Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 10:10   #1

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Is this reasonable?

Hi!

I am planning to buy a boat with my SO.

We're looking to buy in the Mediterranean next spring. The idea is get a vessel that we could live on and sail immediately for day trips and about a year later take across the big pond.

From what we have seen we'd like to go for something with 40+ feet, so we can have friends and family visit us, without it being too claustrophobic.

We expect some repairs/replacements, but she should be pretty much turn-key ready.... and our budget is around 80k Euro. (The plans is for me to work off of the boat, so we will have more money coming in for upgrades and such)

Does that sound feasible?
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 13:16   #2

Re: Is this reasonable?

Oh yes, and any tips on when/where to buy are greatly appreciated.

Our plan right now is to go to Greece at some point in March, pick up another sailing course for a week and at the same time start looking at the marinas there etc.

We went though YachtWorld and then I found that smaller, more localized websites can offer better/cheaper deals. I don't know how I feel about that yet.
Old 07-08-2015, 13:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is this reasonable?

Boats for sale, used boats, new boat sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck
Yes.. its feasible.. just depends on how fussy you are..
Oh... and Spring is when boats are expensive.. Autumn is the time to shop.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:38   #4

Thanks!

As for the timing. How much of a premium (in ~%) we would have to pay for buying in spring/end of winter?

The thing is if we buy next autumn we will have some substantial opportunity costs. (Getting an apartment with the dog for that time...)
Old 10-08-2015, 13:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

The cost of apartment, deposit and whatnot will pale in comparison to the cost of making a bad decision on your cruising vessel. Take your time and select the right boat for you and your situation -- you will be very happy.

About the folks coming to visit -- you will likely feel claustrophobic with non-boaters aboard no matter how big your chosen vessel is. Non-boaters take up amazing quantities of physical space with all their stuff and of mental space with all the crazy things they do that you just wouldn't imagine. If you're budget aware, you might just spring for hotel bills for them to visit you from time to time -- you'll be happy on your own (smaller) boat and you won't have to be falling all over each other. Amazingly, nonboaters don't really want to be on your boat to actually sail anywhere--they just want to sit around and soak up the sun or just chat with you. No need for them to even be aboard for this to happen.

Best of luck!
Old 10-08-2015, 16:27   #6

Thankfully all the parents are boaters themselves in at least some form. That should help. But I bring the cost vs. hotel thing up the next time.

Would it make sense to look in north america as well and then pay someone to have it sailed over to europe? I am getting the feeling sailboats might be cheaper here on the east coast.
Old 10-08-2015, 19:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Do you already sail? Or is this a "I'm going to get a boat and learn how to sail and ...." situation?
Old 10-08-2015, 20:59   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
The cost of apartment, deposit and whatnot will pale in comparison to the cost of making a bad decision on your cruising vessel. Take your time and select the right boat for you and your situation -- you will be very happy.

About the folks coming to visit -- you will likely feel claustrophobic with non-boaters aboard no matter how big your chosen vessel is. Non-boaters take up amazing quantities of physical space with all their stuff and of mental space with all the crazy things they do that you just wouldn't imagine. If you're budget aware, you might just spring for hotel bills for them to visit you from time to time -- you'll be happy on your own (smaller) boat and you won't have to be falling all over each other. Amazingly, nonboaters don't really want to be on your boat to actually sail anywhere--they just want to sit around and soak up the sun or just chat with you. No need for them to even be aboard for this to happen.

Best of luck!
+1 on this. The rule is, imagine having the guests in question live with you in your bedrooom. As such is literally the amount of space, & privacy that you'll have.

Also, yes, with that kind of budget, what you're wanting is easily doable. You could even snag a mid sized catamaran for those figures, especially in Europe.
Plus, as you surmised, buying in the; off season, early or late season really does help, deal wise.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 14:56   #9

Thanks guys for the input. It was really helpful. Can't wait to finally get out there.