Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2012, 12:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau 411 celebration- 41'7"
Holding Tank Blockage

Is it just us or has anyone else had problems using Aqua Soft toilet paper. We started to use this product recently but all it did was block the holding tanks. They state on the packaging that it's "Quickly dissolving toilet paper" but this is not our experence. Anyone else had simular problems with this brand?
Sacrebleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 19:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Holding Tank Blockage

I would suspect that your hose conecting the toilet to the tank has a build up inside. That may have narrowed the opening so much it is easy to clog.
Old 21-05-2012, 20:37   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I would suspect that your hose conecting the toilet to the tank has a build up inside. That may have narrowed the opening so much it is easy to clog.
How old is the boat?

You could add holding tank enzymes to help break the TP down. But one should not keep a holding for more then 48 hours if one can help it. The odors will start to impregnate the plastics.
Old 22-05-2012, 00:07   #4

The holding tanks and all pipe work were only installed last year. What we found once we managed to unblock the pipe work is that the toilet paper had not broken down or dissolved into small pieces of paper as it was meant too.
Old 22-05-2012, 00:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I had a similar problem. Used the fancy marine toilet paper and found it blocked the Lavac.

My solution was to buy the cheapest single ply toilet paper from my local supermarket (Aussie Coles is the only one now).

Still not perfect but gets the job done.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 06:30   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Practical Sailor magazine did a test of toilet papers for marine systems. As I recall they back up what Boracay said. Single ply paper breaks down better than double ply and some brands of cheap regular toilet paper break down as fast as the marine papers.
Old 22-05-2012, 06:38   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What kind of toilet do you have? Some types break the paper up more as it passes through the pump than others do. For example the Lavac with it's giant diaphram pump can pass large objects but a Jabsco electric grinds things up pretty good before sending it to the tank.
Another thing that might be adding to your problem would be short flushing. You need to flush long enough for the paper to clear the hose and get into the tank. If you don't flush long enough to clear the hose the paper and poop can set up and block the hose next time you flush.
Peggie Hall wrote a very good book on marine sanitation called "Get Rid of Boat Odors".
Old 22-05-2012, 06:59   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use absolutely NO paper in toilet. causes problems even if it is the melts in your hand and on your butt kind.....all goes into a plastic bag for dispo later in a proper disposal bin.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 06:59   #9

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

We just use regular ole Scott single ply tissue. It's waaaaaaay cheaper than marine or RV tp and works just fine. No clogs so far, knock wood....

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 07:38   #10

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

I would avoid discarding any and all toilet paper in a marine toilet, even tissue designed for it. Here is the reason: In order for the tissue to properly degrade, there needs to be an adequate amount of moisture. Sometimes, there simply isn't enough moisture (liquid to solid ratio) in the holding tank or sanitary lines to properly break it down. I have seen others have this problem numerous times, and "fixing" it is not fun.

I have a box of ziplock bags with me when we cruise. All toilet tissue gets placed in it and it is discarded in the trash. I have been able to avoid all obstructions since I began doing this.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 00:19   #11

The toilet is a standard hand pump action Jabsco. And yes, we do enough pump action's to clear all pipes. I will give the single ply tp a try, and if that does not work then I guess we will do what Zeehag and Astral Blue are saying, don't flush it but bag it. Thanks everyone.
Old 23-05-2012, 14:17   #12

I used Charmin Extra Strength exclusively for about 6 years and never had a problem (usually with 4 women on board). Just make sure to flush out the tank once or twice with sea water after emptying it, plus once with fresh water. Add some chemicals and a gallon of fresh water to prevent anything that survived the flushes from hardening between voyages.

I had one nasty clog in all those years--before I started the tank cleansing routine.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 15:10   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's interesting that some people have no trouble with toilet discharge clogs and others go to the extreme of bagging their used TP. I wonder if the difference is the length of the discharge hose? I don't have trouble with blockages but it is a short down hill run to my tank from the toilet. How about it Baggers, is your discharge hose longer than four or five feet? I would also like to say to you Ewwwww! But I guess it beats cleaning out the hose.
Old 23-05-2012, 15:19   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
We just use regular ole Scott single ply tissue. It's waaaaaaay cheaper than marine or RV tp and works just fine. No clogs so far, knock wood....

Scott
Another vote for Scotts single ply. Buy in bulk at Costco.
Old 23-05-2012, 15:25   #15

Is your toilet to tank piping of the corrugated type? Replace with smooth wall if so.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank