Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: when you were boat shopping, how many did you look at in person
0-5 29 40.85%
6-10 22 30.99%
11-15 9 12.68%
16-25 3 4.23%
26-35 4 5.63%
36-50 3 4.23%
51+ 1 1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2010, 04:16   #16

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
With the economy being down, there are so many boats out there to choose from, that it wasn't very difficult.

I knew exactly what I was looking for: A tough, shoal draft pocket cruiser that would take abuse from a learning newbie. It didn't have to be sleek or fast, but it did have to sleep a few people, I had to be able to stand up in it and I had to be able to handle it by myself.

I dunno...maybe my criteria just wasn't very strict.
Old 29-07-2010, 17:53   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I know a couple who looked at boats at least every other weekend for 11 years before they bought. ELEVEN YEARS! Nut jobs, both of them.

She replaced me at a job that I quit once, her demeanor drove the business down to 25% of what I had maintained in her estimation. I didn't even work hard there. I did 50% of my work for that job while I was tending a kayak shop for a friend.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 06:52   #18

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
My boat purchases have ranged from 1 to 20 or more depending on the circumstances. I usually do a fairly exhaustive internet search. If the first boat I look at lives up to my hopes, that may be the end of the search. If not, it may take many more...

When I purchased a new boat in charter, I never really looked at any boats in person in regards to buying the actual boat I was looking at, though I had sailed many similar boats.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 07:17   #19

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail View Post
BTW, we flew from Long Island, NY to Everett, WA to see boat #5 -- the one we bought. And we found it because I put a boat wanted ad in a magazine and the owner called me!
So which one did you get?..the Lagoon 35ccc or F&P Tobago?
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 07:21   #20

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
I looked at close to 50 boats over a two year period for a couple of reasons. We were moving up from a 21' trailer-sailor and had a lot to learn about diesels, roller furling, wheel vs tiller, headroom, mast height, draft cockpit size, enclosed heads, propane, refers, etc. I travel all over the US, so planned many business trips around seeing boats. Sure I'm not the first to do that The Newport 28 was to be our transition boat to a mid-30's for some coastal Florida, Keys and Bahamas cruising, but my wife's agressive osteoarthritis and many related surgeries have ended that goal, so we bareboat in the BVI's every summer and get out on our N28 most weekends.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 07:26   #21

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
I remember each well. As an almost total newbie at the time, I hadn't a great deal to go on, except it had to have a neat interior...
I looked at
Corbin 39
Shannon 28
Starrett & Jenks 45
Sigma 36
Niagra 35
Bristol 40
Cal 40
Morgan 40 something or other
Before deciding on my Rasmus. As you can see, they have almost nothing in common with each other.
And there have certainly been times I wished I'd bought one of the others, especially the Corbin.
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 07:47   #22
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Anzo, what made you choose the Rasmus...and what do you use the back cabin for?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 08:10   #23

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
Well, the pedigree for one. But I really liked the way the cockpit was almost an extension of the saloon-just 3 steps up (easy to communicate with whoever is in the saloon, and when I stand in the cockpit my feet are maybe a foot above the waterline. Liked the center cockpit/hard dodger/great engine access. Liked the 3 separate sleeping areas on a 35 footer. The aft cabin is for me when I have guests, otherwise, it's a huge garage.
Thanks for asking.
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 04:21   #24
CLOD

Boat: none
Well so far based on the poll; regardless of what gets posted about how many boats people have looked at in their search, most people only go look at a few boats prior to buying. I think this suggests that most do their research on-line etc and narrow down what they want in the boat prior to going to look at them. So I would say those that post they have been looking for years etc aren't looking to buy a boat, they are just "shoppers" doing so as something to do.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 04:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
So I would say those that post they have been looking for years etc aren't looking to buy a boat, they are just "shoppers" doing so as something to do.
Don,

I would disagree with that statement. I agree with your other statement. We are looking online and coming up with a short list. to a individual with mass amounts of income, this may not be as important. I saw a post with a gentleman who said he has a $700,000 U.S budget. the typical intor-boater with that kind of budget will proabably have the funds to fly/drive to multiple boats to "see" them. However, the guy on a "lesser" budget, who also may not live or have a job that allows the freedom to just take off and fly to Florida or Spain or the BVI's...well..he's spending more time on the internet..researching the "best" boat for HIS/HER situation. For someone on a "lesser" budget or near retirement where a boat payment may be out of the question.....determining needs vs wants vs budget vs reliability vs insurance vs dockage vs etc..etc..
It can take a long while to compile and determine your short list. Now once you have that list...you might wait for a year or so for THAT boat to come on the market.

Just my .02 U.S.

Doug
Old 31-07-2010, 05:10   #26
CLOD

Boat: none
Well I had a real post, but lost it when my finger dragged and the page changed.

The post is about how many boats you went to look at in PERSON. I would hope everyone did their on-line research before spending the time and effort to go visit a boat.

But if you have been going to look at boats for years, then you are a looker/shopper. This is more about dreams and entertainment than in buying a boat.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 07:35   #27

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
I think if the same question was asked 20-30 years ago the number of boats physically looked at would be much higher. Online I have looked at countless boats, some just dreaming others seriously looking. Before I bought my current boat I had looked at about 30-40 online in my area, had made a short list of about 6 to go see.

But our current boat, which is just a weekend day sailor, actually happened upon us, I was at a marina bar talking with a friend when the owner came over, was talking about his upcoming move to Panama and he has to get rid of his boat because he didn't want to pay the winter storage. He had been trying to sell all summer and now with 3 days left before his departure he was getting frustrated. We drove out that night to look at it. Took the wife back the next day. He sold it to us for 1/4 of the asking price. Perfect starter boat for us we have enjoyed many weekends out with the kids. I have already been offered twice what I paid for her, so I am happy with my rushed purchase.

We have been looking online and boatshows for our big boat, making lists of what things we like, want and dislike. We are still about 4 years from being in a position to buy the boat so right now it is research time.

But like buying a house sometimes they just speak to you and you know it is right. be it the first one you look at or the 100th
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 07:38   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
But like buying a house sometimes they just speak to you and you know it is right. be it the first one you look at or the 100th
Well said sir
Old 31-07-2010, 15:15   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I had the first list narrowed down to 4 makes of a certain size range. I looked at a number of each before cutting the list down to two. Now, I'm looking at those but have recently discovered they make a tall stick version and that there were significant changes in later production cycles. Still, I'm looking at another 3-4 before deciding. I've made two offers but we couldn't agree on price.
Old 31-07-2010, 15:38   #30

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
First time, we looked at 14 boats in person. Part of it was just learning what to look for so we could avoid revisiting the same problems with a new name.

Then we picked a boat, it failed the survey. After that we discussed with the surveyor, based on what we wanted and had to spend what we should be doing. (we had sailing experience, were new to cruisers, wanted blue water capable, but would be in the Chesapeake for a year or so. )

Next round, we looked at 9 boats. Found the Squirrel and that is that.

Observations:
- Pictures make bad boats look good. They rarely make good boats look great.
- Most of the boats we looked at were dirty, sitting on the hard for months or more, with minor to medium fixes needed. Learn what can and cannot be fixed easily and you can turn someone's stink pot into your palace.
- Take the advice given me here, don't fall in love until you bought it.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote