Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 16:41   #1

Boat: CT 41 ketch
Deep Sea Delivery Company

Has anyone used this service for boat transport? I have a quote from them to sail my boat between Ventura and Portland with a USCG captain. They seem like a professional lot - anyone used them and can recommend?
Colin
CapnCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 18:23   #2

Re: Deep sea delivery company

It's a company that contracts out with different captains. I've never worked with them but I have a friend who crewed for them once. With any delivery I'd make sure you personally call the references of at least two previously successful deliveries, talking to the owners.

Beyond the company what's important is the person running the show (the captain) and as long as you can get those recommendations I think you're in good shape. The delivery company should have no problems providing you with references for that skipper (and crew). If they say "we already checked so you don't need to", walk away.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 18:30   #3

Boat: CT 41 ketch
Thanks for the reply. My ins. co wants a resume and license for the captain before they'll provide coverage also.
Colin
CapnCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:24   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Deep Sea Delivery Company

Colin, bear in mind when they say a USCG registered captain...yeah, legally any commercial delivery service would have to meet that minimum, any domestic commercial captain has to be USCG licensed in the US anyhow.

And make sure your delivery contract specifies they can't just replace the captain with someone else at the last minute, without your consent and your insurer's.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 04:41   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCol View Post
Thanks for the reply. My ins. co wants a resume and license for the captain before they'll provide coverage also.
Colin
As I write from the sunny Seychelles (where I havent yet bumped into Kate and Wills), I am "rescuing" a failed delivery to Australia. Original delivery company was Not Deep Sea (I dont know them personally) but a rather well-known British operation.

You might want to also ensure that the delivery skipper has Liability Insurance. The insurer of this current delivery required me to have it. Obviously, the references are important and in most cases, the insurance company want to see the Captain's and very often the crew's as well, sailing resumes. Best of luck, Tonyu
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 06:30   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Colin, bear in mind when they say a USCG registered captain...yeah, legally any commercial delivery service would have to meet that minimum, any domestic commercial captain has to be USCG licensed in the US anyhow.

And make sure your delivery contract specifies they can't just replace the captain with someone else at the last minute, without your consent and your insurer's.
a) the USCG doesn't 'register' captains, it issues licenses to mariners.

b) there is no legal requirement to have a captains license to provide professional delivery services. I know many delivery skippers who do not have a USCG license; their resume and reputation are more than enough for them to get plenty of jobs. Insurance companies will usually waive the "licensed captain" requirement if the candidate offers up proof of his experience; indeed, the best ones are already known to the insurance companies.

One guy I know who has been doing US-Caribbean deliveries for years has never had a license, and often does work directly for a number of US insurance companies and banks.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:11   #7

My wife and I have used Deep Sea Delivery. In fact I was trying to find their phone number when I found this thread. They have taken our Lagoon 440 back and forth from RI to the Caribbean twice now and we are looking for them to do it again. They are very cheap and most importantly very thorough. Good luck.
cruiserloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery