Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2011, 17:45   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: What's a Good Blue Water Boat on a Budget ?

ron rico----did that----
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 19:12   #47

Give "Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere" a good read.

Amazon.com: Twenty Affordable Sailboats To Take You Anywhere (9780939837724): Gregg Nestor, John Vigor: Books
dthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03   #48

Boat: Valiant 40

Another great place to search is here: Sailboats for sale from Sailing Texas, Sailboat Classifieds, sailboat for sale by owner

Don't let "Texas" in the name fool you - there are boats listed here from all over the Western Hemisphere! And they tend to be at the lower end of the price scale. Sure, you'll find Sunfish & Hobie 16's on here but you'll also find lots of great deals on smaller cruising boats.

We are looking at a boat now that "needs work". We like project boats because by the time you are finished, you do know the boat inside out. However, there is such a thing as too much project. Be aware of your limitations. If you haven't already, pick up and read a copy of Don Casey's book Good Old Boat. There are some amazing deals out there, 'cause I've seen 'em...like he boat we're looking at now. It is part of an estate & they just want it gone. Asking price is stoooopid cheap (like $100k below market!) because the boat has sat for 5 years. I was shocked after my first inspection - not one shred of wood rot & the interior was dry as a bone. I'm amazed she hasn't sunk - every damn thru hull was open!

Happy hunting!
LazyLadySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 19:18   #49

Boat: 1970 Mariner 32
Send a message via Yahoo to Marq

It has been a while since I looked at this thread I started. In the end I succeeded in getting my boat for under 10K ready to sail condition. The economic crash helped but more than anything I found being stubborn and looking at everything was the key! I am now the proud owner of a 1970 Mariner 32 Auxiliary ketch. Thank you one and all for the advice and I say to anyone who made read this to follow your dream you must have the balls to do so and a willingness to dig and hunt as long as it takes.
Marq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 19:30   #50
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq View Post
It has been a while since I looked at this thread I started. In the end I succeeded in getting my boat for under 10K ready to sail condition. The economic crash helped but more than anything I found being stubborn and looking at everything was the key! I am now the proud owner of a 1970 Mariner 32 Auxiliary ketch. Thank you one and all for the advice and I say to anyone who made read this to follow your dream you must have the balls to do so and a willingness to dig and hunt as long as it takes.

Good for you -- YAHOO!!!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 21:32   #51

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: whats a good blue water boat on a buget?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
These rules are developed out of experience after boats and lives are lost, i.e. the Fastnet Race disaster, where boat size was considered to be a major factor versus losss of boat and life. (See Fastnet, Force 10 if you haven't read it yet.)
Quite interesting and so false half thruth.. Might be good you to to read something like "Seaworthines the forgotten factor" By Tony Marchaj.
BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 08:36   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq View Post
Cheers for the update

"but more than anything I found being stubborn and looking at everything was the key!" - like much else in life, no real substitute for getting off own ar#e
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 09:05   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: whats a good blue water boat on a buget?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Those parameters are pretty limiting, but you might find an Alberg 30 that needs some work.
"some work" is relative. For 10k you are buying a 50k project

Tags
water, budget