Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 10:41   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Retire now & go cruising or THIS is what happens!

The other side of that is that cruising is such a slow paced lifestyle. Then there's the minimal mental aspect as compared to working a demanding job.

Also, the lack of aerobic exercise, mixed with station exercises, the small living space, and so on.

I used to watch the cruisers in Little Sabine Bay, Pensacola Beach before our Beach Cat Sailboat Races. It's 11 am and many were still sitting in the cockpit hanging out. Other cruisers at Pirate's Cove (Alabama) were hammered by 2pm which was even sooner than your average beachcat sailor.

I'm wondering it isn't best to retire maybe at age 70 then cruise.......depending on your health etc. Everyone is different.

I have an in-law that after being retired 10 years was ready to return to work. I believe he kept his boat at West Cay Bahamas most of the time (Fall and Winter)

It's a tough decision.

I'm 60. Mid week I ran 2.5 miles, did some pull ups and pushups, then went back to work. (it's my weekly exercise routine) After work, I stopped by the boat and charged the batteries. Which means I plugged the alligator clip on the positive post of one of my batteries from the solar controller and had a few beers.

Friday went over to the house 70 miles north and worked on the yard and the ac unit. Back this afternoon to sail but the wind is light so I'll do something else at the apartment or around town plus visit the boat later.

All this no further than 1-10 miles from the Chesapeake Bay or Atlantic Ocean.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:44   #17

Come, my friends, ‘Tis not too late to seek a newer world. Push off, and sitting well in order smite The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths Of all the western stars, until I die. It may be that the gulfs will wash us down: It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles, And see the great Achilles, whom we knew. Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’ We are not now that strength which in old days Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Photosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:05   #18

This is or should be every sailors motto. It is what I am looking forward to starting very soon. Part time live aboard most likely. Part time in the rockies skiing in the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark-Twain-700.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	129108  
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:46   #19

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photosean View Post
Come, my friends, ‘Tis not too late to seek a newer world. Push off, and sitting well in order smite The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths Of all the western stars, until I die. It may be that the gulfs will wash us down: It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles, And see the great Achilles, whom we knew. Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’ We are not now that strength which in old days Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
An elegant and relevant quote from Tennyson's Ulysses, thanks Sean
Old 07-08-2016, 12:43   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The other side of that is that cruising is such a slow paced lifestyle. Then there's the minimal mental aspect as compared to working a demanding job.
Slow paced? Obviously not written by someone with much blue-water, or Caribbean if you wish) sailing. Sure, there's more than enough time to relax and smell the fish, but lack of exercise? Unless you travel in style with a crew...

IMHO, sitting dockside is not 'sailing" any more than a 40' camper is 'camping'.

Nor is drinking a sixpack before noon on a boat much different than doing the same on land. There are some with the predisposition, or choice if you will, to do so on land (or dock). Nothing to with sailing being a boring pasttime. There are few who won't admit there is always more than enough sanding, varnishing, painting, repairing to occupy one's time afloat.

Bottom line: sitting on a boat rather than a park bench is a choice of venue. Sailing, however, is an exciting, rewarding, occasionally demanding, choice of rewarding lifetime experience.
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 13:48   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
I have the greatest admiration for people that set off and cruise in their 60s or older. If you have the health and strength to do it - good on you! But I think reality for most is that things start to hurt more beyond 50 something, and even minor injuries take longer to recover from. Whenever I meet cruisers on my travels, I make a point of asking them "is there anything you would have done differently?" Almost all say "I wish I had started to do this earlier"
You can hurt at home or you can hurt on your boat. 71 and I will take a boat every time.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 13:57   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Wow! I was not expecting so many poignant replies. Or the poetry.

Or the 'parking' gags... which must be an Aussie thing where we went parking with a bottle of Sparkling Porphery Pearl with the local town bike. Sure to ride that one.

Thanks for the stories - and the heart rendering ones especially.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 14:05   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

That really sums up the way we are being educated by the institutions - poeple are actually accepting this as being normal. Freaky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Bank I pass each day has this ad in the window for retirement investments.
I can't believe they think people want this.

Are you going to be a "Parker" or have a life?

(For Aussies: yep, he's rooted alright)
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 14:09   #24

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Wow! I was not expecting so many poignant replies. Or the poetry.

Or the 'parking' gags... which must be an Aussie thing where we went parking with a bottle of Sparkling Porphery Pearl with the local town bike. Sure to ride that one.

Thanks for the stories - and the heart rendering ones especially.
Nah...parking is universal, in the US its "Boones Farm Strawberry Wine" or whatever you can nick from the folks. : )
Old 07-08-2016, 14:11   #25

I guess i should never expect to read comments about boats that are looking for their owners who could not afford to keep them. If living on a boat was so affordable their would be very few used rotten worthless boats left behind. Now i agree, if you have the money, then go for it. That is where people make the decision to ride a bench and not a boat. The U.S. government does not have a section 8 boat program by the way. millions of seniors live in government assisted housing. Fees and taxes will keep many people away from booats. go figure....
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 14:12   #26

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Ha! Aussies park in a Holden ?gotta be tough. Some of my better memories of pre cruising times were of watching the submarine races off Clover Point. 'Lowered/louvered '50 Mercury. back seat. mickey of lemon gin . Fortunately ,built a gaff ketch and moved on. Just recently noticed I can't go back
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 14:14   #27

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Its not a bank .... Rooted In , seems to be aimed at getting people off their arses, looks like you can get rooted all over the US.

Back on track...thing that amazes me is retirement developments aimed at the 'over 50's '.
Old 07-08-2016, 14:15   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Both is good. Go sailing for a while, get a bit bored so find some work and fill up the kitty, get bored with that, go sailing for a while again.. Tis a great life
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 14:23   #29

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If you come across any cows paddling in the surf---RUN!!!

I occasionally see large bull sharks beside and under my boat--and there have been crocodiles too--never a cow though--but I will keep a watch for them now--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 14:33   #30

Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41

x 2 on great lifestyle.

Not so sure on the get bored part.

Let's see...

Just:

1. Mis-read an important weather report.
2. Let your fuel tank get moldy.
3. Hit a partly sunken container.
4. Forget to check the local reports of shoal changes.
5. Trip over a mis-placed rope while underway.
6. Mis-place the "ONLY" tool that will fix whatever the important broken component is.
7. What was that big bang I just heard?
8. Have you seen the Milky Way lately?
9. Have you seen the sunset over a huge storm cloud ( that is not coming your way, or less boring, IS coming your way)
10. What language are they speaking..... Darn can't get the google translator to work.....
11. Ok, you guys only stay down 30 minutes this time.
12. and on and on and on and ...........

Maybe it's just me, but what else on this planet is so full of adventure and so wonderful?

and next week we are going to leave the dock, "and the harbor" ........
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising