Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2016, 04:23   #16

Boat: Dufour 35 1973
Re: Pelagic Auto Pilots?

It's especially the MOB-feature what made me decide for the Bcalmxp as I sail solo a lot. And of course the fact that I can use my phone as remote control. The pilot even uses the phones GPS for waypoint steering.
I never knew that Bosch manufactured AP's. Is that the system they're using in the Tesla car?
Vipe6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 08:08   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just caught this thread. I've got a 15-ton double-ender, tiller-driven transom-hung rudder. Our principle self-steerer is an Aries windvane, but I also use a Raymarine X5-GP tiller pilot which was the strongest one I could find at the time. It's worked well so far, but is far under-rated for my boat. Pelagic looks a lot better.

I've quickly reviewed the website, and it seems to suggest the Pelagic actuator is compatible with my other pilots, but I can't get affirmation that it would work with my Raymarine installation (control head, flux gate compass, connectors, wiring, etc.). It would be too sweet if I could swap out the Ray actuator (which will die eventually) with this more robust actuator.

Does anyone know if this is possible?
Old 30-01-2016, 10:45   #18

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Just caught this thread. I've got a 15-ton double-ender, tiller-driven transom-hung rudder. Our principle self-steerer is an Aries windvane, but I also use a Raymarine X5-GP tiller pilot which was the strongest one I could find at the time. It's worked well so far, but is far under-rated for my boat. Pelagic looks a lot better.

I've quickly reviewed the website, and it seems to suggest the Pelagic actuator is compatible with my other pilots, but I can't get affirmation that it would work with my Raymarine installation (control head, flux gate compass, connectors, wiring, etc.). It would be too sweet if I could swap out the Ray actuator (which will die eventually) with this more robust actuator.

You can use all your current equipment, but the x5 does not have the power to drive a larger linear drive. If you feed the signal to an H-bridge motor controller used for robotics, it'll take the output from the Raymarine and output at a higher amperage to run the linear drive.
Old 30-01-2016, 12:22   #19

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Call Pelagic (Brian). He will know. I suspect you'd be fine swapping out the GP for the Pelagic drive unit.

Another alternative is to swap out the GP Motor, here is the motor that was in mine, maybe you can find one:Portescap 35NT 2R32 228P-20. 35NT2R32 | portescap.com
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 13:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
You can use all your current equipment, but the x5 does not have the power to drive a larger linear drive. If you feed the signal to an H-bridge motor controller used for robotics, it'll take the output from the Raymarine and output at a higher amperage to run the linear drive.
You will need the HV model

Robot Power Products - Simple-H & HV - H-bridge
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 14:30   #21

Boat: Cal 2-27

A friend in our marina is planning on installing a Pelagic system aboard his boat. While I have no first hand experience with one, he does and sings its praises regularly.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 15:13   #22

Boat: Orca 38
Pelagic Auto Pilots?

Well I did it, I bit the bullet and bought a brand spanking new Monitor wind vane at the Seattle boat show today. Boat show pricing knocked 750 bucks off the price (yay), and that'll just about pay for the Pelagic AP.

While speaking with Mike from Scanmar, the Pelagic autopilot system came up. According to Mike, president at Scanmar, they know Brian from Pelagic autopilots very well. They have been working together a lot and Mike had nothing but positive things to say both about Brian, and his equipment. So I'm pretty much sold on them now, and will be purchasing one as soon as I get the monitor mounted.

It won't have that MOB feature though, and I admit that as a single handed sailor, I really like the idea of proximity switches putting the tiller hard over.

Yes, the Bosch autopilot people are the folks that are taking Tesla to the lead in autonomous cars. In fact, one of the test platforms for the Pelagic autopilot was a boat belonging to someone in the Bosch autopilot organization. So there some tie in there it would appear.
Old 30-01-2016, 17:27   #23

Boat: Baba 40

Thanks for the input so far, folks. Rhetorically, I'm curious why so many "stand alone" systems require swapping out parts to make them work (better). I realize with so many boats out there for manufacturers to design around there's always going to be some give-and-take, but sheesh...
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 21:30   #24

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Well I did it, I bit the bullet and bought a brand spanking new Monitor wind vane at the Seattle boat show today. Boat show pricing knocked 750 bucks off the price (yay), and that'll just about pay for the Pelagic AP.

While speaking with Mike from Scanmar, the Pelagic autopilot system came up. According to Mike, president at Scanmar, they know Brian from Pelagic autopilots very well. They have been working together a lot and Mike had nothing but positive things to say both about Brian, and his equipment. So I'm pretty much sold on them now, and will be purchasing one as soon as I get the monitor mounted.

It won't have that MOB feature though, and I admit that as a single handed sailor, I really like the idea of proximity switches putting the tiller hard over.

Yes, the Bosch autopilot people are the folks that are taking Tesla to the lead in autonomous cars. In fact, one of the test platforms for the Pelagic autopilot was a boat belonging to someone in the Bosch autopilot organization. So there some tie in there it would appear.
Well, congrats on the Monitor. Folks speak highly of the them and I'm sure it will serve you well.

I exchanged some MOB thoughts with Brian a few months back, so I know he's at least thinking about it & will likely come up with something. Ideas kicking around include head to wind or auto-tack upon separation automatically. Technical problems with the fob battery winding down could cause problems with this, so some low battery circuitry would be needed. Another concept was to have an AIS/MOB device send the personal distress signal to the AIS/Chartplotter & the autopilot would turn the vessel to head back towards your GPS location. Seems like a bit too much to go perfectly to be practical. On the other hand, head to wind or tack functionality likely means the boat will be moving faster than you would ever be able to swim to get back aboard. MOB feature may provide a false sense of security. Grip & balance is foremost, especially forward of the mast.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 07:04   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks for the insight folks. I'll have to do some more research and contact the company. As I say, our current tiller pilot has worked just fine so far, but I don't ask much of it. I much prefer the vane, but it would be nice to have a robust secondary like the Pelagic.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 31-01-2016, 08:04   #26

Boat: Dufour 35 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post

Good luck with your purchase. Actually a good plan to connect your pilot actuator to your vane. I burned the motor on my Autohelm drive sailing the North Sea in heavy weather. Wouldn't have happened if I had had that setup. Secretky I was a bit pleased to have burned the motor as it gave me an axcuse for upgrading to the Jefa drive which is much more quiet.
Vipe6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 19:57   #27

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
Grip & balance is foremost, especially forward of the mast.

Couldn't agree more about the primary function in life at that point being all about grip and balance. Fear and hanging on for dear life works too. Or so I've heard!
Old 02-10-2022, 14:23   #28

Pelagic eh?

Bit early but pulled the trigger on the basic unit & 2 remotes as it 'll hold it's value helluva lot better than cash!
Mike Scheck, the owner, over the top helpful. Told him why I buy today, (Sept 27 with Putin at all....) & bailing out of banksters reach..
And the man agreed to delay start of the warrantee until it's installed.
Where do you get that eh?

I've a Steelie, a Swain, origami in steel built like the proverbial. 36', 10 tonne sloop
Built the wind vane, per Brent Swain's book.( Simple, solid) that drives a trim tab off a transom hung rudder
Linkage down to midships stb'd side to a helm mounted over the nav station so once tucked down, should be 'nother cuppa tea shall we?'

Mike says it'll produce up to 50 lbs. Great
And he says the whole setup is water proof. Great.
But running the trim tab via the linkage mentioned
I'd be surprised if need much more than 5%, max 10% of that 50 lbs it is capable of in the worst of it.
And mounted below we can cuddle up at night.

They ship mundy!
Can't wait.
Rockrothwell is offline   Reply With Quote