Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 15:52   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
'THE PIRATES OF SOMALIA: Inside Their Hidden World' by Jay Bahadur

THE PIRATES OF SOMALIA: Inside Their Hidden World
by Jay Bahadur
ISBN-10: 030737906X
ISBN-13: 978-0307379061

With “The Pirates of Somalia”, Jay Bahadur debunks the myths, strips away the lies and takes readers on a dramatic journey through a criminal landscape that shows no signs of ending any time soon. After talking with all those affected by piracy off Somalia, the stark reality of who he’s met on his travels sinks in: “I was struck by the chilling realization that I had shared tea with murderers.”

Excerpt ➥ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/04/bo...r=1&ref=review

Author Interview ➥
"The Pirates of Somalia," by Jay Bahadur - Author Talk - CBS News

Book Review ➥ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/bo...pagewanted=all

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 15:59   #2

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Re: THE PIRATES OF SOMALIA: Inside Their Hidden World

Even if they all were eliminated, many more are eager to take their place.
IMO, we make it easy for ships to be taken, no sufficiently armed ships to repel boarders.
Change the maritime laws, let them have what they need to defend the ship.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 16:01   #3

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

THIS IS WHAT THEY COME UP WITH FOR DEFENSE, A GOLF BALL CANON

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Odd News :: British firm finds weapon to defeat Somali pirates. It's called a golf ball...
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 16:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: THE PIRATES OF SOMALIA: Inside Their Hidden World

It'll work... once...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 17:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Not seen this posted elsewhere on CF, but it seems they are making a movie of the M. Alabama incident.
My employers are not too happy about it, first getting sued by the crew, and now the movie.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 17:32   #6

Boat: PETERSON 44
Good read put some in site into the culture.I understand the news from Libya better when they talk about clan and family.here we work hard not to be associated with a entity. There the entity is the only thing that has sustained value. For a young writer he did a good job worth reading. I won't expect the piracy problem to be done with for quite a while.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 18:07   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
Good read put some in site into the culture.I understand the news from Libya better when they talk about clan and family.here we work hard not to be associated with a entity. There the entity is the only thing that has sustained value. For a young writer he did a good job worth reading. I won't expect the piracy problem to be done with for quite a while.
How do you mean, here we work hard not to be associated with an entity. ( eh religious identity Political party identifty economic class identity, race, social background groupings , Masonic orders , guilds, unions, professional bodies. Etc.

Dave
Old 10-09-2011, 18:27   #8

Boat: PETERSON 44
I mean we put great effort not to burden a person because of their religious, political , sexual orientation or heritage. These are civil liberties that we continue to evaluate. But we put many resource into evaluating our rights and disassociating that from a label of ethnicity religion or value. It is an effort and it is work to treat people with respect even when their values differ from a perceived norm. Somalians have very little and the value placed on their heritage has significant weight. Not sure I explained that think it is a foreign ideology.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:40   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
I mean we put great effort not to burden a person because of their religious, political , sexual orientation or heritage. These are civil liberties that we continue to evaluate. But we put many resource into evaluating our rights and disassociating that from a label of ethnicity religion or value. It is an effort and it is work to treat people with respect even when their values differ from a perceived norm. Somalians have very little and the value placed on their heritage has significant weight. Not sure I explained that think it is a foreign ideology.
I don't think there's much difference between " us" and so called them ( Somalis, etc mainly wealth that's all. So called tribalism is often used to explain the " actions of savages" so as to differentiate them from " civilised people ". Much harm and evil was perpetuated on such " savages" on the back of such debased ideology.

Events in Somalia or Libya, while it may be convenient to ascribe them to " tribalism" are more to do with Western over simplifications. These societies and such upheavals are a complex response to often great social problems. I suspect all societies including our own might react so.

Dave
Old 12-09-2011, 18:27   #10

Re: 'THE PIRATES OF SOMALIA: Inside Their Hidden World' by Jay Bahadur

Reports just in have Pirates in the Gulf of Aden Killing the Skipper of French catamaran - his wife was abducted - and finally released after Forces were able to hunt down the pirates.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 05:15   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

French catamaran skipper is killed, widow rescued after pirate attack off Somali coast:
Here ➥ Gulf Times ? Qatar?s top-selling English daily newspaper - French catamaran skipper is killed, widow rescued after pirate attack off Somali coast

And ➥ http://www.mysinchew.com/node/63465

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 05:26   #12
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
THE PIRATES OF SOMALIA: Inside Their Hidden World
by Jay Bahadur

After talking with all those affected by piracy off Somalia, the stark reality of who he’s met on his travels sinks in: “I was struck by the chilling realization that I had shared tea with murderers.”
Maybe not PC; but in my view murdering thieves give up their "rights" and I don't really care what happens to them! And I don't care about what the murdering thieves use as their justification for their actions!

As long as the rewards outweigh the risks of being a pirate the problem will continue!
Old 13-09-2011, 13:17   #13

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Seems to me, if they can fire a golf ball out of a cannon, it should be just about right for the 30mm HE round. Which one would be the most effective?
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 14:53   #14

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

Piracy is not going to go away and unless it is made a lot more hazardous for the pirates will spread to other areas than the Indian Ocean - it is too profitable. Last year my son (officer in the RN) was on a ship that captured 6 Somali pirates. They were 600 miles from land and had insufficient food / water or fuel to get back. They HAD to hijack a ship to survive. They had failed in an attempt and that was when they got caught. The youngest was about 16 years old but each pirate was promised $100,000 if they managed to bring a ship back to Somalia. That is a phenomenal amount of money in Somalia and is why the supply of pirates is not going to dry up any time soon.

Pirates captured by Russian or Chinese warships are never captured just 'disappeared' - at least according to the rumours going around.

BTW - many commercial ship owners place armed 'sea marshals' on board ships transitting risky areas. No ships carrying armed marshals has been successfully hi-jacked - wonder why.
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Somalia, somalia