Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 12:20   #1

Good Boat Insurance Companies

Hi everyone,
First time here and I was hoping you could help me with some information. My dad wants me to check out some boat insurance for him online (He barely knows how to use our computer) because he's looking into buying a boat this spring.

I know nothing about it or what should be included in insurance. But I found a boat insurance guide here that has been pretty helpful. I was wondering if any of you have an experience with this company you could share with me? How is their insurance? How is their service?

Their name is United Marine Underwriters and I've never heard of them. But I did a Google search and they came up in the top with Geico and Progressive. I would really appreciate any info you could give me.
D_Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 12:56   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Good Boat Insurance Companies

Depending on what kind of boat you have you may want to consider "real" marine insurance. Progressive and Geico are really automotive insurers who insure some (smaller) boats. They don't offer the things that "real" marine insurance offers like pollution liability (when your boat sinks and hundreds of gallons of diesel and lube oil foul the beaches), towing, dinghy loss, etc.

Contact a marine insurance broker. Al Golden of IMIS Corp and Jack Martin Insurance are two good ones.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 13:04   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

also depends on age and size of boat. some insurers like progressive won't even touch a boat that is 15 or 20 years old. boatUS offers marine insurance.
Old 24-02-2011, 13:11   #4

I know a great insurance guy in San Diego. Has helped me out on a few occasions. Not sure what state/country you'll need insurance for but if you're in California and/or need to deal with Mexico:

Rebel Heart - Sailing, cruising, liveaboard blog and website - Eric's Blog - good bluewater boat insurance*guy
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 13:13   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good Boat Insurance Companies

I always use Panteneaus.... both for personal use and for any boats I deliver if the owners want to go full cover for the trip... many of my deliveries are liability only boats... must brush up my posh accent...
Any claims I've made have been promptly settled (Lightning etc) and a surveyors quickly on the scene to assess damage so's there's a minmum time lag before you can start effecting repairs and get on your way...
Usual disclaimers... just a very satisfied customer

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote