Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Dollars & Cents (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f128/)
-   -   Am I Poor or Is Everyone Else Filthy Rich (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f128/am-i-poor-or-is-everyone-else-filthy-rich-22937.html)

rjrap 19-01-2009 11:35

Am I Poor or Is Everyone Else Filthy Rich

I was looking at a 35ft sailboat in Marina Del Rey, CA on Yachtworld and one of the comments was that the slip was transferable to the new owners at $575 mo. Thats $6900 a year. And I'm moaning about my $2400 a year slip and winter storage fees for just having a place to float fiberglass in water.

Having lived in Southern Cal for most of my life I know that this is far from the most expensive. Dana Point and anywhere in San Diego is more.

And of course gas in L.A. is a doller more per gallon than here in the midwest but hey, thats not price gouging.

Maybe I should downgrade my dreams and face reality. Owning a boat is expensive. I know......"Supply and demand" and "If you build it they will come".

I should try and find a Rowboat Forum to join. They cany cost more than $75.

Just venting,
Ray

hanschristian38 19-01-2009 11:51

Sell house, sell the car, move on board and live on the anchor. You don't need no stinking slip.

waverider 19-01-2009 11:55

Well thank god I live close to an afordable Yacht Club. I pay less then 300 a year for my Yacht Club membership and I dont pay for storage as I own my mooring. It cost me less then 200 dollars to drop 600 feet off the Yacht Club tender dock.

In fact if I wanted a finger dock it would be an extra 500.00 a year, not bad for a Yacht Club. With the economy the way it is I think you will find alot more Marinas and Clubs keeping with current fee's or even lowering them as Supply and Demand change.

Tempest245 19-01-2009 11:56

Hey Ray,

If it's any consolation to you...at least you can use the boat year round !

I pay the almost same thing here in the Northeast and lose 4 or 5 months a year waiting for spring...

Celestialsailor 19-01-2009 22:45

Yes...sad but true. The excuse I get is "it's what the market will bare". What I don't like is in Ca., they tax you for the dirt under the slip. Unbelievable!

BadFish 19-01-2009 22:58

That's SoCal brother... Lifestyles of the rich and famous. Move north, or to the gulf or the east coast.

Cheers

Bill

shadow 19-01-2009 23:21

How the hell can they charge for the dirt under your slip?? How does that work!?! Talk about blatant white collar crime/mob mentality!! Yikes

TaoJones 19-01-2009 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadFish (Post 245857)
That's SoCal brother... Lifestyles of the rich and famous. Move north, or to the gulf or the east coast.

It isn't just Southern California, but all of California. The state is $42billion in the red! The day is fast approaching when the intense efforts to close the budget gap will lead to the most creative means of revenue collection you can imagine.

Sadly, for those smug persons who live somewhere with "only" a deficit of a billion or two, you'd best not get too cocky. We're all going to pay for this - it just isn't readily apparent how yet.

TaoJones

Celestialsailor 20-01-2009 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow (Post 245863)
How the hell can they charge for the dirt under your slip?? How does that work!?! Talk about blatant white collar crime/mob mentality!! Yikes

That's right...Taxed on the land under your boat, taxed on the accessed value of your boat, fuel tax, sales tax. I'm surprised they repealed the luxury tax. But then...we own boats...we're rich.

Celestialsailor 20-01-2009 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaoJones (Post 245867)
It isn't just Southern California, but all of California. The state is $42billion in the red! The day is fast approaching when the intense efforts to close the budget gap will lead to the most creative means of revenue collection you can imagine.

Sadly, for those smug persons who live somewhere with "only" a deficit of a billion or two, you'd best not get too cocky. We're all going to pay for this - it just isn't readily apparent how yet.

TaoJones

I agree...It's almost like you can hear the wick on the bomb hissing!!!

Ex-Calif 20-01-2009 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaoJones (Post 245867)

TaoJones

There is a reason my screen name is "Ex" - Calif!

It is amazing that it never occurs to the smart folks to cut spending.

TJ - You would know better than I how smokin' the california economy should have been over the last 5 years. It should be the richest state in the union.

To many Hummers for the Governator.

To keep this on topic - I pay US$90 a month for my swing mooring ;-)

Minggat 20-01-2009 03:10

Some weeks ago they were beating up the subject of the California economy on the cruisers net in La Paz. Blame seemed to land on pumping money into the support of the illegal aliens. While I am not crazy that expense, I have to say, the idea seems a little short on memory.

Don't ask me what the numbers are, but during the first go-round with the fires the word was that they would bankrupt the state.

Having said that, I have my boat in La Paz for a reason... or 3.

Martinini 20-01-2009 11:55

Check your local laws about putting in your own mooring. Sometimes it's possible and the cheapest way to go. Read them carefully and look for any loopholes!

MV 20-01-2009 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex-Calif (Post 245879)

To keep this on topic - I pay US$90 a month for my swing mooring ;-)

Where are the damn Mods when you need them???? I want to report an inflammatory statement!!

David M 20-01-2009 12:20

I don't mind paying for dirt...but the stuff under my boat is stinkin' anaerobic mud. :)