Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 08:27   #16

Re: Defender Marine Price More Than Double Competition

Maybe its got something to do with exporting to the EUC? All the big marine warehouses are about the same price on most things since they are locked into a competitive situation, at least with mail orders. However, most of them are more expensive than local marine shops or those shipping from Canada or from China. Same goods, different taxes and exchange rates. Changes a lot.

We outfitted our cruises from commercial fish supply shops. Best quality at mostly best prices. Some of the shops up here even have the original Black Diamond souwester hats. Old inventory but the best in the world.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:27   #17
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

in considering the motivation of the OB's post: - it might be clickbait but many people are lurkers until they get truly buzzed by something or have something of value to add.

I buy lots from Defender (often through Active Captain) because they have the stuff in stock and they'll hold the products at the desk until I have a reason to drive past there on the way to something in Massachusetts or Rhode Island.

Defender is often the cheapest major retailer. when buying big ticket items there's more than initial purchase price. also tax, shipping, service reputation, source, in stock, tech help. Defender has been very good on all of this.
FWIW
Old 01-12-2015, 08:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSailor View Post
Defender used to have very fair prices. They are rarely competitive any lone. Example: A marine refrigerator Isotherm Bl 75 is sold by Defender for more than $1800 U.S. The regular (not on sale) price is 1163 Euros on a European website and that includes a VAT (value added tax) of 22% which is not applied if the item is shipped out of the Euro zone. Thus the actual price in U.S. dollars would be $907.14--Less than half of Defender's price.
Defender did not make an appearance at this year's boat show">Annapolis boat show, the first time ever. I wonder if they are about to go bankrupt and if this could explain their change in pricing structure. I used to buy thousands of dollars of equipment from them but they are no longer competitive.
You can see for yourself by going to this website: I wonder why the Isotherm BL 75 is sold by Defender for $1824.95 while being offered by a European website for 1163 Euros minus the 22% VAT which would make the actual price $907.14 in U.S. dollars. Defender price is more than double. There must be an explanation for this very large difference. In any case, please give me your best price and explain why you can not match the French price. Here is the French website showing the item with price.
http://www.yachtshop.it/produit_osculati/5004200/Osculati%20-%20R%C3%A9frigerateur%20BI75%2075%20litres
That looks as though it is an Italian site with the .it web address.
nebeluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Maybe its got something to do with exporting to the EUC? All the big marine warehouses are about the same price on most things since they are locked into a competitive situation, at least with mail orders. However, most of them are more expensive than local marine shops or those shipping from Canada or from China. Same goods, different taxes and exchange rates. Changes a lot.

We outfitted our cruises from commercial fish supply shops. Best quality at mostly best prices. Some of the shops up here even have the original Black Diamond souwester hats. Old inventory but the best in the world.
where is "up here" ? You don't have a home listing in your bio.
nebeluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebeluk View Post
where is "up here" ? You don't have a home listing in your bio.
Island off of midcoast Maine.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:41   #21

Boat: 72 Coronado 35 Ketch

To start a thread such as this makes me suspicious of your true intentions.
You come out of the chute complaining about Defendera pricing.

I've found on some items they are competitive on others they are not. There is no rule that says they can't determine their own prices. That's why there is so much competition in retail catalog sales.
1HappySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:27   #22

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Example: A marine refrigerator Isotherm Bl 75 is sold by Defender for more than $1800 U.S. The regular (not on sale) price is 1163 Euros on a European website and that includes a VAT (value added tax) of 22% which is not applied if the item is shipped out of the Euro zone. Thus the actual price in U.S. dollars would be $907.14--Less than half of Defender's price.
. There must be an explanation for this very large difference.
http://www.yachtshop.it/produit_osculati/5004200/Osculati%20-%20R%C3%A9frigerateur%20BI75%2075%20litres
It is possible that although the model number is the same, that the actual product is different. Perhaps what they are selling has different options or comes with accessories that the other website isn't including. I have seen examples similar to this and (as they say in the NFL or No Fun League) upon further review, found that there were differences. In electronics, I have seen people say that you can get a chartplotter for less at vendor A versus vendor B. When you look closely however you see that vendor A's chart plotter doesn't have preloaded charts, or doesn't include a transducer.

You may be right but then again there may be more to it than meets the eye. In this case, what are the voltages? What options if any does it include? What is the finish, e.g. stainless versus painted. The list goes on.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:29   #23

I have also bought thousands threw Defender and almost always they are the cheapest price! Just bought 200' of Acco high test chain and with shipping the were still over a buck per foot cheaper! BS Post!
Wolverine6300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:29   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Defender made a business decision to stop going to boat shows. This wasn't a decision of weakness, but rather they have decided to maintain a certain size and operation style, and boat shows don't fit into this. AFAIK, they are still making money hand over fist and are not in debt.

As for prices, once in a while I run across outrageous specific examples like yours. I suspect these are due to some type of mistake, but I have never had a reason to ask them directly.

In general, however, I find their prices overall to be lower than many other top-end places and higher than only a few small drop-ship-only places whose business is hanging on the next order.

And Defender's service and support is first-rate, including their willingness and ability to muscle manufacturers on your behalf should something be intrinsically wrong with a product.

On certain things they are about the best prices and inventory. For example, we recently bought a new dinghy and they were the second best price we could find, but the only company in the US that actually had them in stock. It was delivered the next day, while everyone else had a 4-8wk wait.

Mark
I positively agree with Mark. I too have had a wonderful experience with Defender and thus far they have always matched a lower price when on the very rare occasion their price has been higher....I'm a defender of Defender. MAK982
MAK982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:29   #25

I'm a cheapskate. I shop everything. I've had good luck with Defender over the years. Not always the cheapest, not always the most expensive. Almost always competitive. Always good service.
This thread hasn't deterred me.
Kelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:47   #26

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Defender used to have very fair prices. They are rarely competitive any lone. Example: A marine refrigerator Isotherm Bl 75 is sold by Defender for more than $1800 U.S. The regular (not on sale) price is 1163 Euros on a European website and that includes a VAT (value added tax) of 22% which is not applied if the item is shipped out of the Euro zone. Thus the actual price in U.S. dollars would be $907.14--Less than half of Defender's price.
Defender did not make an appearance at this year's Annapolis boat show, the first time ever. I wonder if they are about to go bankrupt and if this could explain their change in pricing structure. I used to buy thousands of dollars of equipment from them but they are no longer competitive.
You can see for yourself by going to this website: I wonder why the Isotherm BL 75 is sold by Defender for $1824.95 while being offered by a European website for 1163 Euros minus the 22% VAT which would make the actual price $907.14 in U.S. dollars. Defender price is more than double. There must be an explanation for this very large difference. In any case, please give me your best price and explain why you can not match the French price. Here is the French website showing the item with price.
===

This may be partly a result of a very strong US dollar right now. I remember a similar time in the mid 1970s when there were some incredible bargains available by ordering sailing gear directly from London. It take a while for currency changes to filter through the US supply chain and be reflected by retailers.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:55   #27

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I started buying from Defender for the first time this past year to ready my boat for first time launching. I purchased a number of big ticket items and was quite satisfied with both goods and service . . . until my last purchase, that being a mainsheet traveller. On receiving the item, I discovered I could not install it on my boat due to the fact it had “hidden” fasteners … neither identified, shown, or mentioned in the catalogue.
I requested, and received the OK to return the item. Unfortunately, the cost of this mistake for me far exceeded any savings I had made on earlier purchases and some. We live and learn don’t we? I have now returned to buying from my local marine store, even though his prices are somewhat higher. At least I can return items without a major financial penalty.
It was determined by Defender (that) I “should have known” about the hidden fasteners, and therefore it became my fault for ordering the wrong part … so be it. I’m not into arguing long distance from the store by email, so I returned the part and bought locally.
I maintain Defender had at least partial responsibility in the matter, but chose to blame me in its entirety. They could have offered a 50/50 share out on the costs of returning the part but chose not to. But then, I guess they were doing ok before I started buying from them and won’t miss me as a single customer … will they?
I shall definitely not return to Defender for future requirements because this could easily happen again, and I certainly do not intend to waste money returning goods, that cannot be fitted to my boat.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:13   #28

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I live in Florida but frequently go to Ct. (about 12 miles from Defender), so I wait to buy things specifically to get them from Defender. I have on rare instances found a higher price than locally, so I wait to buy it until I get home. the buyer must be responsible for their purchases, not the seller. overall I rate Defender very highly. keep in mind also there really is no Walmart from quality marine equipment. That includes Marine Connection 25 miles from my house.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:23   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Non US made products are typically marketed through an independent US distributor. Often the distributor gets greedy. Years ago, whoever imported Lewmar, SL, Aries, etc. into the US stepped on the products to the tune of a 100% and some at 300% or even higher mark up than in Britain. The costs were so egregious that one British chandlery actually sent sales people to the Annapolis boat show and advertised in US boating magazines. I bought a Brit. Saling magazine and went direct to the advertisers and saved a fortune over US prices. The bigger mfg. have gotten smart and now control their US distribution. Smaller guys may still be at the mercy of an independent distributor. Living in Norfolk at the time, goods were surface freight really cheaply with delivery often 2 weeks after placing an order paid for in British Pounds
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:25   #30

Boat: Scout 30

I've been buying from Defender for 25+ years. Sometimes you can get great deals. I saved more than a grand on my Avon by getting it on clearance. They're not perfect & not always the lowest price but it's a good place to start. Right now I'm looking for a PLB. They've got the new floating ACR ResQlink 375 at $254.99 with an instant $25 rebate & it says a $75 mail in rebate. However, when you look at the rebate form it says the mail in rebate is only $50 so you have to check everything out. There's no sales tax with Defender but shipping is $11. West Marine has it at the same price with the $50 rebate with free shipping but not the instant $25 rebate & you have to pay sales tax. Hodges Marine has it at $219.99 plus the $50 rebate but no $25 rebate & no free shipping.

Internet shopping is complicated & takes some work to get the best deal. Picking 1 item from a retailer & then generalizing about the whole site is foolish.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender, marine, price