Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 14:27   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 86
US Brokerage Sales Slip in January 2011

Found this on "Soundings Trade Only Today" posted on February 8, 2011. This is the first detailed market data I've seen in a while.

Brokerage sales slip in January
The number of brokerage boats sold in the United States and the total valuation of those sales declined in January, compared with the same month in 2010. That's what U.S. brokers reported to, the proprietary database shared by member brokerages of

The unit sales total of 1,564 boats represented a 2 percent decrease from the previous January, when 1,604 boats sold; total sales valuation sales slipped 4 percent, to $178 million.

The strongest part of the market was not among bigger boats, as in recent months, but in the middle range - 36 to 45 feet. The number of boats sold in that range increased by 1 percent, with 346 boats changing hands. The total valuation of those sales increased nearly $2 million, to $45.5 million.

Bigger boats held their value well, even when the total number sold was less. For the 93 boats sold between 46 and 55 feet (the same number as last year), total valuation climbed 4 percent, to $28 million. In the over-55-foot category, unit sales were down 17 percent, with 55 boats sold, but the boats sold for more money on average. Total valuation was down 12 percent, to $61 million.

Powerboat sales held up better than sailboat sales in January, rising 1 percent, compared with the previous January, with 1,258 boats sold. Sailboat sales were down 15 percent, to 306 boats. Total valuation was down 2 percent, to $155 million, for powerboats; for sailboats it dropped 17 percent, to $23 million.

A more detailed report summarizing recent U.S. brokerage sales will appear in the March issue of Soundings Trade Only.

John Burnham

Dominion Marine Media editorial director
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: Crew Available January 2011 sassafrassailor Crew Archives 2 31-12-2010 11:27
Crew Available: Caribbean - January / February 2011 Peter Pressland Crew Archives 0 29-12-2010 01:29
Crew Wanted: BVI Trip - January 15-23, 2011 allanpeda Crew Archives 0 27-12-2010 16:47
Crew Available: January 1 - January 25, 2011: Paid Crew Available havnjero Crew Archives 1 22-12-2010 05:39
Crew Available: Carribbean, Panama Canal - january 2011 OceanEngines Crew Archives 0 29-11-2010 20:07

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:46.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.