Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2012, 06:58   #76

Boat: Fisher, 31, 9,65M + Hallberg 33 Mistral
If thats the only requirement from the survey, then your lucky. Thorbad if you have a spare starboard bow navigation light, I will buy it from you, got the glass, but damaged the stainless part.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 13:00   #77

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Monsun 31
Re: Need Advice from Experienced Seagoers Regarding New Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
If thats the only requirement from the survey, then your lucky. Thorbad if you have a spare starboard bow navigation light, I will buy it from you, got the glass, but damaged the stainless part.

Hiya all

Cleaning and general getting my whearabouts on the boat is kinda complete xD

Now all that I am waiting for is for the owner to accept the Survey report and proceed to either fix the small things that were discovered or give some sort of financial incentive xD (greedy much? Nah, its how the contract was made up. Besides it was still her responsibility. . .)

In the meantime I am reading up on Bukh's maybe I can give it a general service myself. I hope there is nothing majorly wrong with the engine (did not try to turn it over) but I heard that marine engines, even when winternised properly, do not like to be left standing for 2years.

Selene I checked for you, but no spare navigation lights available. Actually I have to buy the mast and starboard light myself as they do not work (still gotta test if its the bulb). I Was gna just replace all with LED variants. . .

Also I just love the way brass looks when its polished :P.
Thorbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 09:23   #78

All seems to go well, and you even got time for brass-polishing
I changed all my interior bulbs with LED, used this comp. not sure if they are cheapest but web is very good for knowledge and whats available.
Old 29-05-2012, 09:24   #79

Thumb, forgot the link
http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Old 29-05-2012, 09:54   #80

About engine, This is what I'd do/have been recommended:
1. Try turn the engine manually with a wrench.
2. Check/replace the drivebelt.
3. Check/replace the empella.
4. Replace oil and fuelfilter.
5. Do an oilchange, and check/change transmission fluid.
6. Check/clean waterstrainer and, if you got one, the RACON water separator. Remember to refill RACON with disel.
7. IF ON LAND: Connect waterhose to waterstrainer outlet, start engine, within 10sec turn on water through hose moderately.
8. IF IN WATER: Make sure seacock is open, start engine.
9. Check coolingwater is beeing pumped/spitting out of your boat.
10. When satisfied, turn off water and then engine.
Good luck, as if you need it, I'm sure it will spin like a cat.
Old 10-07-2012, 20:10   #81

Well a little update. . . .

The owner finally got back to us with regards to her accepting the terms of the survey and changing stuff that needs to be changed (abt time)

With regards the engine. . .the yard does not allow you to do it yourself so we had to get the "experts" to do it.

They had to first strengthen the boat on shore by adding more supports and then get the engine running.

So the appointment was for today at 9am. Me and the broker turned up. . .No one. We waited till 9.30. . .nothing. After that we went to the office to see what was up. They forgot about us -_- Were told that it will not be done before at least 10.20.

So at 10.30 finally things get moving. We get the boat supported on a hoist (nope they didnt even bother adding the extra supports) and got this "mechanic" guy that did not know why you should prime the fuel line first before attempting to start -_- (and I do not know much about marine diesel engines yet!)

Anyways. . .the boat is with keyless ignition. So we switched everything on....ignition on....turned the switch to the start position.......nothing (. Kinda felt depressing. . .

So this guy got an "electrician" to come have a look at it. The guy didnt even get a multimeter with him so we had to wait 10min for him to get back. . . only for him to go "Oh you got big batteries this will not do" -_- and go get an extra multimeter. .

Tried connecting batteries in parallel but in vain. The motor Battery is new (bought it 3days ago. . 100Ah) and the House battery is still good (another 110Ah). I have no idea what is wrong (I am no electrician) and neither did the guys from the yard (or morons. Call as you see fit. . .).

Supposedly the broker had a strongly worded argument with the yard manager after this. . .And hopefully a competent guy will take a look at the setup to see were the fault is. . .

The batteries do react to the starting attempt, because when the switch is turned into start I could see a minor drop on the Voltmeter. Maybe something is not quite right but ehh. . .goodluck in finding what to the electrician
Old 15-07-2012, 09:21   #82

Hope the engine is not stuck. Good luck with getting her running!
Old 13-08-2012, 03:39   #83

After countless phone calls and swearing. . .and after the broker himself threatened the yard that we will not pay them (lol). . .works got underway.

There was an electrical fault behind the starting panel. The thru-hulls got replaced instead of re-sealed as they wanted. Now the surveyor has to review the work carried out and I have to make an appointment with the yard so I see the engine working in person (they said they ran it for 10mins).

Once this is done. . .I guess I can start scraping the bottom and applying new antifouling

*Sigh* When you need the service of others I suppose it is always stressful as hell...

Is painting the bottom just a question of masking the area off. . .scraping it with sandpaper/finer grades. . .washing it off and then just paint it over with a roller? Just wondering xD
Old 13-08-2012, 15:17   #84

I suggest you clean it with muriatic acid, smoothe it, without too much sanding, and then give it two layers of anti-fouling.
Old 13-08-2012, 15:32   #85

Thorbad, with regard to starting the engine (not sure if you are aware). I understand you have a keyless startpannel. Remember to do the preheat after the two beep's. shortly press the start/engine turn button, and the display will change to preheating, after preheating, aprox.5-10 sec, the display will return to engine hours, press the start/engine turn button again to start the engine.
Old 19-08-2012, 16:48   #86

TY for that Selene )

Well the yard said they found a fault behind the panel. . most probably a corroded wire they still have to say in the final work report.

I still need them to replace one final thru-hull. . .Seriously most lazy asses ever!! Its not like they are busy *sigh*

Tomorrow I start giving it a thorough wash-down and scrub. Then I start sanding it before painting.

By end of this week or next week it is going to be in the water
Old 21-08-2012, 13:58   #87

*&$£$%

Never I have been in so much pain

For one thing I got badly Sunburnt even though I had hats, glasses, sunscreen, water, etc. . .

For the other thing, the previous owners seemed to cherish the idea of plastering layer after layer of hard, copper-based paint.

Its not like the antifouling I see on other boats. Its literally a layer of pure, shiny copper after I stripped the topmost layer (which is btw graphite).

So I stripped it to bare copper. . . used gloves, goggles and mask. . .

My skin and face and hands still got mega irritated from the stupid copper (I think I just discovered I am allergic to it).......

I'm almost a step away from just leaving it like that and splashing it. . .but it looks a bit untidy so will just plaster another layer on top and hope for the best (that it adheres!) and just enjoy one season.

Next year I will just soda blast it to bare gelcoat, give it a layer of osmosis treatment and paint it with proper non super toxic paint. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copper.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	45348  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:14   #88

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

Good luck, it sounds like a sweet boat. Have fun with it.
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote