Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 06:56   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 36ft sloop
strong odors

Not sure where to post this:

From the head, a strong odor (non-human waste) fills the cabin daily. My repair man says its due to the marine plankton and microbes in the toilet. He recommended I field day the hell out of it with cleaner, and rinse with fresh water. Easy enough.

Now, never having had a boat with a head, not really sure what cleaner is safe onboard and for the environment. Thoughts?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:02   #2

Re: strong odors

Search posts from user 'Peg Hall'. She literally wrote the book on eliminating head odors. I followed her advice to use vinegar successfully.
67Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:05   #3

Thanks, will do
Old 09-05-2013, 07:07   #4

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Pine Sol is something to consider, as well. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:09   #5

Boat: Morgan 27
Is the head salt water? If so clean the tank with fresh water and bleach mixed 50/50 to kill the bacteria. Check the seal from the head to the tank. Liquid tight is not always air tight, I would also check the vent. Do you use a holding tank deodorizer. good luck, cheers
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:13   #6

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Not a bad idea to use bleach/water solution, however...it will corrode all metals that will be in its contact; flush plenty with fresh water, afterwards. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:16   #7

I heard others mention Pine Sol and bleach, are these agents harmful to environment? I'm cautious of that and want to remain non toxic (as much as I can) to the planet!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:18   #8

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I suspect the iner diameter of your toilet hose are the size of a thin hair, probably time to replace that hoses to, dirty hoses and with a thick buildup of cryogenic **** smell no matter how good you clean the bowl!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:27   #9

Really, look for posts from Peggy.

Peggy's strategy (and the one I follow with great results) is to not kill the bacteria in the tank but to let them do their job breaking down the waste. This doesn't smell.

A big dose of bleach or typical head chemical will kill off the bacteria. She recommends Raritan's CP (cleans potties) and KO (kills Odor). Both are natural and don't kill the bacteria. I also use the fairly similiar Odorloss. All are available at West Marine. All of these have minimal impact on the environment and no "chemical/perfume" odor that my wife can't stand. A cup of white vinegar once a week also helps keep things clean.

If your hoses (in and out) are 10 years old, there's a really good chance that's the source of the smell as they have become permeated. This just happens and no amount of cleaning will help. Peggy suggests ways to check. Replacing the hoses may fix the problem. Check the holding tank vent hose too.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:28   #10

Boat: Morgan 27
To me bleach at 50/50 is good. Remenber you will be pumping it out at a Marina pump out station and not into the basin. You can buy good marine bio detergent to help break down soilds and make your tank smell good, that is 100% safe for dumping over board once past the 3 mile mark.
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:09   #11

On my boat, most odor problems arise from the intake. If the boat sits unused awhile (say, a month), the salt water in the intake goes septic......I have no way to flush it with fresh as I did on my last boat. Solution is a whole lot of flushing. Occasionally I see some black stuff go by......I think it coats the inside of the intake hose and pump. A whole lot of pumping clears it up. Unfortunately, no way to add bleach to the intake........
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 14:49   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Pine Sol is something to consider, as well. Mauritz
Pine Sol will destroy any rubber in the system in short order. Don't even think about it. Raritan CP can be used to clean the head itself, leaving a little bit in the bottom of the bowl once it's been cleaned out. Add a small raw water strainer to you system near the thru-hull and periodically shut the thru hull, clean the strainer basket out, add a small chip off a chlorine pool table--and I do mean small--and the marine organisms will not be able to proliferate in your system. A longer term approach is to add a small roll of copper grounding foil to the strainer. As the copper dissolves, it will prevent growth in the raw water system.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 14:52   #13

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I think we need a new forum: Strong Odors. For that matter, there are certainly enough threads on the topic for an entire new website.
Old 09-05-2013, 17:37   #14

Boat: Van De Stadt "Helena" 38
Agree with Penelope. Only odour on our boat is from saltwater flush - dead micro organisms on inlet side. Not a problem if head flushed frequently but will stink after a couple of days inactivity. Helps to rinse under rim of bowl with fresh water. We use our bum gun (shower hose). Also if inlet hose is old might be a good idea to replace it.
If problem is on outlet side nose and damp cloth wipe of hoses will detect penetrating odours. If so replace. I think you already have good info re holding tank and venting.
GypsyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 04:30   #15

Boat: Cutter rigged Tahitiana

Holding tanks need to have aerobic bacteria encouraged to accelerate waste breakdown. Antiseptic solutions do the opposite.

If you can't afford 'BioMagic' (and who can), go to your supermarket and buy any homebrand nappy cleaner containing sodium percarbonate, which through an organic process encourages the 'good' aerobic bacteria.

The best and most helpful source of information on human waste disposal can be found on RV and caravan club website forums.

Penelope, on my boat I have an open/shut T-valve off my intake hose leading to a small bilge pump. If I haven't been on the boat for a while I just pump the stagnant water out of the intake hose.

Christian from 'Beatrice' (Tasmania)
Christian W. is offline   Reply With Quote