Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2016, 14:10   #16

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Does anyone have experience with dc powered air conditioners

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce v View Post
I think you are comparing optimum performance to needed productive performance. 14 degrees C. means an output of 57 degrees F. If it's 90 degrees or more outside, a 75 degree output would drop temps enough to make it more enjoyable (at least I would think so). Water temp for that needs only be 65 F. Going down 10 to 15 feet below the surface would supply those numbers in many places. If you are looking at practical vs. wishful energy expenditure still thinking its a possibility. Of course, that's just my take. I am planning on putting it to the real test this following summer while I cruise the Caribbean.

In most anchorages I go, the water temp at 15-20 ft is warm. Certainly over 22c. And you can't drop the heat exchanger lower as if it's a lot deeper you probably aren't anchoring. I don't want to sound negative, but....

Good luck with your experiment. Let us know how it works out.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 14:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
While I don't agree with the idea, look here.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...defined-home#/
Another solution. Cheap to buy. Funny thing is the power use is more or less the same as for the two units I looked at in my posts above. A little more in fact. Which is what you expect as they are promoting a compact design, but you need big surface areas, not compact designs to get good efficiency.

I'm with you on the get used to it idea. I have all the kit and don't use it.
Old 13-08-2016, 14:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
In most anchorages I go, the water temp at 15-20 ft is warm. Certainly over 22c. And you can't drop the heat exchanger lower as if it's any deeper you probably aren't anchoring. I don't want to sound negative, but....

Good luck with your experiment. Let us know how it works out.
OK, one more thought and I'll quit pounding the drum. If my math is correct, 22 degrees C is equals to 71.6 F. That to me is quite cool, especially it outside temp is 95+ F. That tends to make inside temp around 100+. Usually one would think circulating 72 degree air inside a 100+ room should provide measurable relief. And, yes, I will let you know how it works out. Good luck with your dilemma. Bruce V
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 14:26   #19

Boat: Shopping

Mini split units with inverter technology advertise SEERs greater than 20.

For 12,000 btu, an SEER of 20 implies power consumption of 600w on average, no?
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 15:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce v View Post
OK, one more thought and I'll quit pounding the drum. If my math is correct, 22 degrees C is equals to 71.6 F. That to me is quite cool, especially it outside temp is 95+ F. That tends to make inside temp around 100+. Usually one would think circulating 72 degree air inside a 100+ room should provide measurable relief. And, yes, I will let you know how it works out. Good luck with your dilemma. Bruce V
It might be cool, but it isn't cool enough. Sorry I can't do Fahrenheit, but with your example roughly, say 22C chiller temp and 32C air temp 10 degree temp difference. Compare this to an aircon. -5C evaporator coil in, air temp 32C in and 12 C out. So a 37C temp difference gives a 20 deg output temp drop, but that translates to an air temp drop of half the difference or 10C drop because heat is continually being added, so 22C after a long while and that is with with a big evaporator/compressor. In your system using its ratios of in to out temp would mean a quarter cooling, so a 5 C temp drop in output then halving the ambient temp difference, so a 2.5 C room temp drop. I think it will be worse as the system is very small and you have to add back the motor heat. If you get even a 2C drop the chilled beers are on me.

Tags
enc