Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 02:30   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

pirate Free Stuff (and bargains) you HAVE acquired or snaffled!

The next best thing to getting free stuff or an absolute bargain (not just a good deal) is sharing news of your good fortune ...........this thread to enable that , time will tell if it has any legs.........

Prompted by a recent run of luck (right place, right time ):-

1) 5 folding plastic crates (and some plastic stacking trays) ............all I had to do was help clear out a charity shop for a relocation to a smaller place (would have done it anyway).

2) A sheet of plywood that I "recycled" from a doublebed headboard, not marine quality of course (closer to shuttering ply ) - but it's big and looks handy for something .....same source as above.

3) A stethoscope! - no idea what I will use it for (engine?)........but same source as above, acquired simply to curtail the discussion on what to do with it!

4) A beer bottle opener .....I simply asked .

Anyone else want to share news of their good fortune?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Free Stuff (and bargains) you HAVE acquired or snaffled!

a beautifully laminated hardwood tiller,complete with stainless bracket-----£15,from pants charity shop!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:04   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Helped a friend scrub his boat - got a beautiful bucket! little scruffed, but watertight and damn handy size

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:17   #4

Boat: Catalina 22
I got a free anchor with the purchase of a pilfered 22ft Catalina.
CoolHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:27   #5

Boat: Fortune 30

Got a $0.50 fender at a garage sale. It had an inch of dust on it and was partly deflated, but when reinflated and cleaned up it looked unused.
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:36   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I live in the US where you can get welfare, free medical care, free schooling, food stamps and a free cell phone for just being here. No papers, visas, documents required. What a deal! Why would I choose to live anywhere else?? Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

We met a cruising couple who were swearing off coffee so they brought us over their stainless steel moka pot and it has been our onboard coffee maker for maybe the last ten years. Makes delicious brew and no throwaway filters.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:45   #8

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Received a quality pressure cooker just for asking. Was pleasantly surprised. Now can preserve my veggies for long journeys. Found a site called freecycle.org. They work like the free section of craigslist and have communities everywhere. Good place for liveaboards to swap out unneeded things for needed things.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:47   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Found a site called freecycle.org. They work like the free section of craigslist and have communities everywhere. Good place for liveaboards to swap out unneeded things for needed things.
Does it work just like craigslist so that when you show up the other party robs you and beats you up?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:53   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

During the tsunami a large powerboat on my dock burst two large 12" fenders. Taylor Made. I fished them out of the dumpster, took them to West Marine, and was given two brand-new replacements due to Taylor Made's lifetime guarantee against burst seams.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:53   #11

no. I have nothing to take anyway! Seems to be good hearted people!
I also received a fully functional darkroom enlarger and a laptop and a Ryobi chop saw. Passed the enlarger on to a friend that does photo work. Laptop will use as backup. The other day I saw somebody asked for and received a GPS in one day. System works for me. Site has saved me $$$ so far!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:18   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

folks have been most generous with me.
cannot begin to list the items donated.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:44   #13

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Being the child of Depression/WWII-era parents, now deceased, I honour their memory by scavenging. The coffee table and couch in front of our TV were both "finds", as were several bookshelves and other easily cleaned and inspected items. I've found all sorts of hand tools in the garbage as well, and loads of books, newish DVDs/CDs and scads of computer gear, which I've been able to "harvest" for my own use.

I am amazed and sometimes appalled at what others chuck. I have lengths of lumber, pieces of teak that are pristine after one run through a planer (the club workshop HAS a planer), half-filled boxes of SS bolts, washers and nuts, power tools in working order (perhaps scuffed), and newish charts in waterproof chart bags, older VHFs, lengths of tinned wire, galvanized shackles, SS wire, large fenders that come clean after three minutes with a Scotchbrite pad, and enough rope and line in good order (after a run in a net bag in the washer) to moor a small navy.

I have also salvaged a Bruce...a real Bruce...a yachtsman's and plenty of good chain (not big enough for my anchor, but big enough for dock bollards).

Just last week, I got a Davis Mark 25 in its box with documents intact in perfect order...and with the artificial horizon I lack for my better sextants. Speaking of which, the Tayama NC-77 in its nice teak box I now own also came from the garbage bin.

I won't even get into the various racks, bins and containers the club itself has chucked that I've salvaged and now hold boat gear in my garage, nor enough steel bar and plate for me to practise-weld on until I become acceptably decent at it.

I try to give back (the club has a "donation" bin), but realistically, I simply don't generate as much waste as others.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I have also salvaged a Bruce...a real Bruce...a yachtsman's and plenty of good chain (not big enough for my anchor, but big enough for dock bollards).

Just last week, I got a Davis Mark 25 in its box with documents intact in perfect order...and with the artificial horizon I lack for my better sextants. Speaking of which, the Tayama NC-77 in its nice teak box I now own also came from the garbage bin.
Gosh! I want to move in next to your neighborhood dumpster!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:58   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

It's amazing. I don't even snap up half the gear I could, because I don't want to queer my karma by taking things I can't legitimately use. Launch and haulout (i.e. "now") are the best times. More than once I've found one-third cans of the same bottom paints as I use chucked (with the lid nicely tightened) and finished my hull for free with three or four of 'em.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Free Stuff