Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2012, 05:57   #1

Boat: Fountain Pajot Bahia 46
Experiences with Brokers in St. Martin

I am planning to buy a boat in st martin and was wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences with surveyers/brokers there.

Also any information about the carribean market would be appreciated. Is it common to get the asking price for a listed boat. Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to boat prices in this region?
pina.banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 07:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Experiences with Brokers in St. Martin

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, pina.banana.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 11:54   #3

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I spoke with one in St Martin, where I wanted to buy a boat for about $10K. She said I wouldn't find any since I would take her as much time to sell a 10K boat as a 400K boat. The commission on the second would be better. Thats my only experience. I bought a boat for 15K in Antigua from the owner
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 12:20   #4

Boat: Tatoosh 42/44

I bought Brava in St Marteen.
Had a really bad experience with the Broker, bad for me and even worst for the ex owner.
You can just ask around and they will tell you who are the good ones and who are the bad ones.
If you want more info, please PM me.
Lots of boats to sell in the Caribbean, what kind (size, model) you are looking for?
Here in Puerto Lindo there's some 38-42ft around 30-40K
But sometimes you can find even better deals.
Good luck
S.V Brava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 04:19   #5

Boat: Fountain Pajot Bahia 46

If anyone else needs a good broker in St Marteen I strongly reccomend Tony Brewer from the little ship company. Honest and hard working, aims to have both seller and buyer leave the deal with a smile.
pina.banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 18:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pina.banana View Post
If anyone else needs a good broker in St Marteen I strongly reccomend Tony Brewer from the little ship company. Honest and hard working, aims to have both seller and buyer leave the deal with a smile.
In all fairness I had a horrible experience with Tony Brewer.

I found a boat that I was interested it purchasing and the first thing he did was try to sell me another boat. Not great for the seller.

Next he refused to honor my buyers agent. Finally, he was so unreasonable and such an ass that I just walked away from the boat. And this was a boat I really wanted to purchase. Please feel free to contact me for the complete story.
NavalNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:54   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nerd.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:11   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

As with many things of a professional nature down here in the Caribbean, you will find a lot of rejects from "The Real World" who want to get paid to drink rum and live the dream. I have met a lot of yacht brokers here in st Maarten and on the other islands and have yet to be even mildly impressed with a single one. Just look at the caliber of their listings and you will get a good idea of the level of commitment to their job. If you can't take a decent picture, can't spell, and don't answer your phone maybe you should think about going to bar tending school. Sorry, can not give you a single recommendation. I am thinking about putting my boat up for sale this summer and getting something bigger. There is no way I would use someone down here. I'll list it with a real broker in the U.S., show it myself and buy the replacement up there.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:19   #9

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

There is a very good broker I know of on St. Maarten. Reg Bates. Weather Eye Yacht sales. He's a long time resident there and a fellow cruiser. Most important to me was that he was good to his word and I like that.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:20   #10

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:

I think I'm confused? You open this thread asking for Broker input but then follow shortly with a recommendation?

Am I missing something?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:39   #11

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

This thread was 5 years old.
Not that it matters it is always good to hear info on the good, bad and ugly~

Bacchus: to be fair his second post was 3 months later. I would assume he found what he considered a good one for him.
Sometimes it just seems like a time warp on here. LOL

James Cook
CaptJamesCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:21   #12

Boat: FP, Orana 44, Mari's Leonardo
Send a message via Skype™ to marisleonardo

Quote:
I am planning to buy a boat in st martin and was wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences with surveyers/brokers there.

Also any information about the carribean market would be appreciated. Is it common to get the asking price for a listed boat. Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to boat prices in this region?
Contact Peter Cohen and Julia the sales crew at Caribbean Multihulls...Peter is very experienced of good character with sound business ethics and brokers all types of vessels, not just multi hulls. Good luck hunting to ya
marisleonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:49   #13

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooksFraming View Post
Bacchus: to be fair his second post was 3 months later. I would assume he found what he considered a good one for him.
Sometimes it just seems like a time warp on here. LOL

James Cook
James, excellent catch! See, I was missing something and I am now a little more educated when it comes to reading threads. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:28   #14

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I bought our boat through Tony Brewer, he was a consummate professional and good to his word. His paperwork was extensive and comprehensive and we registered the boat without issue. He also lent us a mooring until we got our own and introduced us to good contacts in St. Martin. Tony can be a little brusk but he has to put up with a lot of time wasters so I understand why.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:28   #15

Boat: C&C 37/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
As with many things of a professional nature down here in the Caribbean, you will find a lot of rejects from "The Real World" who want to get paid to drink rum and live the dream. I have met a lot of yacht brokers here in st Maarten and on the other islands and have yet to be even mildly impressed with a single one. Just look at the caliber of their listings and you will get a good idea of the level of commitment to their job. If you can't take a decent picture, can't spell, and don't answer your phone maybe you should think about going to bar tending school.
Expect there are some bad and some good - pretty much the same as anywhere. But the OP was just looking for anecdotal feedback on people's experience.

I'd be very interested about hearing people's experience with brokers and surveyors in either BVI's or USVI's.

I think cruisers providing advice on this is one of the best uses of this forum. Keeping in mind that opinions are only opinions....
Tasso is offline   Reply With Quote