Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 05:08   #16

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
If I pay sales tax to the state of FL on a USCG documented boat I purchase and register in FL, then doesn't that prevent another state - MD for example - from charging me tax? Or must I always be wary of the "90-day rule" in states other than my home state of FL?

We had the exact reverse of that scenario. Originally bought registered etc in MD. Years later moved to FL. When registering the boat in FL[documented in both cases]. They gave us credit for all taxes paid. In our case the rate was the same so there was a small fee for processing only.

In cases where you paid taxes at a lower rate than the new state's I would not be surprised to see them charge you the delta. However depending on the amount of time that passed you might argue the new assesment should be based on current value which would probably be less than the original transaction.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:31   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I was just thinking of living on the cheap, when I am retired. I will probably be on the hook somewhere in Central America, but you have to have a home port. South Carolina sounds good, if I can just talk my Admiral into cruising for 6 months of the year! Then again, paying taxes is not so bad, as long as they are reasonable.(yeah right!) I wouldn't mind being a gypsy, if it were just me- but time to get back to reality.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:00   #18

Boat: custom built 47' wooden trawler yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Paul, what is RI like to keep a boat? Seems like it is centrally located and has quite a good area for living/storing a boat. I understand it has no taxes on documented vessels. Ohio is rumored to be a free state too, but going up the river at the end of crusing season? Sounds like a (current) drag.
You still have to pay sales tax if you purchase a documented vessel in the state of Ohio. If you dont do it volentarely they will catch up to you eventually.
As far as the current, the Ohio River is one of the best rivers for cruising. At pool there is practilly no current, it's wide, and the lower stretch is quite beautiful.
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19   #19

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
Does anyone have any direct info on the extent of the enforcement of this rule? Yesterday we had a mechanical setback that will probably delay our departure until about 14 days after the 90 days has expired, and we were very concerned about the extent of the enforcement of this rule or areas where it is more rigorously enforced.
WW:

there is an exemption. I am trying to find the forms for it. I don't remeber if it was on this forum or on SSCA. I will try to look for it but don't have much time today.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:30   #20

Here is a link. I have not had time to read it but it may be relevant http://lists.samurai.com/pipermail/t...ne/012195.html

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
Does anyone have any direct info on the extent of the enforcement of this rule? Yesterday we had a mechanical setback that will probably delay our departure until about 14 days after the 90 days has expired, and we were very concerned about the extent of the enforcement of this rule or areas where it is more rigorously enforced.
You should be ok, if a professional is doing your repairs.

A boat that remains in Florida for more than 90 consecutive days or more than 183 days in a one-year period is presumed taxable, unless it qualifies for another exemption.

Exemption:
A boat of less than 5 net tons of admeasurement must leave Florida within 10 days of purchase or immediately be placed in the care, custody, and control of a registered repair facility for repairs, additions, or alterations. The boat must leave Florida within 20 days after completion of the repairs.

Goto:
FL Dept Rev - Sales and Use Tax on Boats - Owners and Purchasers

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 15:31   #22

There is also another exemption. I will try and find it but haven't had any luck so far.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 10-01-2009, 17:15   #23

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Paul, what is RI like to keep a boat? Seems like it is centrally located and has quite a good area for living/storing a boat. I understand it has no taxes on documented vessels. Ohio is rumored to be a free state too, but going up the river at the end of crusing season? Sounds like a (current) drag.
Rhode Island is a great place to boat and to keep one. It has almost as much water as it has land and there are marinas and boats everywhere. They have no taxes on boats, but their registration fee is $250 per 2 year period. Any boat in the state waters for more than 90 days is required to register there. I have not found exceptions to that.
The main reason to keep a boat in RI is that they don't have a sales tax. I have bought my last two boats there and taken them both out of state but maintained the registration in RI.
One of the boats I took to Florida and was not charged sales tax because the boat had been registered in another state for more than a year. I have not found Florida taxes to be repressive. If you don't like the boat taxes there, try some other states like SC or MA where the tax is based on the value of the boat and you are charged by mil rate, similar to property taxes.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:47   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
There is also another exemption. I will try and find it but haven't had any luck so far.
I believe that all of the exemptions are listed on the previously-linked site:
FL Dept Rev - Sales and Use Tax on Boats - Owners and Purchasers

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 17:05   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I stand corrected about Ohio. RI still sounds good for roadies (pun intended) I may get my next boat there. I can handle 125 year for registration, even if retired. And I bet I can find a mailbox and mooring ball when I want to go see the grandkids...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 17:21   #26

Boat: Beneteau 50
NY requires registration in another state.

- and -

NY requires registration in NY if you are "90 consecutive days in NY waters".
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida