Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:56   #76

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425
Re: West Marine Getting Worse

Yes WM is increasingly a corporate giant that relies on its buying power to hold stock in central locations. Service is something that costs the company money, so it is one of the areas that is trimmed to increase the profit line.

It is the way of our system, corporate capitalism. Should be no surprise.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:12   #77
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i love how allayez bash and smash large corporate monsanto yet defend the likes of worst marine....worst is why ace is the place, my friends...lol...

wm ceased to be a viable alternative to me in 1990 when their ads all said they will put mom and pop stores out of business....low prices for one and all---rodl...who were they fooling..corporations are corporations.

i love downwind marina and other online folks---so it takes me a month for delivery. i do not have to suffer the wm store.

they did take some fenders back in trade fro others---that was decent of em.
and they did help a friend who had a nav light torn off in huge boxy seas in a tboomer of severe sort..lol yay noaa--off ft myers beach in 2009...lol that was fun..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

. Hours were reduced for decently paid long time, experienced (sometimes older) and knowledgeable employees in favour of working school age kids with less knowledge and experience part-time because they could be paid less. The law prohibited hiring these youngsters for any other purpose than stocking, but were frequently used to work the sales floor instead of the older, more experienced and knowledgeable employees.
:
Wait!! As the new health care bill kicks in, more and more firms will cut hours of staff to avoid paying for health care.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:02   #79

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Wait!! As the new health care bill kicks in, more and more firms will cut hours of staff to avoid paying for health care.
That's bogus. Retail businesses have been doing that since the 60's. high school I worked PT in a chain grocery store. Union won a new contract giving full timers more benefits and more vacation time, within 6 months most were gone and part timers were pushed to work maximum hours as PT employees. Sears did that in the early seventies. Go to any large retail store and find out how many full time employees there are. Most business with over 50 employees already give health insurance, and as more people are enrolled the risk is spread over a larger number reducing costs. Already states are setting rates for individuals that are way below what they currently are for individuals.

I have to much free time today.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:03   #80

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Love west marine, 700pm friday night its 90degrees out and our AC pump fries, whos got one? West Marine key largo!! !!! Bought the extended warranty too it has paid for itself in the past! Buy your crap online save 20% than cry when it breaks. Holy crap 3 more posts till i hit 1000!!!!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04   #81

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Two more posts!!! Lolol
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:52   #82

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I thought it was Forum policy under "Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes" not to bash specific businesses? All the respondants sporting their Che Guevera "red berets" who have little or no concept of market economics and/or capitalism take shots at West Marine for establishing a retail plan aimed at the "walk in" buyer which must take into account their total fixed and variable expenses nationwide when establishing a pricing policy. How can a "brick and mortar" operation compete in pricing with an online retailer operating out of a warehouse with limited employees and less expense? Are you willing to buy exclusively online and never have the option of a last minute purchase where waiting a week is not an option? If price is your only consideration, then you will never have the convenience of a store that you can touch, feel and operate (if needed) the product you wish to buy. There is a price for these advantages. And, in regard to warranty claims, I have never found WM negligent in their part of the deal. There is a strong current of class warfare that is evident in this discussion where the evil entrepreneur who seeks to make a fair profit on his investment is viewed as someone whose goal in life is to take advantage and rob the common man for his selfish personal gain. If that is your attitude, be prepared to see the destruction of cities across the country with empty storefronts and abandoned shopping malls because he with the cheapest price is king and small business, as we knew it, will be lost forever. Vive la Revolucion! Vive la Revolucion! Vive la Revolucion!
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 13:06   #83

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Must be time for the semi-annual bash West Marine thread. Some people can't seem to get the proper interval.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 13:17   #84

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Whew! A lot of people here who have had a bad experience. It's probably best that they stay away from West Marine. It will leave the aisles more clear for the rest of us who have had a more productive experience. I guess that the unhappy ones are hoping that there is a uniform, standard employee so that there will be no variation, from store to store. I've shopped at quite a few WM stores, from Puget Sound to San Diego. Most of the time, they have what I need, at a fair price. Quite often, there's someone in the store who has actually used the item on their own boat and can explain the differences between two similar brands. Most of the folks there are experienced, in varying degrees, with boats of different types, dinghies, multihulls, powerboats, kayaks, you name it. Someone who has a bad experience, then goes on to characterize an entire corporate structure, is probably going to remain unhappy no matter who they encounter. Better they steer clear of folks I go to when I need products, support and advice.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 13:34   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I thought it was Forum policy under "Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes" not to bash specific businesses? All the respondants sporting their Che Guevera "red berets" who have little or no concept of market economics and/or capitalism take shots at West Marine for establishing a retail plan aimed at the "walk in" buyer which must take into account their total fixed and variable expenses nationwide when establishing a pricing policy. How can a "brick and mortar" operation compete in pricing with an online retailer operating out of a warehouse with limited employees and less expense? Are you willing to buy exclusively online and never have the option of a last minute purchase where waiting a week is not an option? If price is your only consideration, then you will never have the convenience of a store that you can touch, feel and operate (if needed) the product you wish to buy. There is a price for these advantages. And, in regard to warranty claims, I have never found WM negligent in their part of the deal. There is a strong current of class warfare that is evident in this discussion where the evil entrepreneur who seeks to make a fair profit on his investment is viewed as someone whose goal in life is to take advantage and rob the common man for his selfish personal gain. If that is your attitude, be prepared to see the destruction of cities across the country with empty storefronts and abandoned shopping malls because he with the cheapest price is king and small business, as we knew it, will be lost forever. Vive la Revolucion! Vive la Revolucion! Vive la Revolucion!
Pure Bunk! I'm crying crocodile tears for West Marine and corporate America. You speak as if consumers and the way they view products, companies and their good or bad service doesn't count. Yes, West Marine may disappear, sooner than later. But it's the nature of capitalism their void will be filled. Maybe by an on line company like Defender who recognizes there is profit to be made in brick and mortar stores too. Companies that pay slave wages and provide no benefits don't deserve to survive. There is a too large contingent in the sailing community with whom price doesn't matter. It is the 'deep pocket' sailors who are destroying the sailing environment for the sailor with middle class resources. Even moreso for those with less. Nay, there'll be no sympathy from me for the corporate devils.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 14:10   #86

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I'll throw my 2 cents in....There is a possibility there are people at West Marine that know what they are talking about. Certainly not all of them and those that do can't possibly be experts on every item....so I do cut them a little slack.

My experience has shown that few WM employees have the same experience and knowledge as long term cruisers or people who work on the water for a living. A few have been to good training seminars and are up on some of the electronics and how the work, install and interface. But only a few out there.

WM employees are really no different than the average home improvement store or hardware store these days.

During my last 2000 mile ICW trip I visited quite a few WMs ....because as a traveler...much like any franchise/chain...you kinda know what to expect when you get there....or at least should.

Some items are OK on pricing and some aren't. If you have a Port Supply card..some items they have are really good deals but what I have found...marine pricing is all over the map and 5 different marine suppliers will have sometimes a 100% difference in item pricing...so SHOP AROUND IF YOU CAN!!!!

The whole marine industry has suffered this last decade in one way or another....not sure where it will wind up but I'm guessing WM will survive.

But as far as associate knowledge goes..it's really hit of miss and I would say have a VERY good idea of what you need or want before you go there because I have heard as many people steered in a way I'm sure wasn't near the best as ones steered towards where they probably need to be (notice how I didn't say right or wrong way?)
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 14:58   #87

Boat: Skookum 53'

I love our local Chandler, he serves coffee or hot chocolate, and fresh doughnuts if you get there early enough in the morning. Plus there are a couple of chairs for the old farts to sit on and tell fishing stories. Most of the crew is knowledgeable, and I know them all by first name.
Old 03-08-2013, 15:00   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I love our local Chandler, he serves coffee or hot chocolate, and fresh doughnuts if you get there early enough in the morning. Plus there are a couple of chairs for the old farts to sit on and tell fishing stories. Most of the crew is knowledgeable, and I know them all by first name.
Would your local chandler be West Marine?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 15:05   #89

Nope, Kachemak Gear Shed, AKA Redden Net.
Old 03-08-2013, 15:06   #90

They have Yachty stuff too.

Tags
marine