Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2008, 10:34   #1
Han

Boat: Orca 38
Monitor Windvane - 25 years old

Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing a used Monitor windvane for ~1200$. I sent the serial number to Scanmar and they told me it was sold in 1983 which is before many of their design upgrades were implemented. The current owner says it was rebuilt 11 years ago and that it was in use until very recently and works fine. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences with Monitors that are this old. Do they stand the test of time well, or should I write it off? Also what would you consider a fair price for a vane of this vintage?

Thanks!
Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 11:06   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
There are reasons for the changes with Monitor. I use to bend pipe for their windvanes. Really nice people, and I am sure you can get more information out of them on upgrades, and all potential problems of that certain model. It might be better to go new than put money into the unknown. Talk with them, and you will figure out the right decision. Monitor also sells other brands, so dog deep with them for information..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 00:42   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I had a pre-Monitor...That's right, Scanmar did not invent it. Mine was a 304 stainless rather than the 316 they sell now. I rebuilt it myself (no big deal). I visited them and of course wanted me to buy a new one. Although it had been welded dozens of times, it steered the boat flawlessly.
I am told the original inventor copied it from the Aries. I have had both the Aries and Monitor now and feel the Aries ages better. IMHO
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windvane