Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2009, 16:14   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
We're all going to pay for this - it just isn't readily apparent how yet.

TaoJones

Which I am thankful for, or I wouldn't of got a perfectly seaworthy Columbia 27' for $2000 (minus jib)!! Thank you Mr. Bush!!!
(Although I do feel genuinely sorry for the guy who lost it because he couldn't pay for his slip...)
Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 08:06   #32

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
Where is your marina?
I pay about $350 in Anacortes for 40' slip. The Monitor and bowsprit get me.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here. The marina is Salmon Harbor Marina in Winchester bay, OR. Nasty bar, but certainly do-able. Everything here from 16' skiffs to 80' fishing boats here and occasionally cruising boats will come in to get out of the weather if the timing is right for them. There is a 63' ketch end tied on our dock - that is gives a good idea of what the marina can handle.
Salmon Harbor Marina

Our kids love catching crabs right off the boat in the marina when we are not going out.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 08:17   #33

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Blame Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post
Which I am thankful for, or I wouldn't of got a perfectly seaworthy Columbia 27' for $2000 (minus jib)!! Thank you Mr. Bush!!!
(Although I do feel genuinely sorry for the guy who lost it because he couldn't pay for his slip...)
C'mon Jaz, you can't be in the UK and blame your problems on our boy George; only we can do that. You must have some blame-worthy pols of your own?
SCCatSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 08:28   #34

Haha... we certainly can! But then we can also blame our Mr Blair for being George's lap dog...
Though I think we risk breaking forum rules by going any further down this line of conversation...
Old 28-01-2009, 08:57   #35

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
In Santa Barbara, CA one has to "buy" a slip and then pay rent. It's complicated but a 30' slip goes for up to $60k and the price rises exponentially with length. One consequence is that there are no young sailors in the marina anymore as only the rich or those who have been here for decades can afford it. Very sad and a big change form the '80's when there was a lot more activity around the marina.

To put things in perspective though, I pay more for a slip for may cat in Thailand than I would for the same boat in Ventura. Go figure. (Dan, is there room next to you in Singapore?) Slip fees in neighboring Malaysia are about 1/2 as much. It seems that Mexico too is catching up to Cali as far as slip fees go.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 09:54   #36

Boat: prout event 34
FYI. In Simpson Bay Marina in Dutch St.Maarten in the low season we paid about $700/mo. excluding water and elect. We are a 34' cat but they charged us as a monohull beause we are less than 16' wide. These prices represent a substancial increase when the marina was recently bought out by IGY. No wifi, no laundry, horrible bathroom/shower facilities and very poorly trained staff. IGY is buying up marinas all over the world. You should rue the day they buy yours.
bobelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 10:51   #37

Boat: Cal 34 "Windemere"
bobelon,
From what I can tell from the IGY website is they seem to be getting away from the annual dockage fees and going to the "buy it now" concept.

Luckily they only own 1 marina in the US, in NY. But they are expanding to Rhode Island, Florida and the Bahamas.

When thet get to Wisconsin I'm selling the boat.

Ray
rjrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 10:55   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Thanks for this string Guys, I'm feeling pretty grateful at the moment. $385/year for a 28' wide slip in 8' of water, 5 miles to the Chesapeake Bay with no bridges, 3 international airports within a 70 minute drive, and a single family house 5 blocks away. Walk to work, Library, Doctor's office, minutes from a lot of stores, and public transportation to the heart of a world-class Capitol City. Three pensions and no wife. It ain't fair, but its fine!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 11:46   #39

Boat: prout event 34
IGY is packing their coffers with Mega$ from the rich Mega Yacht crowd. Dutch St. Maarten has installed some really draconian bridge and lagoon fees. The Dutch side anchorage is vacant where last year there were literally over a hundred boats now there are none. We're back on the hook in (for now free) French St. Marten. The anchorage is beautiful and seductive as is the capitan - my wife. Am I a lucky guy?
bobelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 12:47   #40
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
the going rate in Sausalito...

...for a 50' slip is $800 per month, utilities not included. And there's a three-year long wait list you've got to make it through to get one. And chances are, once you manage to get one, you won't be able to make it out of your slip on a minus tide.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:39   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider View Post
With the economy the way it is I think you will find alot more Marinas and Clubs keeping with current fee's or even lowering them as Supply and Demand change.
Unless you live in NJ where there's a shortage of larger slips.

I'm going to paying about $120-145/month, just for the season, then winter is going to be a little more.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:57   #42

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Lightbulb No need to be rich.

Walk through the marinas.... Wilmington is the best, lots of owners could use a 0% partner to help take care of their boat. I just helped a family save their two boats from shipyard confiscation. For my efforts, I get full use of one of the vessels. I take care of it, pull full maintenance, keep it clean, dry and ready if they need it. For that I get to use it anytime. They are older and don't have much time for the boats, but love to visit from time to time. Oh, they pay all insurance, dock fees, license, taxes, etc.
So, here I am acting like I'm filthy rich...but not!!!!
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20   #43

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
No wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Thanks for this string Guys, I'm feeling pretty grateful at the moment. $385/year for a 28' wide slip in 8' of water, 5 miles to the Chesapeake Bay with no bridges, 3 international airports within a 70 minute drive, and a single family house 5 blocks away. Walk to work, Library, Doctor's office, minutes from a lot of stores, and public transportation to the heart of a world-class Capitol City. Three pensions and no wife. It ain't fair, but its fine!
Do as I did and go to Japan and find one half your age...makes for much better sailing!!
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10   #44

Lol... I'm told they make good crew too...
Though half my age would be illegal!
19 will do just fine!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:14   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post
Lol... I'm told they make good crew too...
Though half my age would be illegal!
19 will do just fine!
If I remember correctly the actual formula is half your age +5.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote