Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2015, 19:44   #46
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Suspected pirate Attempted boarding, Honduras

The issue I brought up was universal training on risk assessment and use.

Have spent a lot of time in Israel where Krav Maga is taught to every citizen, so that they don't freeze when attacked by someone, I admire their proactive approach.

Every 22 year old has had army service, understands brotherhood and teamwork, has developed a natural risk awareness and comfortably carries some form of personal protection, in case they are attacked.

Yes they are surrounded by enemies wishing their extinction, just as was the same in Northern Europe in the 1940's.

So their situation is extreme compared to the US, but perhaps we can learn from their practical approach of creating a culture of self defense.

They have transformed an economic dessert into a viable home, which the neighborhood covets..... Not unlike what is happening in the rest of the world.
Old 14-10-2015, 19:52   #47

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
The issue I brought up was universal training on risk assessment and use.

Have spent a lot of time in Israel where Krav Maga is taught to every citizen, so that they don't freeze when attacked by someone, I admire their proactive approach.

Every 22 year old has had army service, understands brotherhood and teamwork, has developed a natural risk awareness and comfortably carries some form of personal protection, in case they are attacked.

Yes they are surrounded by enemies wishing their extinction, just as was the same in Northern Europe in the 1940's.

So their situation is extreme compared to the US, but perhaps we can learn from their practical approach of creating a culture of self defense.

They have transformed an economic dessert into a viable home, which the neighborhood covets..... Not unlike what is happening in the rest of the world.
And in stark contrast is the US military which is prohibited from carrying firearms even after they have been targeted as sitting ducks. I would doubt many Isaraeli citizens feel anything but comfort having their military walk around with M-16's.
Old 14-10-2015, 20:06   #48

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Rather odd indeed.
Why do fisherman follow you for miles even after being shooed away? And why did they leave after we called out a pan pan distress call? Odd indeed.

I guess when this episode comes out on my channel people will have to judge for themselves. Good old gopros in the cockpit recording everything.....

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 14-10-2015, 20:10   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
And in stark contrast is the US military which is prohibited from carrying firearms even after they have been targeted as sitting ducks. I would doubt many Isaraeli citizens feel anything but comfort having their military walk around with M-16's.
Exactly!!
Just does not make sense, except to prove that the US government does not trust their recruits
Old 14-10-2015, 20:34   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Why do fisherman follow you for miles even after being shooed away? And why did they leave after we called out a pan pan distress call? Odd indeed.

I guess when this episode comes out on my channel people will have to judge for themselves. Good old gopros in the cockpit recording everything.....

Look forward to it, but only if your cool dog makes an appearance.

Soooo . . . if it's all caught on tape, why don't you just tell us what caused you to believe they intended to board? Brandishing weapons? Hands moving towards your toerails? Bad guys climbing up on the deck of their fish boats to more easily overcome your freeboard? Because taking steps to board really is where the line gets crossed, no? I mean it's not likely to be the obvious scenario with masked guys sporting AK-47's in fast boats, right? If it happens, it's more likely someone feigning distress or acting innocently to get close to your boat. Like you describe, except the part about them trying to board. The Facebook pic just shows three guys standing in their own boat with an M1-A pointed at them. Not exactly a depiction of guys trying to board your boat!

This sort of episode is too concerning to use it merely to attract viewers to your youTube page.
Old 14-10-2015, 20:40   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Exactly!!
Just does not make sense, except to prove that the US government does not trust their recruits
Even though there's now increasing evidence that shooters purposely seek out defenseless victims, i.e. so-called "gun-free" zones. Schools, colleges, military bases & recruitment centers (ironically), movie theaters, etc. I don't mind the concept of a "gun-free" zone, but I'd much prefer if the proponents wouldn't so freely advertise that fact!
Old 14-10-2015, 20:53   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Thread closed.

The moment it starts diverting to discussion of firearms, 2nd Amendment, RTBA, etc. we are off topic and it no longer has anything else to do with the issue.

The last number of posts no longer address the issue the OP talked about. Take it to the Gun Owners Group.

Tags
Honduras