Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 07:24   #31

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: I know a sailor so cheap he....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I had a sailor call me to change his stuffing box hose. ...............
And yet, people on this forum go on and on about how to do things the cheap, half assed way to save a few dollars.

Your post is a great example of how the cheap way often turns out to be the most expensive way.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:39   #32

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

All this talk about polishing bolts, and I'm thinking "Damn, I already did that".

http://youtu.be/mAZgcjFZ40I
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:40   #33

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I had a sailor call me to change his stuffing box hose. It was so rotted out it was physically leaking. I went through the whole litany of proper procedure, how to correctly do the job, what it entails and what to expect.

I explained that if the shaft would not come out of the coupling it would need to be cut and both replaced. I explained that under no circumstances would I use a slide hammer to remove the shaft from coupling. I explained how easy it is to damage the gear flange, brinell the bearings or damage the reversing gear using improper techniques. I also explained he had no room to get a proper coupling puller in there.

I also went into great detail about proper fit of the coupling to shaft, discussed fitting and facing, machine shop expenses, coupling options etc.. I also explained that once the coupling was removed, and the layer of rust broken free, that it was quite probable the coupling could not be re-used because it had lost its fit tolerance.

He was tweaking and twitching the entire time. He then insisted that I use some wire reinforced wet exhaust hose, he already had on hand, for the new stuffing box hose. I politely told him I would not do that and the proper hose costs about $12.00.

I left and never heard from him until part way through the summer, after his boat sank to the settee cushions...... He had rented a slide hammer, re-used the coupling and the shaft came out of it when he hit reverse picking up the mooring!

He wanted to know if I could tell the insurance company the work was done by me and done professionally... "Sorry, I can't do that, I did not do the work and I can tell, based on what you just told me, it was not done properly, AS WE DISCUSSED IN GREAT DETAIL.".... Oh and his reversing gear was making "funny noises" and he wanted to see if I could fix it once he got the salt water out of it. "Sorry I am too busy to get to that until next spring call XXXX."..

Long and short, I heard later that the boat was considered a total loss by the insurance company anyway.....
That is priceless. Good thing he saved his $12 dollars and some labor on his repair. When will people realize that being cheap usually means costing way more in the end?
Old 09-02-2015, 08:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I know a sailor so cheap, that he squeaks when he walks.
Who are you?

The expression is: They're so 'tight,' they squeak when they walk.

Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:19   #35

Many times living cheaply, Comfortably, requires Knowledge that involves great expenditures of time. If you know all the various intricacy's of the mechanics Of how the shaft seal works you could tell by working on it whether it was replaceable or should be used again. So many times, I use time and knowledge, the same way someone with lots of money uses their money and someone else's knowledge. So It only becomes cheap when someone does the job with no knowledge and no money. So, the use of time and knowledge is a direct exchange with the use of money. I can go on a boat and check all its mechanical systems and its structure as well as the man that you would hire to do that job. However, I would have to hire someone to repair my radio or my radar. So I might think that a person who won't spend the time and the money to acquire the knowledge, to fix something, is being cheap by hiring someone to work on their boat. Nothing in life is totally free, even wind to drive that sailboat. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
Many times living cheaply, Comfortably, requires Knowledge that involves great expenditures of time. If you know all the various intricacy's of the mechanics Of how the shaft seal works you could tell by working on it whether it was replaceable or should be used again. So many times, I use time and knowledge, the same way someone with lots of money uses their money and someone else's knowledge. So It only becomes cheap when someone does the job with no knowledge and no money. So, the use of time and knowledge is a direct exchange with the use of money. I can go on a boat and check all its mechanical systems and its structure as well as the man that you would hire to do that job. However, I would have to hire someone to repair my radio or my radar. So I might think that a person who won't spend the time and the money to acquire the knowledge, to fix something, is being cheap by hiring someone to work on their boat. Nothing in life is totally free, even wind to drive that sailboat. Mac
There's the sailor who used only one had to make all his repairs.

His boat sank with all his possessions, but according to him he saved a lot of money.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:30   #37

Boat: Triangle 32, center-cockpit ketch

So cheap I'd rather learn to anchor properly than pay the outrageous price of a slip!
kjdavie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:55   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavie01 View Post
So cheap I'd rather learn to anchor properly than pay the outrageous price of a slip!
So you would be the sailor who pulls into the marina, fills his water tanks, dumps two weeks worth of trash and garbage, takes a dump in the marina's head, buys five gallons of fuel without tipping and then casts off and anchors a hundred feet off the marina dock.

I have paid an outrageous price for a slip once or twice but more often the price is pretty reasonable. I also know how to properly anchor my boat if that's my choice.

I make a choice to spend a night or two in a marina to use the facilities, visit the town, eat in the restaurants, etc. Or, I just anchor for the night in a safe spot and move on the next morning.

And I install or repair what I have the knowledge and skills to do and I pay a pro to do the rest. One has to know his or her limits or one will likely end up in deep doo doo.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:53   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
So you would be the sailor who pulls into the marina, fills his water tanks, dumps two weeks worth of trash and garbage, takes a dump in the marina's head, buys five gallons of fuel without tipping and then casts off and anchors a hundred feet off the marina dock
I know its easy to villianize a sailor who only uses the dock for garbage and water, but some of us "so cheap" sailors have learned how to buy only biodegradable packages (and bring our own grocery bags) throw all food scraps in small bits off offshore, and only come ashore for plastic recycling and fresh water. That one bag of garbage I put in the trash may represent a month. Of course others put tons of really stinky garbage in after a weekend drunken party.
In Northern BC the few ports that accept garbage charge for it. I am OK with it. Makes us only bring in garbage that cannot be returned to the earth in better ways. I just wish they would recycle most of it.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:54   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
One has to know his or her limits or one will likely end up in deep doo doo.
Some of us, don't have limits and can do everything. OK Ok it's true, I can't weld worth a darn. But I do know a great welder. Gee I guess I do have limits.... Huh. Who knew.

I have you know I purchased 10 gallons of diesel, last week when I was at the fuel dock. But then my fuel tank only holds 18 gallons anyway.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:11   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
All this talk about polishing bolts, and I'm thinking "Damn, I already did that".

http://youtu.be/mAZgcjFZ40I
Ah, polishing with black stuff over carpet.
True sailor !!
Did your wife have a comment?

(I solder over carpet and other finished surfaces when I think I can get away with it)

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:16   #42

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

I know a sailor so cheap he built his own boat using his own labor!!!

Oh, and after he launched he invited me for a coffee...
I found out he uses the same filter and grounded coffee several times a day...

This is double cheap.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:07   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
................. Oh, and after he launched he invited me for a coffee...

This is double cheap.
Double cheap is washing and reusing condoms!

Triple cheap is washing and reusing condoms you find in the parking lot!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:18   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

All right I admit it. I wear the same clothes for 2 days when we are offshore. I do like bucket washing my clothes though. Makes them so soft.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:45   #45

Boat: Custom Cutter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I know a sailor so cheap he built his own boat using his own labor!!!

Oh, and after he launched he invited me for a coffee...

This is double cheap.
Well, now, this is not nice. We built our own boat with our own labor - husband and I - because the boats that were in our price range at the time were garbage, and also because we wanted the boat to be as we wanted it. By the time we were finished, the receipts for everything were in the low 200K, and our labor on top of it. All along we thought we were smart, and courageous, and determined, and you come along and label us cheap. Even though we are not the ones who invited you for coffee, we are definitely the ones who never will. SV MONICA

Tags
cheap, sail