Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2011, 06:05   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Vertigo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Talk to your doctor about getting checked for labyrithitis... its a realtively common but often misdiagnosed viral infection that presents like vertigo / dizzyness

Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. It hits suddenly and then fades away. But it can break those crystals loose and create a longer-lasting problem. They take forever to dissolve, so it's much better to be able to just get them to settle back down where they belong, and it's REALLY good to know the exercises that can cause that to happen.

Often these things will wake you up in the middle of the night because you're so dizzy.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 06:07   #17
cruiser

Re: Vertigo ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I will consult a doctor. But I'm skeptical because I felt well before, during and after. Just vertigo during. If I were ill I'd think the symptoms might proceed or linger. Not in this case though.
It's not an "illness" in the traditional sense. You could have it going on in the doctor's exam room mildly and if you didn't tell the doctor he or she would have no idea. But it can become chronic if you don't deal with it. That's why I'm making such a big deal of it: it could kick you off your boat.
Old 20-09-2011, 06:12   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
perhaps you can try ginger pills.
read up on ginger and sea sickness.

ginger and vertigo gets a lot of info too
ginger and sea sickness - Google Search
Ginger pills will do absolutely nothing for what I'm talking about. If this stuff gets a good grip on you, it can mess with your vision as well, because vision and the inner ear are tightly tied together in the brain. It can cause rapid eye movements -- as in hundreds or even thousands per minute, making you see double and completely destroying your depth perception. THAT will kick you not only off your boat but out of your car.

I couldn't drive for two months.

Once you've had either of these things -- labyrinthitis or positional vertigo -- you'll suddenly meet other people who have been through it as well. It's serious because it can keep you from doing everything you enjoy, including reading -- and really screw with your life, keeping you from work or even driving.

What I'm saying that it could have been coincidence that it happened on the boat. Coincidences happen. Or it could be that it was there VERY mildly and the motion of the boat magnified it.
Old 20-09-2011, 06:16   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Thank you. I was offered ginger but declined. My stomach was never upset or queasy after that first initial upset. I was never miserable. I was able to perform "almost" normally. Ate and drank very well without upset. Socialized, walked, talked, never lost my balance, caught lines, tossed lines, I could do most anything. But damn, looking up to check the Tell-tails messed with me a bit! It's just weird!

Boy that sounds like positional vertigo to me (I'm not an MD! I've just had both). IF IT IS, it's really important to know the exercises to do, and to do them RIGHT away. That's why my second bout lasted three days instead of three months. And, it can start out mildly like that and then get a whole lot worse. I had thrown up so much they had to treat me in ER for dehydration. But in addition, when it gets bad, you just don't get up often enough to get liquids. The second time I wasn't vomiting and still got dehydrated.
Old 20-09-2011, 07:27   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

vertigo is a SYMPTOM of other things--many times is simply dehydration compounded by a common cold or flu bug. is why is dangerous for sailors to have flubugs.
2.7 liters of fluid is maintenance only, in the case of severe dehydration willnot correct the problem. 1 gallon is minimal for rehydration, 2 gallons is preferable, and will cause a change in hydration level. one bag iv fluid=2 gallon by oral method. drink much liquids.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 08:00   #21

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Read
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BPPV -- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

It happened to me, and the Epply maneuver cured it without having to go to the doctor.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 09:08   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
vertigo is a SYMPTOM of other things--many times is simply dehydration compounded by a common cold or flu bug. is why is dangerous for sailors to have flubugs.
2.7 liters of fluid is maintenance only, in the case of severe dehydration willnot correct the problem. 1 gallon is minimal for rehydration, 2 gallons is preferable, and will cause a change in hydration level. one bag iv fluid=2 gallon by oral method. drink much liquids.
The type of dizziness you get from labrynthitis or positional vertigo is very different than the kind of dizziness you get from dehydration or other medical emergencies. It's like bedspins. So the type of dizziness, and how you describe it to the doctor, is extremely important.

If it's labrynthitis or positional vertigo, it simply cannot be treated by oneself. it can get worse and worse and become completely incompacitating. I know because I had both, serially. My daughter had to come and take care of me for the first week. Mine was extremely severe but it shouldn't be ignored even when it's mild.

I'm not one to run to the doctor with every little thing, but this is one of those times.
Old 20-09-2011, 10:14   #23

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
I will consult a doctor. But I'm skeptical because I felt well before, during and after. Just vertigo during. If I were ill I'd think the symptoms might proceed or linger. Not in this case though.
I wonder if a long flight in those gawd awful airplane seats was just the position you needed. High altitude, ears popping, neck and head positioned just so. It resolving so spontaneously suggests it was a loose particle ( otoconia) that found it's way back to a place that doesn't stimulate you abnormally.

BUT - I really don't know what it was. I would stay the course, go play on the ocean, but learn some overtigo positional exercises - Yahoo! Video Search just in case it crops up again.
Hugs,
Erika
Old 20-09-2011, 17:03   #24

Dear Gadagirl,

You have the classic symptoms of acute viral labyrinthitis complicated by benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Patients with this type of vertigo (the sensation of movement when there is none) can pinpoint the date and time of day when the dreaded spins start. They are usually continuous for up to 1 week and then slowly abate. It is frequently complicated by the positional vertigo. The theory is that a virus entered your nose, travelled up your Eustachian tube to enter your middle ear. It then infected the inner ear balance system and wreaked havoc producing the acute vertigo. The virus caused microscopic debris to be released into the balance canals, the debris settled in the bottom canal (much like floaters in the eye). When you look up the debris "hits" the nerve endings to cause an acute short lived spinning sensation.
The Epley maneouver helps move the debris out of the troublesome area of the inner ear. You can google it and I suggest doing it yourself (no need to see a doctor for that) twice a day until your symptoms subside. The bad news is it may take up to 6 weeks.
This condition has nothing to do with sea sickness.
You do not have Meneire's disease.
You are not dehydrated.
There is no medical/natural product that will "cure you".
I would see an ENT surgeon if you symptoms persist past the 6 week mark, or if you experience severe tinnitus (ringing of the ears) and / or hearing loss.
Jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 18:28   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
OK I really appreciate such tremendous feed back!
As said I plan to consult a doctor just to make sure there are no underlying medical problems.
I appreciate the deep concern but I'm just not as panicked about this as some of you are.
I feel great! There were NO lingering effects. I was dehydrated. The pinch test on the back of my hand determined that quite nicely. I had problems clearing my ears while the plane was landing, I always do, because of scar tissue from ear infections as a child. I drank Gator aid and took decongestants and improved gradually but not completely. Until......a couple hours after I flew out.
So taking all the responses into account I am going with a combo of dehydration, ear congestion (possible minor virus) and altitude adjustment from the plane landing. My symptoms ended after leaving the boat, so clearly motion had a major part in it. Pacific vs. Atlantic swells? That's why I'm concerned. I want to sail
I posted this question for some reasons. 1) I've never seen vertigo discussed related to sailing, without the accompany of stomach problems (sea sick)
2) I wanted to share my experience so others might know ( inspired by that great medical thread that was closed)
3) I was curious if I was the only one to experience that.
4) I wanted to be reassured that I can prevent future episodes and sail as a "non" dizzy ( for me :-) ) in the future.

Thanks for all of your great input and sharing your own experiences!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 18:47   #26

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl
OK I really appreciate such tremendous feed back!
As said I plan to consult a doctor just to make sure there are no underlying medical problems.
I appreciate the deep concern but I'm just not as panicked about this as some of you are.
I feel great! There were NO lingering effects. I was dehydrated. The pinch test on the back of my hand determined that quite nicely. I had problems clearing my ears while the plane was landing, I always do, because of scar tissue from ear infections as a child. I drank Gator aid and took decongestants and improved gradually but not completely. Until......a couple hours after I flew out.
So taking all the responses into account I am going with a combo of dehydration, ear congestion (possible minor virus) and altitude adjustment from the plane landing. My symptoms ended after leaving the boat, so clearly motion had a major part in it. Pacific vs. Atlantic swells? That's why I'm concerned. I want to sail
I posted this question for some reasons. 1) I've never seen vertigo discussed related to sailing, without the accompany of stomach problems (sea sick)
2) I wanted to share my experience so others might know ( inspired by that great medical thread that was closed)
3) I was curious if I was the only one to experience that.
4) I wanted to be reassured that I can prevent future episodes and sail as a "non" dizzy ( for me :-) ) in the future.

Thanks for all of your great input and sharing your own experiences!
If it makes you feel better it is possible to sail even with constant vertigo issues. You just have to learn what you can do and find work arounds for what you can't. It's doable if determined. As I say Shen here is a will there's a way. :-). SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 18:47   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

gadagirl--i suggested dehydration as is exactly same sym,ptoms i have when i am such--i have reynaud's disease and flubugs give me this occasionally if i am dry. also because is the easiest fix. if it works, nothing more needs to be done. dont need to make a big deal out of something simple. troubleshooting people is just like troubleshooting cars. same systems, similar problems. is just the parts are softer.
is a simple thing to drink extra fluids, and if no response--see an md-- that way, IF it does work, then is alll goood and if not=-- aint gonna hurt none.
but the spinning, then vomit, then being a lil "off" is good old severe dehydration. beyond the dizzzy with standing dryness. the vomit comes AFTER the orthostatic hypotension, or dizzy with standing.
the drier you get, the more ill the stomach gets. is why we gave kids with gut flu half strength gatorade-- is able to be kept down and helps prevent severe dehydration.
i am glad you are better--

dont forget-

-if you sweat, you must replace that out-going water. if you dont sweat, you need to replace a cup an hour anyway, just make it 2 cups.

at night we lose 250 cc's or one cup of water in breathing, more in daylight. needs to be replaced.

what is peed out must be taken back into the body-- if you pee out a half gallon then you need to drink that much.

add extra for maintenance and ambiant loss.....then you wont get too dry.

is more important as you get older to replace that which is secreted and excreted in volume replacement.

most individuals run a bit dehydrated , and is easy to become more so with a lil push from a virus.

never rule out dehydration, as it can kill you if severe enough.

by the way--one is NOT able to sail with severe dehydration. is very dangerous. good way to become lost at sea watching your boat sail off without you on board.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 19:31   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
Dear Gadagirl,

You have the classic symptoms of acute viral labyrinthitis complicated by benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Patients with this type of vertigo (the sensation of movement when there is none) can pinpoint the date and time of day when the dreaded spins start. They are usually continuous for up to 1 week and then slowly abate. It is frequently complicated by the positional vertigo. The theory is that a virus entered your nose, travelled up your Eustachian tube to enter your middle ear. It then infected the inner ear balance system and wreaked havoc producing the acute vertigo. The virus caused microscopic debris to be released into the balance canals, the debris settled in the bottom canal (much like floaters in the eye). When you look up the debris "hits" the nerve endings to cause an acute short lived spinning sensation.
The Epley maneouver helps move the debris out of the troublesome area of the inner ear. You can google it and I suggest doing it yourself (no need to see a doctor for that) twice a day until your symptoms subside. The bad news is it may take up to 6 weeks.
You are not dehydrated.
I would see an ENT surgeon if you symptoms persist past the 6 week mark, or if you experience severe tinnitus (ringing of the ears) and / or hearing loss.

Oh I completely agree with you on that. I suppose it's possible to learn the Epley maneuver online but I really think it would be better to see an ENT first. You have to know what you're dealing with. In my case, we absolutely know that looking up (REALLY looking straight up for more than a few seconds can set me off.

And as I say, the first time I had this combination it was three months before it cleared up completely. That was because I didn't realize the second condition had developed.

It was horrendous and I don't ever want to go through that again. Knowing with confidence what you're dealing with and how to deal with it is the key.
Old 21-09-2011, 17:07   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman
Dear Gadagirl,

You are not dehydrated.

I finally took the time and googled as you suggested.
Very ironic that I was somewhat practicing the Eply maneuver, without knowing what it was, while I was experiencing these symptoms.
Since turning my head side to side did not bother me, I took to sleeping on my back with my head turned to the side. Often changing sides. Then I'd usually turn and sleep on my side. Funny how discomfort can instinctively lead to doing what's best.
The description of BPPV does seem to match what I was experiencing. I imagine I'd think it horrible if it carried on for weeks on end. But since I didn' feel sick and was still enjoying myself, I just dealt with it and carried on. If I had to look up I just looked up slowly. :-) I also think the dehydration on the day I started experiencing symptoms made it worse.
I'll know everything right to do should it reoccur.

Thank you!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 17:22   #30

Boat: Valiant 32

I got vertigo after a 6 hour trip to Catalina from LA. I was feeling mildly unwell on the voyage over. The next morning, I woke up in the v-berth, bouncing on anchor, and I had very bad headspins and extreme nausea. I took the dinghy to shore and sat on the beach for an hour with my head spinning out of control. I've never had anything quite like that before. I get seasick, but it always goes away immediately after I get off the boat. In this case, the spinning was intense for an hour, and then subsided over the course of the day.

I spent two years sailing the Pacific and this vertigo experience happened a couple of years later. Seasickness works in mysterious ways …