Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 03:26   #1

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
c-map support

i recently bought a c-map max chart to use on my laptop with my SOB nav software. i have the dongle. during the loading process from the cd something went wrong and everything crashed. by the time i got it running again i discovered the chart license key hadn't written to the dongle and, even though loaded, the chart was not viewable.

fearing the absolute worst i emailed c-map support and, against all expectation, they were extremely helpful, went thru some diagnostics and then gave me a new license code

evrything now works as advertised

from their IP address the support was out of italy
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:48   #2

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
I have been very impressed with the level of service I've received from them over the years. I'm surprised and disappointed that Raymarine has switched to Navionics.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:39   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleinamessage View Post
I have been very impressed with the level of service I've received from them over the years. I'm surprised and disappointed that Raymarine has switched to Navionics.
Many folks have the same sentiment. Last year in Georgetown one cruiser got a petition up to send to Raymarine/Navionics. I signed it but frankly I don't think it will improve Navionics. I think they're the biggest electronic chart outfit in the world and don't view user input as significant. Very poor.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:44   #4

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I've got Standard Horizon plotter, uses cmap. Very happy with it.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:09   #5

Boat: 40 Schucker 'Marguerite'
Send a message via AIM to gtmopat1
I concur with that. I have migrated over the years from the earlier Standard Horizons with C-Map and still have a CP-175 on the dash. Happily I found a very good deal at WestM last year for an old Display Raymarine SL70CRC+ on clearance, at the same time as a 30% sale. $450 out the door. The best part is this one was right before they switched from the C-map so I can use all my current cartridges. I have always liked them just didn't like how you used to have to buy the small cartridges. The Wides are very nice.

Pat
Marguerite
gtmopat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:13   #6

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I have had several Raymarine products over the years and I know they have a good following, but I am not all that impressed with the quality. i have a raymarine radar now and that's it, autopilot and anemometer are Comnav, chartplotter is Standard Horizon.

You can't beat the Standard Horizon warranty it's like 3 years, then after that it's a flat repair fee for life. ( i think it's $75, cant remember ) I've had 4 Garmin's previous to this one (not bad but pricey) and one Lowrance (DO NOT BUY LOWRANCE) I had nothing but issues with that thing and west marine gets them back constantly, i wouldn't be surprised to see them discontinue lowrance and eagle.

I am need of a replacement for my radar screen, i plan on buying a combo unit and having the plotter as a backup, it sure would have been nice if it used the same chip
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:07   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
For those that dont know C-Map has become a part of Jeppesen's marine division. Jeppesen is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Boeing Commercial Aviation Services and is reknown for the quality of their aviation charts.

I have seen a significant improvement in C-Map business approach, and particularly in making their better offers a global approach.

I like C-Map, and am pleased with this change.

Tags
c-map