Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2014, 10:57   #1

Boat: IP 40
Used vs new Dinghy (remotely)

Howdy folks,

It's looking like my wife and I will be closing on a used 40' boat in the next month, pending final negotiations. Anyway to make a long story short the boat is in Maryland and we live in Texas. If we close on it we'll be flying up there to bring it back in mid-Oct. Along with a few general preventative maintenance tasks, the one major glaring piece we need to address is the fact that the boat is being sold without a dinghy. We'd like to stick with a good name brand RIB no offense to others but we're thinking Achilles, AB, or Caribe. We're thinking 10' after considering our must haves and nice to haves.

Since our checkbook is already smoking from the purchase process we'd like to find a good used one to save some $ but the prices for used RIBs from dealers in the area are steeper than I'd anticipated. For example a 6 year old Achiles DX (with several patches) for $2200. If we had the luxury of shopping at home I'd take the Craigslist route and just shop around for a while, but operating remotely (makes more sense to buy in MD) and needing something before we actually leave is making that tough.

So, I figured I'd bounce this off the cruising collective and see if anyone in the area had recommendations for where one could find good quality used dinghies at reasonable prices in the area. Also trying to decide if it makes more sense to go new, but the prices sting a bit.

Either way, it's looking like we'll be waiting to pick up the motor until we swing through the Bahamas on the way home...but in the mean time we'll need some form of dinghy before we set out.

Suggestions?

-EB
ErBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 11:58   #2

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Used vs new Dinghy (remotely)

Be sure to allow enough time to shake down and repair essential systems. While you're busy doing that perhaps you can find time to shop for a used dink, locally.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 12:25   #3
Marine Service Provider

Congrats on the purchase!

Does the boat have davits? If not then you may find it necessary to lash the dink on deck. Usually forward of the mast, a 10 footer will likely fit ok with easy space for the anchor locker, any longer may be a disadvantage. Finding a rib that has been stored out of the weather will be well worth the extra $. Any used rib will need some re-inflating each day, its hard to judge a rib's air tightness without rubbing it down with soapy water. I would pay attention to the tide charts because rowing or paddling a rib against a current or breeze will likely be fun about one time. Finding an outboard in the Islands will likely cost more.
CptLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 12:31   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptLawrence View Post
Finding an outboard in the Islands will likely cost more.

No, cheaper in Nassau and you can get a 2 stroke too!
Old 15-09-2014, 15:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
No, cheaper in Nassau and you can get a 2 stroke too!
That was the reason for waiting, 2-stroke vs 4. The boat has davits and will be there a few days in advance to shake down. Would prefer to not have to deal with finding a dink on top of everything else, but that might be a requirement. Wish I could bring myself to drop the 5k on the aluminum AB...but I just don't think we, ready to commit that much plus a new engine at the moment
Old 15-09-2014, 15:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What boat did you end up with?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 15:50   #7

Used is OK in the brands you suggest. DO NOT buy from an inflatable dealer....those guys are insane price wise. Good used RIB's pop up all the time up here on Craig's list. or marina notice boards. I would imagine down there also. Not unusual to see a 12 ft Hypalon RIB with trailer for less than $1600. The trailers usually worth maybe $400 it's all about timing...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 16:30   #8

Boat: Leopard 43

We are in the same boat (couldn't resist). We purchased a catamaran in the BVI without a dingy and are moving it to Seattle. We're sailing the boat to Panama and having it shipped from there but we still have to sail fom BVI to Panama without a dingy.

We decided to buy an inflatable kayak to take with on the plane to the BVI for the delivery trip and were able to find a used West Marine (Avon) dingy with a 15hp Mercury 2-stroke for $1200 locally by watching craigslist. So we'll use the kayak on the delivery trip as well as in the future and have a nice dingy here in Seattle to use once the catamaran is delivered.

As someone mentioned, it's all about timing and availability. If you can buy the dingy locally at your own pace you'll probably find a much better deal than if you have to buy what's on the market when you are picking up your boat.

Now that you've made me think, I better start watching craigslist for the kayak!

Good luck
Old 15-09-2014, 16:44   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Used is a crapshoot. Used remotely is a bigger crapshoot.

Many folks I know that bought a used inflatable replaced it well before they expected to.

I would get the cheapest hard dinghy I could if I was in a hurry. I would go quality on the motor in anticipation of keeping it and replacing the hard dink when the boat bucks were available for a new one or when the perfect used one comes along.

I would not get a used inflatable older than about 3 years.

YMMV...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 17:05   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Many folks I know that bought a used inflatable replaced it well before they expected to.

I would get the cheapest hard dinghy I could if I was in a hurry. I would go quality on the motor in anticipation of keeping it and replacing the hard dink when the boat bucks were available for a new one or when the perfect used one comes along.

YMMV...
Good advice re a hard dink to make do. Then get an AB lite. The aluminum job is great but much too much money! Get a 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke in the Bahamas.
Old 15-09-2014, 17:16   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c

Buy a new Defender RIB. Probably the best bang for the buck. Used inflatable boats often have problems, every one of the 3 I've bought did anyway.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 17:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What boat did you end up with?
Howdy a64 - We ended up really falling in love with the IP40. Pretty much exactly the same layout as the 38 but slightly newer, with a bit more room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Used is OK in the brands you suggest. DO NOT buy from an inflatable dealer....those guys are insane price wise. ...
Yeah you nailed it on this one, the prices I mentioned where for a dealer (used boat) and just seemed out of whack to me, which was the reason for my OP. Thanks for the sanity check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

YMMV...
Ex-Calif, always appreciate your feedback. This sums up what I've been leaning towards but hate the idea of buying two dinks. Still seems like a good option. Is there a decent hard dink that will comfortably carry 4 people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Good advice re a hard dink to make do. Then get an AB lite. The aluminum job is great but much too much money! Get a 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke in the Bahamas.
So this was the other thing I was wanting to bounce off "y'all". The feedback I got (from a dealer...so grain of salt) was to either go 10 horse or jump to 20 horse, because the 15s where too heavy for the power increase over a 10. Granted this was a 4-stroke conversation and I think we're convinced that a 2-stroke makes sense, since we'll be passing 'right by' the Bahamas on our way home...

Sorry spent all my time researching the big purchase and am not really up to speed on my outboards...yet
Old 15-09-2014, 18:40   #13
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

If used inflatables have problems why buy new? I mean as soon as you take it of the showroom floor it's used right? There are plenty of used inflatables that DONT need to be aired up everyday. I don't think you could lose by finding a used inflatable of a well known quality brand. Probably save at least 50% of the new price and have a quality dinghy that could last a long time. Now used outboards..........
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 21:44   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post

Ex-Calif, always appreciate your feedback. This sums up what I've been leaning towards but hate the idea of buying two dinks. Still seems like a good option. Is there a decent hard dink that will comfortably carry 4 people?
I guess the idea is to buy used, then sell it off in Fl - even if you sell it for less, consider it a rental fee. Throw it up on Craiglist.

As far as "comfortably carry 4" - Do you define comfortable as wet and tippy?

Again my idea is simply an interim. Don't overthink it or oversearch. Just about everyone hates small hard dinks. But when you learn to use one without falling in the water or sinking it you won't look foolish someday when someone gives you a ride in theirs -

Unless you are ready to do the research and pull the trigger for what you really want.

Big inflatables cover up tons of embarking and disembarking sins...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 22:06   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

After giving this a little thought, I'm liking the idea of picking up a hard dinghy. Inexpensive. Rowable. It'll get the job done, and as suggested above, give you a breather at a time when you'll be having a LOT on your plate. Could still get the 2 stroke offshore, probably be way too much engine for a small hard dinghy, but oars work just fine. Just remember to always step down to the center of it. They are tippier than inflatables, but one learns to cope......says she who has a big RIB. We've friends with a hard dinghy that we used to have to go around in, and I'll stand by learning to cope.

Ann

Tags
dinghy, remote