Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 03:50   #16

Boat: Fisher, 31, 9,65M + Hallberg 33 Mistral
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n
Well, we got our money from HSBC yesterday. So it was a total of 9 days between the time that I realized my account was "suspended" and I was able to get my money. Luckily, my local bank is not going to put any hold on the check, so the full amount is available to us immediately.

When I closed the account HSBC said it would be 7-10 days before I would receive the check. I assumed that they quoted that number, because they couldn't be sure how long it would take to get through the U.S. Postal Service. Nope. They sent the check via FedEx--next day service. So I guess they just held onto it for 8 days before sending us the check.

Other than a "form" e-mail telling me of the case number, I have heard nothing yet concerning my complaint to the Office of the Comptroller of Currency about this. When/if I do hear something I will let you all know.
I know how anoying and inconvinient it is not being able to perform cash withdrawal, it always happens when you need it the most. And i feel with you!!! On the other hand, it is kind of reasuring reading that the bank is actually protecting your funds. I learned from a likewise situation, when my CC was among a series of numbers that was suspected compromised, that i should have been better prepared, in having at least 2 cards/accounts available. Look at the bright side, it did not cost you any $$$$.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:11   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Online Banking - HSBC !

Sounds like
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
...it is kind of reasuring reading that the bank is actually protecting your funds.
I'm afraid that you are missing the point. Yes, it's nice that they are protecting my funds. But they should have notified me when they suspended my account. Leaving it to me to discover on my own, when I went to try to make a transfer, is abysmally poor customer service! They have my phone number, my e-mail address, my home address... They should have contacted me to let me know that there was a problem, and then I could have cleared it up before I needed the cash.

For those with HSBC accounts, I suggest you check the "bank to bank transfer" link to make sure that your account is not suspended. And then I would suggest that, when you are going to need money, you request it at least 10 days ahead of time, and not rely on getting it within the usual 3 days.

As for USAA, I only wish that I qualified. I hear nothing but good about them.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:46   #19

Boat: Tartan 30

I have an HSBC account. I logged into my web account once while connected to a VPN server in the Netherlands. They immediately called me and inquired about my location and security information. After I gave them the rundown (forgetting to mention the VPN) they informed that there may be a breech of security and they may need to freeze the account until it was re-secured. Then they told me why! I remembered the VPN and informed them I'll be using it often. They had no problem with that and did not freeze my account.

I was impressed with that level of security. I mean, it was a straight log in, not 'failed' attempts. The could only assume someone had gotten my password, and they immediately took action. If I didn't answer the phone, they would have locked my account. Which IMO, is a good thing. If it were a security breech, then my money would still be safe, even if it takes 9 days to get it cleared up.

I like HSBC.
But I also have 2 other accounts and keep my money (what little there is!) separated, just in case.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
They immediately called me and inquired about my location and security information.
Sounds like they did the right thing in your case. I only wish that they would have bothered to call me.
Old 07-10-2011, 13:21   #21

I'll second the USAA recommentation. I have been with them since 1966 banking, insurance and orther services. Great company!
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:13   #22

Got a letter from HSBC this weekend about this issue. Apparently the only thing that the Office of the Comptroller of Currency did was to forward my complaint to HSBC's customer (dis!)service department. I am going to follow up with them, but I suspect that they consider the matter closed.

The letter from HSBC basically said "Gee, I guess maybe you're right, we probably should have told you that we were suspending your account. Sorry about that."

I consider that an inadequate response. It certainly does nothing to make me reconsider my decision to close my account and not to do business with them in the future.