Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2011, 02:39   #1

Wind Speed & Direction System

I currently have an ST 60 system which has let me down 3 times now. I am thinking of changing to the Tacktick T033. I sail a 37' Prout Cat.

Please can anyone give a view on reliability of same or can they recommend an alternative?

Thank you
Ian
ianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 00:59   #2

Boat: Freydis 49
Re: Wind speed & direction system

I installed tacktick on my yacht when I purchased it mainly so I didnt have to run a wire through the mast.
When the system did work there was a noticeable delay in the display with regard to wind shift. The system regularly cut out for no apparent reason, this may be because the yacht was 52ft with a tall mast and they only recommend up to about 35ft I think, the seller omitted to make me aware of that.
I put up with the numbers blanking out routinely usually when navigating an unfamiliar passage or reef then one day it blanked permanently while the spinnaker was having trouble staying filled, the mast head transducer had fallen off. When I brought it to the attention of Tacktick that there was no screw or even glue attaching the wand to the base they said the new ones had been fitted with a screw but I still had to pay for a replacement (not cheap)
The new masthead sensors have an improved signal beam so should work better I was told, it still blanked out and now took the depth reading with it.
I also found out recently while sailing in rain squalls that the wind display quits completely for extended periods, I sent the new masthead sensor back to be checked and Tacktick returned it saying it was fine and that they do not work in heavy rain, thats reassuring isnt it.
Anyway I had the mast out recently and fitted a wired wind instrument and now in the process of fitting a different depth instrument also so I wouldnt be recommending tacktick.

Good luck, Niv.
Old 30-03-2011, 02:19   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I've used the ST60 system for 7+ years. Other than wind driven rain getting past the o-ring and into the mast mounting in a 50+knot blow, it's been reliable. I suppose one should service that o-ring periodically.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 13:26   #4

Boat: Colvic Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianca View Post
I currently have an ST 60 system which has let me down 3 times now. I am thinking of changing to the Tacktick T033. I sail a 37' Prout Cat.
Please can anyone give a view on reliability of same or can they recommend an alternative?
Thank you
Ian
Hi Ian
Looked at the Tacktick system a few years ago and the ST60, finally went for the cheapest and bought a NASA 2 wind (currently £135), it's as basic as you can get BUT it works fine, (well mine has for the past 4 years) and I sail all year round.

I could have bought 5 NASA units for the single price of the tacktick, like most boat things there are good /bad reports about NASA equipment but I have to speak as I find.

On many wind direction systems the weakest item is the rotating cup which the NASA also has, replacement NASA cups (currently about £12) so I mounted mine of a DIY 5' high mast mounted off my pushpit, so I can 'when necassary' get at it and replace it in 10 minutes.

Interestingly we tested the NASA unit at sea last year against another yacht with the same unit mounted 'ontop' of the 35' mast and the readings were about 0.75 mph wind differance!

Hope this might help.
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:26   #5

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Wind Speed & Direction System

I have been using a Tacktick wind instrument for 3 years. It performed flawlessly for the first 2 years. This year the wind speed/direction signal drops out without warning every once in a while. The battery charge shows full but I wired to the 12 volt system on board anyway thinking it might help. The signal still drops out from time to time. Annoying to say the least!! My masthead is 55 feet above the water. Is that the issue?
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 21:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Wind Speed & Direction System

We've been using a Nexus wireless system for about 6 months. Flawless, so far. 1/2 the price of Tacktick.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote