Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 17:27   #1

NZ GST

Hi I am looking to import a boat (Built new in Australia) to NZ but am averse to GST. Does anyone have an idea how I may reduce or avoid paying this. I could go to Australia for six months prior and bring it back as a personal possession? or maybe sail it straight up to the islands?
Any clues would be appreciated
SeaKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 18:56   #2

Boat: Mason 53
Re: NZ GST

G'day, SeaKiwi, If you are a New Zealand citizen, the duty 7.5% and GST, now 15% are payable shortly (it is my understanding within weeks) once you clear the yacht through Customs upon entry IF YOU ARE THE MAJORITY OWNER. It is my understanding that the only way to avoid the GST & DUTY is to provide documentation that the yacht is owned 51% outside of New Zealand. If is also my understanding that if this route is taken, the yacht cannot carry a New Zealand flag. I stand to be corrected of my understandings.

If you have a non New Zealand passport and the owner of the yacht, like most offshore boats that clear customs into New Zealand prior to the start of the new year, you will be given a "temporary import" document to allow the vessel to remain in New Zealand to approximately the June timeframe (there is some discreation) of the following year.

Your individual immigration status is a totally separate issue. Most cruisers are given a 3 month visitor's visa, which in most cases, can be extended another 3 months with the appropriate paperwork. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 19:50   #3

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

Death and Taxes

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 19:51   #4

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

But you should be able to claim back the GST component of the purchase price in Aus, that might help.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 22:52   #5

Boat: Traditional 30

Are you talking about the Purchase GST in Aus. If its new there will be GST which should be refundable upon exit.If its a private purchase from an individual, chances are you wont be paying GST. Talk to some of the larger brokers. Brays, Vicsail etc.

Now I have just re-read your post. Silly me. Ok NZ Gst.. talk to your accountant and find out what happens if you leave it Aus registered. you never know

Cheers and good luck..

Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 23:19   #6

Boat: Stevens 47

I just went through this a bit over a year ago......here's how it works.....

If you are a foreign national and are moving to NZ permanently you can bring the boat in with no gst.
If you are a NZ citizen then you have 18 days from the day of your arrival to pay 15% GST and 7.5% duty. One point to note here....NZ assess's GST and Duty on the stated PURCHASE PRICE on the boat documents. It will pay you to pay attention to what I just said.
If you can't afford to pay the GST/Duty within 18 days then when you get asked if you are coming home permanently you tell them NO...just visiting. You then get a temp import licence valid for 12 mnths. At the end of those 12mnths the boat has to leave the country OR you have to fully import it meaning paying the GST/Duty.

There is absolutely NO way around this...believe me I checked it out...Customs felt sorry for me and THEY checked it out....

Good Luck!
Old 02-03-2011, 23:59   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Contessa OOD34

You may have issues claming back the Australian GST if it was purchased for private use or something along those lines. Ring the ATO and ask. Ring the New Zealand authorities (IRD and Customs) and ask. But the normal amounts are as Rangiroo said. The trick is to keep cruising.
Sailboatminder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 00:37   #8

Boat: Stevens 47

By the way...how long you have been out of NZ has absolutely NO bearing on anything to do with importing a boat. I was out of the country living abroad for 27 years...meaning all the money I paid for my boat with was all earned offshore and had nothing to do with NZ whatsoever....made not a jot of difference! The infuriating thing is that boats are the ONLY big ticket item that is treated like that. If I had been an avid flyer and had my own Lear Jet to bring home there would be NO GST/Duty at all.....same for cars etc.....it ONLY applies to boats!......something to lobby your MP about!!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:33   #9

Hi Guys,
I am in the same position looking to purchase a boat outside of NZ. My wife is a US citizen (with NZ residency) and I am a kiwi. We have been living in Christchurch for the past 17 years and have raised children here. If I purchased the boat under my wifes' name would GST and Duty still be payable?

Cheers
Snorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:37   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Contessa OOD34

Anything you import in to NZ over about $750 you must pay GST. I have imported cars and you still have to pay gst and im sure planes would be the same. Maybe no duty but still the GST.
Sailboatminder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 15:05   #11

Thanks all for your informed responses
SeaKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 20:58   #12

Boat: Sailing Cat, 48ft

Further to this topic, perhaps one or two of you may help me.

I am looking at buying a NZ built and registered boat in Asia. I intend to live aboard for a year or two, then bring her back.

From the previous posts I guess I am up for GST.
But what about duty ?

Also, she has had her taxes paid in Aus...if that helps to get in there, or back to NZ.

I am an NZ'er.

Any help appreciated........
JCNelson is offline   Reply With Quote