Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 23:15   #1

Advice in Buying a boat that was floated

Hi

I'm goiing to look at a Sailing Catamaran 44' 2001 Model, it was floated for about 3h with 1/2 meter of Water inside the hulls in 2003.
It was stranding (rock beach) in a Storm inside a harbor.

The boat was then taken out on the hard and left there for 2 years, the current owner both her then and replaced all the inside (engine / sail drives, wiring, all wood work, pumps &&&), the hull hat 4 holes so they toke down all the epxoy layers and rebuild the underwater line completely.
All the work has bean done by an certified Boat builder.
The vessel is back in to water now since 1.5 years.

The boat looks in great shape (pictures), and basically it is all new, Engine 300h new elec. & electronics &&&.

I will finally have a professional survey done on the vessel but before i use the 4500k$ (for Broker and Survey & hauleout) i will go and have a look at it my self and would like to ask your opinion.

Any concerns about the underwater GFK being permanent affected by that, and how could i possibly see this?

Inside the vessel as well as out side and how about the inner layers of the GFK?

Any other concerns?

Best regards
Lagoon
lagoon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I think I would start with your personal inspection. Look at the things you can and perhaps decide if you want to spend the money surveying. Things not done wrong could appear to be problems you can see, but maybe not to an untrained eye.

Things may have been done properly but maybe they were not. If you look at the boat and you don't like it you go home and forget about it. If you like it, spending the money for a good survey is the only choice you have. If the surveyor can't find anything then perhaps there is nothing wrong to find.

Discussing a boat that no one here or you has seen yet isn't very productive. Take a digital camera and take some pictures perhaps with those other members can be of help. Most surveyors these days take digitial pictures for the report. Don't hire a survey without actually attending it yourself. Things in a survey can be communicated better when you see and listen to the surveyor in person. Inform them of your concerns up front. Perhaps the specific parts of the boat can easliyl be identified so the survey can also focus on them a little more too. You stil need an overall survey for the ordinary stuff too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote