Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 10:35   #31

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale

The question of carrying a gun, and even more important, using it, is not easily answered. Everyone has to evaluate their own abilities and moralities. Once a bullet leaves the barrel it can't be called back.

I retired from Law Enforcement and was asked this question many times by homeowners. I always answered with telling them to get several good can's of pepper spray. Keeping them within easy reach of the areas they spend the most time in.

The goal was to disengage from the attack or intrusion and effect an escape from harm. It's not worth dying over, just isn't.

Pepper spray can be washed off. The accidental shooting of the wrong person can't as easily be taken back. I'm sure if you sprayed the wrong person with pepper spray amends could be made over a few beer's.

Some countries consider pepper spray a weapon, so check first.

I did see one suggestion that I truly like and have adopted. When in a questionable anchorage I scatter a handful of carpet tacks on the deck by the stern ladder. Even folded up it is still the best way to board. Most of the banditos are barefoot. Only takes about 30 seconds to sweep them over into a corner and recover them until needed again.

Let the bad guy be his own burglar alarm.

Cheers,
Old 30-10-2003, 20:02   #32

Im with Lannen on this one, I lived in PNG for 10 years the local criminal gangs would go to extraordinary lengths to steal guns and the people with them were less safe than the ones without. Unless you can sleep with one eye open a gun is not much use to you anyway. The best deterrent I have found is a good dog (ours is a Stafordshire very harmless but looks tough) dogs can sleep with one eye open and have great night vision.A dogs bark will scare off the most determined intruder.Shane
troppoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:45   #33

pirate

we have decided to build a bigger boat and put a cannon on the bow of the boat so that all can see the size of my gun and run away

on a serious note the reason we cruise smart is because we carry a gun but never show it unless its time to use it.....next question is when is it time?????????
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 16:23   #34

Maybe you are right the OZ Navy are selling of some of its destroyers now there is big boat with a big gun. That could compensate for many of my inadequacies. Most foreign ports you have to check your guns in so people will know. Shane
troppoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2004, 20:50   #35

Boat: Wellcraft 2900 Sport Bridge
Send a message via Yahoo to na232
Guns????? You bet!!!

I spent many years working as a member of an ambulance crew. I have seen first hand what gunshots look like and if I were a criminal I would run when I saw one of my intended victims with a gun.
Like many other things, there is a time and a place for guns. Just because you have a gun on your boat dosn't mean you have to pull it out every time you go on deck, but if I hear someone on my deck at three in the morning, you bet your a** I will pull it out. The key word here is "judgement". This is the possible taking of a human life we are talking about. Yes I would pull a gun and yes I would shoot someone if my life or someone else's life were in jepordy. Carrying a gun is a large, no very large, responsibility. Can you live with yourself after taking another life? I hope you are never put in that situation, but if you carry a gun you might very well be put in that situation.
The choice for me is an easy one. I can make that decision for me, but I can't make it for you. This is a choice like many others we make. All I can say is to pray about the situation and go from there.
na232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2004, 01:59   #36

Isn't it a tad hard to remove a connon to check at the door? Of all the isncident that have occured, at what point does not thinking about were you cruise into and out of become a habit?

I am a firm believer of think first then act. At the same time, I will defend my wife with my life. You want to come on board uninvited, be prepared to loose parts. Just don't be surprised as to how.

Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:34   #37
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
excuse me, I was just modifying my potato cannon to fire cold cans of beer....sort of a dual-purpose delivery system...