Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2018, 20:30   #16

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Butane to Propane conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
What ever they put in 12 Lb, swap and go bottles Alan, The B-B-Que bottles, I thought it was butane,
My understanding is that Swap'n'Go is LPG (see: SWAP'n'GO BBQ Gas Bottles - ELGAS - LPG Gas for Home & Business). And in Aus, LPG is usually propane or propane with some butane.

But almost never 100% butane.

Elgas has a page dealing with the differences between propane and butane. And it notes that butane in Aus is usually only on special order (for greenhouses and the like). See: Butane vs Isobutane vs Propane - What is Butane? n-Butane vs i-Butane
Old 26-06-2018, 21:42   #17

Butane is what you get in disposable lighters. It has low vapour pressure which is why those little plastic lighters can hold it. You could never put propane in one of them.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 01:52   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
some stoves designed for butane don't even have a regulator..
That must be SO dangerous, got to be wrong. You're saying there are stoves which can take from near zero mB close to freezing to over 2,000mB at 32DegC rather than the normal 28mB coming out of a regulator?

Any links so we know what to avoid?

The European legal standard is EN 12864 annex M based on caravans/motor homes with added features which can take both propane/butane and outputs 30mB.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 03:15   #19

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
My understanding is that Swap'n'Go is LPG (see: SWAP'n'GO BBQ Gas Bottles - ELGAS - LPG Gas for Home & Business). And in Aus, LPG is usually propane or propane with some butane.

But almost never 100% butane.

Elgas has a page dealing with the differences between propane and butane. And it notes that butane in Aus is usually only on special order (for greenhouses and the like). See: Butane vs Isobutane vs Propane - What is Butane? n-Butane vs i-Butane
Thanks, I will look that up. Might even be worth a visit to the Supa Gas company, They are just down the road from me, They sell every thing,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 11:54   #20

Boat: Allied 39

We have been using butane here in French Polynesia for more than 3 years. Using the same propane system that worked for us in the states. Same regulator same burners etc. As a further note we have used the same system thru out Central and South America.

We have had no issues or any noticeable reduction in Linda’s great cooking

Was surprised to read that there is different regulators for propane and butane. As the propane regulators we bought in the states appear to have worked fine. Schooled again!

Cheers

Chuck
Jacaranda
Mo’orea, French Polynesia

Tags
propane