Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2012, 14:54   #1

Thinking of Buying a 1981 Contessa 26

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on the forums. I am new to sailing, I have my first lessons on a dinghy planned for the weekend two weeks from now, and I am planning on taking lessons a keel boat shortly afterwards. I am also looking at buying a cruiser for travelling (eventually) from San Francisco, where I currently reside, to Ithaca, New York via the Panama canal and the Erie canal way, I'm not sure if the entire journey is possible, but that is another question I need to answer... I may just end up in Boston. Anyways, I have been looking at the Contessa 26 because it has proven itself capable of offshore passage making, it's small, and within my budget, of about 40,000.

The listing is here: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=14024&url=

I have spoken with the broker and I am setting up a time to take a look at the boat sometime in the near future. I have a few questions, the first being...

1. Assuming that the condition is very good, as is claimed by the broker I spoke with, does this seem like a good deal to some of you who have owned your own boats before? Looking at the boat and list of upgrades/care that has been taken, this looks like a fine deal to me, but I am very inexperienced when it comes to buying a boat.

2. If I were to buy this boat, I have been told that the standing rigging would probably need to be replaced... How much can I expect to spend on this?

3. My budget looks like this (I don't need to move the boat or launch because I am planning on sailing it to it's resting spot in the bay)

I also realize that slip space is probably cheaper than 300 dollars a month, but overestimating adds some padding for other costs:

Monthly Payments X 12 = 20,000
Registration Fees = 1,250
Insurance = 191
Charts and Books = 500
Slip Space X 12 = 4,000
Maintenance/Repairs = 4,000
Fuel = 1,000
Total = 30,940

Standing Rigging = 4,000 (not needed immediately)

I am wondering if I am estimating too much/too little for maintenance/repairs. If the boat is in as good a condition as is claimed, I think I am overestimating, as all I can think of that I will need to do for maintenance will be to clean the underside and empty the holding tanks (if needed). Am I missing other maintenance costs?

5. Any thoughts on going from San Francisco to Cayuga Lake? I think the lochs still run in the Erie canal way, but perhaps there are regulations to keep salt water vessels out of the lakes? Or some procedures that I must go through to do this?

Thank you all for taking a look at this!
- Hollin
chromaticbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying