Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2012, 16:28   #1

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Dozier's Waterway Guide Southern 2012

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this book, or any of the Waterway Guides, that can give me a heads up on this book. I am a good distance from any major bookstore like Barnes Nobel, and before I order one online, would like to hear opinions.

What I am looking for is a book for cruising the southern florida area from Tampa to Bahamas, with good photos of anchorages, chart information, bouy markers, marinas, safe anchorages, channels, hazards, inset charts, etc. The Dozier's Waterway Guide Southern 2012 seems to have all this information reflected in the advertisments.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 16:31   #2

You can get the 2012 Edition for $11 right now at West Marine.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 16:33   #3

Re: Dozier's Waterway Guide Southern 2012

Got a west marine just up the street from me. Thanks, I will see if they can get it for me. Their stock in stoore is seriously lacking. But Thanks!
Old 28-11-2012, 06:03   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

The 2013 is the current issue. (I work for them, but I did use them extensively while cruising before I worked for them. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions)
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 11:27   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Black Oak, I too worked for Waterway Guide and my Wife was the Editor of the Southern and Bahamas 2012 regardless of what it says in the books. The Southern covers all of Florida and the Gulf coast to Brownsvuille but not the Bahamas. So there is a lot of information you won't need. For the Bahamas, you will need the Bahamas Edition. The Southern Edition is light on anchorage information and no anchorage charts. The Bahamas has slightly more anchorage information since that is your primary choice. I would highly recommend the Explorer Chartbook for the Bahamas. It is primarily charts, and the best you will find, but includes most of the cruising information you are seeking. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 12:15   #6

Thanks! I was able to get West Marine to get me one Waterway Guide Southern 2013 from one of their other stores, I wont have to hitchhike to Ocala for the barnes nobel there, that is good news. I will check on the Explorer Chartbook tomorrow at West Marine, as I know they have the Waterway for the Bahamas already. Just need a good cruising guide for florida places to duck into if the need arises, and spots to sling an anchor to spend the night...especially if its a freebie. I aint cheap, just frugle.
Old 05-12-2012, 14:45   #7

Well, I got my Waterway Guide 2013 today, and it is packed with alot of good info. The only thing I would add would be anchorages, with little red anchors. Other than that, its perfect for what I need.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:29   #8

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Great...hope you find it very helpful. Skipper Bob Anchorages is our companion guide covering anchorages more comprehensively...there are also several other resources. Hope you have a great time...this is a wonderful cruising area with many interesting places and people. Happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:53   #9

Dozier's guides are the best for finding fascinating things to do ashore! Another very detailed guide to free anchorages, including depth-annotated GPS tracks in and out, is » ICW AnchorGuides OnTheWaterChartGuides
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:38   #10

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

The Waterway Guides are excellent and we use them extensively. We also like Claiborne Young's cruising guides as well. His covers the southeast US coast and keys. Good info on navigation, as well as shoreside info and history. He also has a website - cruisersnet.net - with updates. He doesn't have a guide for the Bahamas, but they are covered well by others.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote