Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2010, 17:02   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Frustrations with Mercury Customer Service

I had been looking for a new engine but wanted a charging system on it. I found a motor without one so I called Mercury and asked them if it would be hard to install one myself. "No problem," I'm told, then the guy adds, "One afternoon and $40 for a rectifier." So I get the rectifier, which comes with instructions . . . instructions indicate you need to install it with an alternator. I call Mercury, again, for the part number. Part comes two weeks later . . . wrong part with missing components! Go to local mechanic, again, and by actually looking at the parts diagram he determines that I need to order $100 alternator and the alternator needs to be put in under the flywheel. Mercury says flywheel puller is $270! I go back to the local mechanic and have it pulled for $20, put in alternator and original rectifier . . . doesn't work! Just as I put my flywheel back on I get a sinking feeling...no magnets on the inside. Sure enough I go back online and look at the diagram there is a special flywheel for sale: $275.

Might I also mention that by the end of this I will be out about $600 and a month of stress instead of one afternoon and $40. Our departure date is rapidly approaching and I still have no way of charging my batteries.

The irony is that if I had stuck with my original outboard, I could have used the money I spent trying to add a charging system onto the Mercury to buy a minimal solar charging set-up.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 18:27   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Ok, first the good news. The Mercury is made by Tohatsu, and is identical. You can shop either the Tohatsu dealer or the Nissan dealer.

I have the charging coil and rectifier on my Tohatsu 6. If I could easily remove them and give them to you I would happily do so. I have a Link 10 battery monitor, and can tell you that the best I have seen from the charging system is about an amp... not really worth the effort IMHO.

Put any money into a slightly larger solar panel and I think you will be more happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I had been looking for a new engine but wanted a charging system on it. I found a motor without one so I called Mercury and asked them if it would be hard to install one myself. "No problem," I'm told, then the guy adds, "One afternoon and $40 for a rectifier." So I get the rectifier, which comes with instructions . . . instructions indicate you need to install it with an alternator. I call Mercury, again, for the part number. Part comes two weeks later . . . wrong part with missing components! Go to local mechanic, again, and by actually looking at the parts diagram he determines that I need to order $100 alternator and the alternator needs to be put in under the flywheel. Mercury says flywheel puller is $270! I go back to the local mechanic and have it pulled for $20, put in alternator and original rectifier . . . doesn't work! Just as I put my flywheel back on I get a sinking feeling...no magnets on the inside. Sure enough I go back online and look at the diagram there is a special flywheel for sale: $275.

Might I also mention that by the end of this I will be out about $600 and a month of stress instead of one afternoon and $40. Our departure date is rapidly approaching and I still have no way of charging my batteries.

The irony is that if I had stuck with my original outboard, I could have used the money I spent trying to add a charging system onto the Mercury to buy a minimal solar charging set-up.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 22:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Ok, first the good news. The Mercury is made by Tohatsu, and is identical. You can shop either the Tohatsu dealer or the Nissan dealer.

I have the charging coil and rectifier on my Tohatsu 6. If I could easily remove them and give them to you I would happily do so. I have a Link 10 battery monitor, and can tell you that the best I have seen from the charging system is about an amp... not really worth the effort IMHO.

Put any money into a slightly larger solar panel and I think you will be more happy.
Faith thank you for the offer, I wish there was an easy way to pull your flywheel off, I would mail you mine to you, we could do a swap. It really bums me out that you have only seen an amp from this thing. I really wish I had just bought the solar panel but I have already spent a bunch of money on this thing. Ughh. I am aware of the Tohatsu situation, adding to the general confusion, every part I have ordered has has a tohatsu part number on it.
Old 20-06-2010, 17:12   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
FWIW,

I think you will be much happier with this motor (WRT HP) then you were with your old one.

Good luck.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 17:39   #5
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Loved my old 9.9 hp yamaha 4 stroke that charged. 12 amps with no mods
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 16:24   #6

Yeah I had that motor but it was just too heavy. Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke only has a 6 amp alternator in it.

Tags
mercury