat in this price range. Brokers don't like to take low end boats. They don't make much on them. You would probably do better with Boattrader, craigslist, or cruising boatyards and docks.
There are some listed on yachtworld, but you are correct in suggesting other sources as well.

Tags
water, budget