Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 10:49   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
JB-Get it together

This last weekend, my Groco MSD developed a leak between the pump assembly and the attached flange that abuts to the joker valve housing. The head had very little pressure and was spraying nasty effluent on the floor. It was an obvious stress crack caused by time and design. Since replacing the head wasn't an option because of our immediate plans, I purchased some JB Water Weld. After removing the pump assembly, I cleaned the crack with soap and water, allowed it to dry, and then slightly ground out the crack with my Dremel. I then sanded the area with 80 grit and cleaned several times with Acetone. I mixed the two part epoxy until it reached an even color, rolled it into a noodle shape and pressed it into the crack. I then sealed the inside of the flange that connects to the joker valve and reassembled everything. When I reattached the pump housing to the joker valve ring, the flange on the pump body reset into its original position creating a small void between the putty and the pump housing. I rolled another noodle of putty and sealed it again. The JB Weld kicks in about 15 minutes and cures hard in about an hour. There was perfect adhesion to the polycarbonate surface and the head has performed flawlessly since the repair. I highly recommend this product as a "must have" in your tool kit along with the highly useful JB Weld for Metal. One further note: when doing a repair that requires the mating of two surfaces, the following video is also very helpful. Good luck and good sailing. James Brown - Get It Together Apollo 1968 - YouTube
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:57   #2

Re: JB-Get it together

Yeah, I used another JB product to repair a cracked generator pulley in a pinch. It actually worked for quite a while! However, dont use it on a heat exchanger.... it'll only last about 5 mins!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote