Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2010, 19:18   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Standard Horizon Bum Out

I ordered a S.H. HX850 hand held in March from Boaters World. The radio came a week later, I turned it on the screen blinked on and then nothing: dead. I checked the battery voltage: topped up, I think 7.4 Volts. Now at this point I would have mailed the thing back to Boaters World for a refund but there is a stop sign on the inside of the radio box that says STOP we are here to help, please call Standard Horizon if there is a problem with the radio, or something of that nature

So I call SH and get a brusque tech who says, "It's probably the battery", I told him I had tested the battery and gave him the voltage, he says "well we'll send you a new battery." A week goes buy battery shows up, no difference...I could have forecast that outcome but whatever.

2nd call - I explain the problem the tech tells me to send everything in. Cool, I think now I am on the right track. I mail everything in, it starts pushing three weeks I call: nothing, I email: nothing, I call again and get a tech I tell him I am waiting for my radio he says "Oh yeah"... I think oh dear. I ask him what was wrong and he tells me it they replaced an IC. I get my radio back in the mail a week later, now we are pushing a month and a half I haven't had this thing. I get the radio in the mail: Nothing dead same F&*ing problem. Mind you the thing didn't even turn on so either it died in the mail or more likely they never fixed it to begin with.

3rd call. I tell SH I am pretty upset about this and that I want a new radio not this one that clearly does not work. They tell me fine no problem new radio no big deal. You know where this is going. Again 2 1/2 weeks go by and I start wondering what the hell is going on I call them and ask where on earth my new radio is. The tech says "Oh yeah we just repaired it and mailed it out to you." This was followed by a stewing silence. I told him I wanted a new radio, he told me to take it up with customer service.

So basically here's what I get. I get to pay full price for a radio and then shipping twice. Then I get to wait 4 months to get it. Then when I do get it I am essentially getting a refurbished radio that I absolutely can put no stock in whatsoever. Sweet.

Am I being an entitled jerk about this or does this seem a little egregious?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 19:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Nope. You should get what you paid for. A new radio. Glad you posted. Some companies seem to think that the definition of "service" in "customer service" is: what a bull does to a cow.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 19:26   #3

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Egregious. That is terrible customer service. Good customer service would have been to comp you a new radio and refurb the old one and sell it to someone else at a discount. If I were you I would have simply returned it to the place of purchase and let them deal with the shipping and "customer service" people.

At least then you would have your money or a new radio!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 19:35   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Another good reason to by from West Marine--when my Standard Horizon crapped out after 6 months they took it back, no questions asked.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 19:41   #5

I should have just sent it back to boaters world. What a pain. I just feel like when you are refitting a boat ever step you take forward leads to two steps that you have to take back.
Old 02-06-2010, 17:01   #6

So I think it is only fair to mention that after I posted this thread I was contacted by a higher up at Standard Horizon and was offered a new radio. I will update this thread when I have a new working radio etc. I know Standard Horizon is an industry leader and that you don't get to that level without doing some things right. I just think I was the exception in this instance, still stinks to be the exception.
Old 24-06-2010, 12:28   #7

Boat: 1984 CS 36
I had an issue with a SH product, and found their customer service to be over the top, fantastic - the rep who I contacted actually called ME when they got the product just to let me know that they'd fixed it and shipped it back (the same day) via UPS red. I couldn't get over it and now recommend them to everyone.

I'm not sure if your experience or mine was the exception, but thought it was worth sharing.
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 12:37   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Another reason to buy from West Marine. Save the receipt and they will always replace or refund the cost of the product. Boaters World here is closed. Also, Defender will do the same, but you pay for shipping. Glad to hear it is turning out OK for you.
Old 24-06-2010, 13:27   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
All my experience with SH has been just the opposite; courteous, knowlegeable and over-the-top helpful. I'm sorry you had this kind of treatment, but it sounds like two different worlds.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 22:54   #10

Yup I almost forgot to follow up on this. After all of my wining on CF one of the higher ups PMd me and said he would get me a new HX851 for my troubles. I can't say that the exchange went smoothly but I am the proud new owner of an HX 851. I do understand that this was probably just a freak occurrence. You don't get to be a huge company like SH by selling crap. They really do need to get coordinated in the repairs dept though. I for one will never order anything on line again. The shipping fees if you have to exchange are totally prohibitive.
Old 25-06-2010, 10:37   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
... Am I being an entitled jerk about this or does this seem a little egregious?
Perhaps a little of both.
Glad it worked out, though.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 14:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Perhaps a little of both.
Glad it worked out, though.
Oh c'mon I was pitching underhand .