Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 18:57   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Hydrogenerator for power

The youtube videos "Sailing Ruby Rose" speak very highly of their DuoGen with the caveat that it is a bit of a pain to convert from wind to hydro and back.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 22:14   #47

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Interesting topic, any experience with DuoGen (or something similar, combined wind AND water setup)? Am I reading correctly that the Duogen can operate in dual mode as well, using both wind and water at the same time, theoretically capable of 30(!)Amps?

I know, the world says solar everywhere, but c'mon, not everybody is sailing the Med/tropics, give polar sailors a chance...
I'm a huge solar fan it in my opinion its the number one choice. In saying that it has limits. I just did a very long passage with very little sun, my 480w of panels were next to useless. One leg was 13days, the batteries get smashed. Im now in the market for hydrogenerator.
Waiting for Hamilton Ferris to get back to me, are they still operating? as ive had no reply.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 22:14   #48

Boat: Luffe 45

Wckoek

The W&S600 is definitely producing more power then the W&S 300 - I use the 600 with the bigger propeller - at 6 knots I'm ending up at maybe 450 watts. It depends on the cable length and the size of the cable which is going to the battery. On Lifgun the hierarchy is as follows (during cruising) : 1. Watt and Sea - 2. Generator - 3. Engine. Imagine opposite the solar you'll produce 7/24. In my case I put the hydro down when leaving the port and take it up at arriving....
I used it now for over 15K nautical miles and beside some problems with the support and the cable plug (which was placed on a stupid spot from my side) no serious issues happened. In the meantime I reinforced the hinges and the support (out of carbon fiber). Since then everything works fine. The black bock stops loading the battery as soon as she is fully loaded - the black box is producing quite a bit of heat...so don't mount her in a narrow spot....
lifgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 22:23   #49

Boat: Catalina 470

I'd love one of these but they are not cheap!!!!!!! I see Will at hydrovane sells them now and he has a cool bracket that enables it to be mounted on the hydrovane shaft.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 22:58   #50

The duogen product description is a bit confusing then, someone without experience coud read that it has "water, wind and dual" modes... It is safer than to mount a separate wind and a hydro-generator...

Indeed there are long passages where solar is as good as useless, I recall maybe 2 sunny days in a week when I was in scotland last time.
Old 18-12-2017, 16:02   #51

Boat: Grampian, 23

This thread is a bit old but I'll revive it.

Permanent Magnet Alternator Wind Blue Low Wind

I'm just wondering if this can be used for the generator on a hydro electric system? Could use the prop off an outboard for the blade. Or possibly fabricate them from a non corrosive sheet metal. Aluminum might be too thin and unsure about plastic. Could potentially encase it in a pvc tube or simply get pvc sheeting and bend them to specific forms for casing. Basically an attempt to make a homemade W&S system.

Wondering what speed this would kick in at. Says can produce 12v at 6 mile winds or 130rpm.
Tidjian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator