Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 14:19   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Westmarine is insane

I've talked to some WM managers about the differences in the stores. What I've been told is that they are VERY tightly managed by corporate. They have little or no input on their stock. I notice that their is a fairly large difference in what is carried store to store. For example Petit Rust-Loc paint. One store will always have a few cans, another will have never heard of it.

The managers I talked to grumbled about corporate oversight and their micromanagement of stock. I presume that extends to sales items as well.

I know when one store was closing in my area I could have bought their entire selection of ss hardware for something like $1,500. That would have been a hell of a bargin. But they still were charging normal prices for everything. At another store I bought ss hardware and they would routinely discount the price, sometimes deeply, without being asked. Never had another store do that. But that was a few years ago.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 14:24   #32

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

Well, they're not called "Tiffanies" for nothing. Still they fill a valuable need to the boating public. Like everything else, you just have to be smart about knowing what's a good value and what's not, taking shipping, tax, and your time into consideration.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 14:34   #33

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Yesterday, needing to replace my stolen hand bilge pump, checked West Marine's website and found that my nearby dealer had one in stock on sale for about half the regular price. In ten minutes, I possessed a new pump.
Old 17-03-2017, 14:53   #34
F10

Boat: S&S 34

These "I hate West Marine" threads always show up on boating sites. Many peeps say West Marines prices are too high, and they go to the store to "look" at products they plan later to but on-line at a cheaper price. West Marine is not a library, if you don't ever plan to buy from them, don't waste their time and take up a parking space they paid for, or use their bathroom that they paid for. You showing up just to "look" is one reason their prices are high. I do buy from West Marine and is about the only place in Hawaii where you can buy marine gear. So if you are meandering around the North Pacific and something breaks and you need it now, go ahead and buy on-line. Wonder how much those on-line retailers would charge to air freight my 35 lb ancor and 100 feet of chain? No one is forcing you to go to their store, or read the very informational catalog...
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 16:49   #35

Boat: Nordhavn 47

While it doesn't make it even with some of the online places you do have to remember they give you a 4+% rebate if you are a Boat Us member or Gold member. That usually makes the larger stuff more comparable.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 16:52   #36

Boat: PT-11

You can thank the FTC for letting them buy up BoatUS and putting every mom n pop chandlery out of business.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 17:14   #37

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
While it doesn't make it even with some of the online places you do have to remember they give you a 4+% rebate if you are a Boat Us member or Gold member. That usually makes the larger stuff more comparable.

Jim
Yeah, and this weekend is triple points, so 12%.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 17:35   #38
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Prices are high, and I to shop other places, but...
  • Once I needed batteries while I was out. They brought them to the dock.
  • When on the hard, they have a store on the premises. Hard to beat when you run out of 105 hardener mid-project and need more right now.
  • PCA Gold is a very good paint for a wonderful price when on sale (it is now). In the latest PS test it is the top rated ablative (2-way tie) at 20 months. I have also used many other and PCA twice, so I agree with this. I'm not due for 6-8 months, but I buy ahead.
  • No freight on heavy stuff.
  • Easy to return stuff.
So overall, I have reasons to go there, now and then. It's also not cheap keeping a bricks and mortar store open. It gets pretty quiet around here in the winter, so I'm betting they lose a stack of money from November to April.

Just sayin', it's a business and they serve a purpose. There are a LOT of stores selling stuff for stupid prices. Go to the mall and price some designer jeans, and then try to figure out how work pants became and stayed a such a fad. That's a not crazier, particularly when they come pre-ripped.
Old 17-03-2017, 18:03   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I'll go to WM if I need something small, like screws/bolts.
Daniel, McMaster-Carr is my go-to for all fasteners. mcmaster.com is a treasure trove of deals on MANY other items. Orders ship same day or next, usually out of the Atlanta warehouse, and are in hand in no more than two days here on the Gulf Coast.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 18:04   #40

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

All this being said.

I just received a West Marine flyer in the mail today for a great price on my bottom paint.

I have to get off this computer and get down there quick.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 18:23   #41

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That is beginning to be very prevalent for internet sales by a lot of vendors, Amazon for example
Yeah, once they have a physical presence in the state, as Amazon does with two new large facilities in Florida (1 in Ruskin south of Tampa and the other in Lakeland) they seem to HAVE to charge the guvner's share..
Old 17-03-2017, 18:34   #42

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
You can thank the FTC for letting them buy up BoatUS and putting every mom n pop chandlery out of business.

In addition to BOATUS, they put out of business:
M&E Marine
Goldbergs
E&B Marine

Plus, there are likely many more. The ones above are stores that I personally used before they were gobbled up.

Now we have fewer choices, and higher prices. Progress, right?
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 18:45   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeapt View Post
Just went to west marine for the first time today for my new boat and just started to look around at everyhting i might need. And jesus it is all way more expensive than i thought. a $150 PFD is like $100 on amazon. I guess it is pretty convenient cause they have everything you need, but damn.
We have a nick name for WM - its "Bend Me Over West Marine". We don't even say we're going to West Marine anymore... we just say "we're going to bend me over".
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 19:14   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post

In addition to BOATUS, they put out of business:
M&E Marine
Goldbergs
E&B Marine

Plus, there are likely many more. The ones above are stores that I personally used before they were gobbled up.

Now we have fewer choices, and higher prices. Progress, right?

Sound familiar?!?!?!

Wally World (Wal-Mart) has been doing the same thing...for like ever.

They come in, run the small Mom & Pops out of business, then have their way with the town folks.

Most recent and glaring example was in Oriental NC.
But there, they even went one better. After forcing the one full line grocery out of business, Wally World decided they could not make the profit margins they were expecting and left town. Leaving Oriental residents to drive many miles for groceries.

People bitch about high prices and then bitch when the local brick and mortal's shut down and they have to wait for parts to arrive via snail mail.

We've done it to ourselves!
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 03:03   #45
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. I think one of the most egregious gouging examples at WM is on Rotella. It's around twice the price of Walmart
Easy, go to Walmart then.
West Marine provide health insurance to their employees and better than minimum wage.
Not sure Walmart can match that.

I got a Port Supply account. If anybody in Fort Lauderdale needs a good discount at West Marine, send me a PM.
(Not for nuts and bolts, but expensive stuff, 20%-40% off. I have to go with you, so make a list, I am not going every day but live only 5-6 minutes away from their mega store on Andrews/SR 84.)

Tags
marine